Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looking good

Some top picks in the galery, hope all goes well for the season:thumb:
TT practice starts at the end of the month and racing starts in June. I will be in the UK around that time so might try and get over:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
TALES FROM T HE NW 200 - OUCH !!

Latest Report... 16 May 2006

North West 200

What a week of racing!

This has been without a doubt the toughest week I have had in a long while. Straight from our Tandragee 100 celebrations, it was up to the PortRushCoast to set up the team's pit awning.

The team have recently acquired a 45 ft semi-trailer with the ex-team Honda wrap around awning to be used at all the international races. Man it this thing huge! We have enough room in our awning for all the bikes, hospitality and plenty to spare. It makes it great for everyone to get out of the weather.

Tuesday night was the first practice/qualifying session and I headed out on my Robinson's Concrete Honda to record the 6th fastest time on my third lap, feeling very comfortable around the track.

Next I was out on the Wilson Craig 600cc machine and the week began to get a little more trying! On my first lap entering Church bend a second gear right-hander I changed line to pass some slower riders and as I crossed a man hole cover the back end came round on me. No probs I thought, just a small slide until I came to an abrupt stop against the curb to the Church fence feet first!

Straight away I knew I was in trouble as my heels were hurting bad and I was in the ambulance to hospital straight away.

Gareth Robinson and Tash got to the hospital soon after to find me in bed looking worse for wear and still in a lot of pain. After the x-rays I was informed I had a fracture in the left heel but both heels were very badly bruised.

I have to say it took me a long time to convince the doctor and nurse to strap my feet and not plaster them! Knowing plaster would be an instant end to my race week.

Thursday night I was back at the circuit to pass a brief medical examination. Showing the doc that the pain in my heels was not going to effect how I could ride the bike as my foot rests are either in the middle arch or the balls of my feet.

First I was out on my John Harris Motorcycles Superstock Honda to do a few easy laps and loosen up. This was my first time on the Superstock bike this year.

Next up back out on the 600cc and trouble again. On my first lap entering the Corona chicane I was over the highside and sliding down the road again. This time it was my hip taking the beating of the curb.

Straight away I knew something was wrong with the bike. The marshals confirmed this on telling me that the black flag was out for me at the next corner and my bike had been smoking since I began the lap.

Unfortunately I had a small oil leak that found it's way to my back tire and I was down.

Come race day I was very sore but blue sky and 120.000 people at the North West 200 was too much to miss and I was back to the doc for my medical clearance.

I have to thank to doctors for their help all week but there is no thanks for the part where I had to jump down two steps and land on each foot to prove I had strength in my feet/ankles!! After that I figured the bike would be a breeze and I was out for the first Superbike race.

Not a bad start and away in about 6th before catching Ian Lougher on the Stobart Honda. Ian and myself had a great race with our two Hondas evenly matched down the huge NW straights where we both reached speeds of 196 mph!

I managed to get Ian at the finish line to take fourth place.

Next I was out on the John Harris Superstock bike to get some extra laps and a little more time on this brand new Honda.

I'd qualified about 11th for this class and after a big moment with some other riders in lap one I was way down the field. Unfortunately my team mate Les Shand who was riding well in this race crashed and broke his collar bone in the Corona Chicane! I think that next year that could be the Uel Duncan chicane!!!

Now for the main event, the 2006 North West 200. Although sore I was looking forward to the challenge.

Having a blinder of a start I slipped into second place behind Michael Rutter into turn one and put my head down, knowing I had some very strong riders and bikes on my trail. The speed of my Robinson's Concrete Superbike held off the boys behind down the first long straight but heading into Metropole corner Bruce and Ian pushed up the inside under breaks. I ran wide so Plater and McGuinness also came by and I went from 2nd to 6th in one turn.

Next it was Guy Martin on the AIM Yamaha to pass me and I was in 7th!

Setting into the race I could see that Guy and I were slowing each other up and letting the others get away. So I put my head down passing them both and chasing McGuinness. Unfortunately Bruce Anstey had to pull out with a mechanical failure which meant I was up to 4th position and chasing John as I wanted a podium.

I made some ground for a couple of laps before my body started hurting more, causing me to ease up and ride home a safe and sound 4th!!!!!

So overall I am stoked, considering that both nights of practice I thought the week was over and even though we just missed the podium in both legs I had run as high as second against some of the best riders around.

Now it's rest and nothing more for me until the TT practice begins on the 27th of this month.

A massive thanks to the whole team this weekend as everybody worked so hard and it showed with the Uel Duncan racing team standing out as the friendliest/happiest in the paddock.

Thanks again Uel, Davy, Tash and sorry for causing you guys so much stress over the last weekend wondering where I was!

Cheers,

Cam #86

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Geeeze

Bloody hell, thrilling stuff or what:squid:

I watched the Tandragee 100 on telly this week and there was some brilliant footage of Cam. They even had an on bike camera on him. Fingers crossed for the TT.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the little fella even got his own article in MCN ! they called him 'The hard case ozzy'
Got an email off him a week ago and he'll hopefully be geting a few rides in the British Superstocks this year, which will be good for me as i'll try to blag hospitality tickets, he still owes me for breaking the tls at pg :D

Tug,

When you over? Where will you be? And do you fancy a pint and a curry with me and the boss?

will be at assen for the GP from the 21st june till the 27th june, but free other than at, and be good to meet up.

Hope every one is well

Mr & Mrs Tls Boy

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
UK

I get in on June 17th and leave on July 3rd.
Im doing a bit if a Bob the Builder as we have a new flat to get ready so not sure how much time we will have. are you going to the TT?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rider: Cameron Donald
Number of TT wins: 0
Number of TT podiums: 0
Fastest TT Lap: 119.67mph (67th)
Team for 2006: Uel Duncan Racing Honda

Arguably the sensation of TT2005, Donald left with the much coveted Newcomers Trophy and only just missed out on a top ten finish on his debut, also lapping a whisker under 120mph. A two-time winner of the 600cc Macau Grand Prix. Cameron went on to excel at the Ulster Grand Prix and comes to this year's TT as part of the formidable Uel Duncan Racing squad. One of the most exciting road racing prospects to emerge in recent times, he now has top class machinery at his disposal so expect to see the likeable Australian shine even further.

One to watch this year.....:eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cameron on TV

Star Sports actually had a 30minute motorsport show that included Irish RR!! :eek: :D
Pleased to see that Cameron has made it to TV all the way here in Singers. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
642 Posts
PODIUM RESULT AT THE SENIOR

Can you believe this ... Cameron Donald comes 2nd in the Senior TT to John McGuinness on the HM Plant Honda

Cameron also achieves a 128+ mph average lap .....

And all only on his second attempt .....

'kin hell ... just incredible.!!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Official Press Release from IOMTT.COM

John McGuinness completes TT Festival hat-trick with Senior TT victory

John McGuinness shattered both lap and race records as he scorched to his
third victory of the week in the Isle of Man TT Festival, finishing ahead of Cameron Donald, Bruce Anstey and Ian Lougher as Honda riders packed three of the top four finishing positions in the prestigious Senior race.

The 32-year-old Morecambe rider used the tried and tested tactics of powering as fast as possible into the opening to break the challenge of his rivals, and he has a superbly prepared HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR for the race. The machine had been specially prepared for the rigours of racing this difficult 37.73mile public roads Mountain Course and McGuinness used its qualities to the full, taking his career eleventh success and also the 130th TT success for Honda.

McGuinness was ahead, but by only half a second, as they charged through Glen Helen for the first time, but mile by mile, he was extending his advantage, and also upping the record speed, taking that opening lap in 17m 39.95secs, an average speed of 128.146mph, faster than the record he set in his winning TT Superbike ride the previous Saturday.

But there was better to come with McGuinness revelling in the near perfect,
sun-drenched conditions as he shook off the challenges of Guy Martin and then Cameron Donald. As he pitted for fuel and a change of rear wheel, he had powered further into the unknown, with a lap on 17m 29.26mph, an average speed of 129.451mph.

That put him 12 seconds ahead of the determined Donald, aboard the Robinson Concrete backed Honda CBR1000RR. The Aussie, riding in only his second year on the Island, and with broken heels, the result of a crash in last month's North West 200, clocked a second lap of 128.445mph.

He was trying everything he knew, but McGuinness had not only speed on the
road, he also had the slicker pit-crew, and twice they played a major role in maintaining his supremacy.

At that second refuelling halt, McGuinness was running 25 seconds ahead, and he was able to ride within himself over the final two laps, checking his signalling boards to take the victory that puts him level third with Philip McCallen and the late, great Steve Hislop in the list of all time TT winners.

John, Cameron and Bruce celebrate on the podium
Honda Pro Images

"I don't think that I have ever ridden better round here than that. It was an unbelievable victory, awesome. I decided to push from the very start, the bike did not miss a beat, but they pushed me all of the way. It was a tough race.

"The second lap felt good and fast. I had a blistering ride over the mountain, and was able to focus in on Guy Martin as a marker, and then I went ahead of him on the road. It was a terrific lap.

"I am not too fussed about speed, rather, I wanted the win, but this time is was a case of going as fast as you could to achieve that," reflected McGuinness as he took the race, in record time, by 20 seconds from Donald, who commented: "I'm still stunned with that. It is only 18 months ago that they invited me to come over here as a newcomer. I just cannot believe how this race has gone, or my lap times."
Anstey, despite a scary moment or two on the opening lap at Ballacraine when he clipped a bank and some bushes, took third place for the TAS Suzuki team, finishing some eleven seconds ahead of Ian Lougher, riding a Honda CBR1000RR in the Stobart Motorsport colours.

Guy Martin, riding Yamaha, took fifth place, ahead of the Kawasaki of Carl
Rennie and local rider Davy Morgan riding another Honda CBR1000RR. Raymond Porter, Nigel Beattie and Gary Carswell completed the top ten finishers

Results
Isle of Man TT Senior Race - six laps, 37.73 mile Mountain Course
1 / J McGuinness (GB) / Honda / 1h 47m 38.84s av sp 126.178mph
2 / C Donald (Australia) / Honda / 1. 47:59.45
3 / B Anstey (New Zealand) / Suzuki / 1. 48: 08.79
4 / I Lougher (GB) / Honda / 1.48:19.11
5 / G Martin (GB) / Yamaha / 1.49:40.71
6 / C Rennie (GB) / Kawasaki / 1.50:57.62
7 / D Morgan (GB) / Honda / 1.51:39.48
8 / R Porter (GB) / Yamaha / 1.51:50.90
9 / N Beattie (GB) / Yamaha / 1.52:07.60
10 / G Carswell (GB) / Suzuki / 1.52:13.76

·
Registered
35 Posts
distracted by football

turn your head away to watch a slightly dissapointing match of football and you miss this

what a performance - just look at who he beat

a modest nice quy just became a motorcycling great

stunning:cool: :thumb:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Next Stop Skerries and Another haul of trophies

Donald sets Skerries alight

Cameron Donald set the Skerries 100 road races alight last weekend with some scintillating performances, which saw him take two wins and a second, as well as leaving with the outright lap record to his name.

The rapid Aussie proved yet again that learning new circuits is no barrier and his exceptional talent was plain to see to the thousands of race fans who flocked to the 2.92-mile circuit.

The Skerries circuit, based on the outskirts of Dublin, was bathed in sunshine on race day and it got off to a great start for Donald with a start to finish victory in the Open race. Riding the Robinson Concrete Honda, the 27-year old was never headed and he followed this up with second in the 600cc race. After getting a sluggish start, he soon pulled through on the Wilson & Craig Honda and with a new lap record of 106.031mph he closed right up to race leader Ray Porter but try as he might he couldn't find a way through and the duo crossed the line just four tenths of a second apart.

In the nine lap Grand Final, Donald again showed his liking for the circuit once more defeating local hero Martin Finnegan. With a new outright lap record of 108.278mph on his penultimate lap, he was able to pull clear and eventually took the chequered flag four seconds clear for two more Irish Road Race victories.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LATEST UPDATE .... 15/07/06

CAMERON DONALD WINS
'SOUTHERN 100' !!!!

Cameron competed at the Southern 100 in the Isle of Man on the 10th - 13th July and won the main event on his Robinson Concrete Honda.

He is the first 'newcomer' to win the race since the great Joey Dunlop in 1976 - full story soon!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
3 more wins at Kells

Got some friends in Ireland who have been going along to see Cam racing. He is naturally getting loads of attention from the media and the fans and since he just took 3 victorys in the Kells road races at the weekend the good press is sure to continue:thumb:
Dont know if he plans to be at Macau this year but now that he has the right backing he could be on for a superbike win there.
Real Road Racing

·
Registered
642 Posts
EARLY SHOWER ON THE SEASON

Cameron had a small off, I guess practicising for the last race meet of the season (?). Anyway he slid into some straw bales and the bike followed after hitting Cam.

As a consequence of this he has a broken vertabrae and is wearing a support brace, so that is his season over whilst he recuperates for the next 6 weeks or so.

I was hoping that he would ride my bike in the support race for the Moto GP but that evidently also goes out the window.

Here's hoping that he still swings through SIngapore on the way home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts