Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have 6,000 miles on my '01 with the CCT singing it's song since about 2,500. I haven't heard of anyone having a chain jump... you're just trying to make me nervous aren't you?:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
On Jeffy's website (www.CBR600F4.com), there's a Honda tech that says you can ride as long as you want with a rattling CCT--it won't hurt anything but the noise will drive you nuts. He said to install a manual CCT if you want something that won't rattle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's good news.....

i've been told that same thing, but, the more i hear it, the better i feel about leaving it be. i was told that the width of the distance between the cams is not much less than the distance from the crank to the cams and that it would be almost impossible for the chain to jump a sprocket and send a valve or two crashing into my pistons(!) considering that the chain is pretty snug and rides against followers all along it's path... still, considering the expense of a motor, i figured it was worth asking! thanks, geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have been told several different things. the honda shop said we can fix it but it will only do it again, it wont hurt any thing just keep ridding it. then i had a performance shop said that with then tensioner not working that it would effect the guides and how it wears on them. so who to believe?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they're right...

as a mechanic, i know for sure that the cam chain riding excessively against the plastic chain guides will wear them out prematurely... i also wonder if any slack can cause a decrease in performance by allowing the cam timing to be slightly incorrect? geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have to wonder it being called a cct and the t standing for tensioner. that if it is not keeping tension that it will slip or jump completely off the sprockets, causing you to either wreck or some pretty major engine damage. all this of course comming from a rider not a mechanic but a logical thinker. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could be bad could be fine. I'm still under warranty so when it starts to get cold I'll have the shop change it. 1700 miles on 02 and it makes a vibrating noise and also so slight click at times. If I wasn't under warranty and wasn't too much I'd change it anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone herd of Honda getting off their [email protected]% to find a fix for this? I mean I've herd of people having them replaced under the warrenty only to have the second one go out. I have 2k miles on my '01 F4i, and have herd no noise (knock on wood!) But I'm hearing it happens to most people around 2500 miles. And if I have to get it fixed I only want to have it done once. I've herd manuel tensioners seem to work good. But I don't know if that's under the warrenty. Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do if it happens to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i will let you know how it goes. im supposed to pick my baby up today at 4:00. we will see. the upside to my bike being tin the shop i was able to test a 2001 rc51 today. wow is all i have to say about that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You can ride them for a while with a rattley tensioner. The rattling does no harm, but as someone pointed out you risk the chain jumping a cog and then all hell could break loose in your engine (picture pistons hitting valves and the like). On my bike in the incipient stages of rattle, it would only rattle at idle and once there was some load on the engine it would stop. I would say that this degree of looseness would allow you ride forever if it remained like this. When you can hear it rattling at 7k rpm, you're starting to run on thin ice, and running it too much is asking for something to happen ... I've now got a manual tensioner in my bike and 6 months later and it still doesn't need adjustment (just clocked over 64,000kms).

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts