Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering has anyone installed a set of cam shafts, and if so how long was the job, or has anyone had them installed at the dealer, and what the cost was, thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A couple of hours for a good job, probably less. Its not hard to do, but making a mistake will cause major damage. A manual is highly recommended.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam

thanks for getting back, I wont be doing the work, I'm bringing it into the stealer, I have no choice, hopefully 5 or less hrs, I plan on spending between $400-$500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no my bike is brand new, putting gsxr 750 cams in my Katana, the cam swap makes a huge difference in performance,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Be sure to tell us how it turns out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cam Install

What year is your Katana?

Swapped the cams and "rocker arms" I think that was what they were called, on my 89 GSXR750 years ago. If my memory serves me cams were around $250 and (8) rockers about $25 a piece. Did the work myself so no labour cost. All parts bought at Suzuki dealer so paid top dollar!! Where was the internet / EBay back then!

·
Registered
167 Posts
1/2 way said:
no my bike is brand new, putting gsxr 750 cams in my Katana, the cam swap makes a huge difference in performance,
I assume your're going to re-jet/tune the carbs (or custom chip??), recurve the ignition, and modify gearing to compliment the new cams?

What about maximum RPM? I'd have to guess the GSXR cams probably require to spin higher RPM to make power. Is that safe for the rest of the Katana engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cam

yes going to re-jet,install a 5 degree igntion advancer, and thats all to it, and I dont even have to do that, it's a perfect swap, but only the 1989 gsxr 750 cams will go into the katanas, no modifying at all, just take the katana cam out and throw in the 750's, all the specs are the same, everything matches up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts