Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my personally perscribed patriotic part in the never ending fight against ignorance (not to be at all confused with just asking a dumb question)...

... what's the difference between a sport bike and a cafe racer? :confused:
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
943 Posts
The term 'cafe racer' came from the Brits.
When the british bikes were the best in the world (just because there were no others :)) the trend was to tune them, get rid of unecessary stuff to make them lighter, add really low clip ons, and gather at famous cafes to meet other cafe racers.
Of course the menu included some racing in the streets with loud exhausts and no rules :D

Here is a pic to show what I mean, it's a Guzzi made into cafe racer look.

Aris
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Aris. For some reason, I had it in my mind that the term was synonymous with faired bikes, rather than naked bikes. Is this incorrect?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
I don't think the half-faired bikes like the SVs and the Bandits are truly considered Cafe bikes, though the naked versions are. The lines are blurred now because quite a few people put mini windscreens etc. on their cafe racers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Suzuki lists them as "Sport Touring" along with the Katanas. I've also heard them listed as Standards, though I always thought that term applied to liter bikes.

I dunno. I just call my SVs a sportbike, and nobody has argued with me yet.
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
943 Posts
Joss said:
Thanks, Aris. For some reason, I had it in my mind that the term was synonymous with faired bikes, rather than naked bikes. Is this incorrect?
Cafe Racer style required originally that the bike had no fairing, but small flyscreens or even fairings were added as the bikes got faster.
This doesn't mean that the 'naked' bikes are cafe racers!

Have in mind that when the 'cafe racers' ruled the streets, ALL bikes were what we call today 'naked' or 'standard'.

The Bandits, ZR7, ZRX, Hornets etc are not 'cafe racers' in my opinion.
Today a cafe racer can only be made by customizing a naked bike.

In the old days in England they made bikes from bits, and the most popular cafe racers were the 'Tritons'. Tritons were bikes with Triumph engines and Norton 'featherbed' frames. Like that they got the best of each brand!
Accordingly a bike with Triumph engine in BSA frame was a 'Tribsa'.



Aris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
elodello said:
Suzuki lists them as "Sport Touring" along with the Katanas. I've also heard them listed as Standards, though I always thought that term applied to liter bikes.

I dunno. I just call my SVs a sportbike, and nobody has argued with me yet.
It's a sport-touring bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
I've read somewhere that "cafe racers" started out as poor men's sport bikes. People would take parts from junked high performance race bikes to make a suped up street bike. Now it just seems to refer to any high performance unfaired street bike. Kind of like hooligan bikes. When I hear cafe racer I picture a ducati monster, triumph speed triple, etc.

I also think that the term, "cafe racer" falls out side of the formal classification system that we use, such as "sport bike", "sport-tourer"and "standard".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
tigertex said:
I've read somewhere that "cafe racers" started out as poor men's sport bikes. People would take parts from junked high performance race bikes to make a suped up street bike. Now it just seems to refer to any high performance unfaired street bike. Kind of like hooligan bikes. When I hear cafe racer I picture a ducati monster, triumph speed triple, etc.
Actually (I think:confused: ), "cafe racers" were actually the first "sportbikes". Race bikes were just that, race bikes, and the cafe racers were about the sportiest thing seen on the street. That's what I always thought anyways, and when I thought of a cafe racer I always visioned the stripped down Nortons, BSAs, etc., etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Hysyde said:

Actually (I think:confused: ), "cafe racers" were actually the first "sportbikes". Race bikes were just that, race bikes, and the cafe racers were about the sportiest thing seen on the street. That's what I always thought anyways, and when I thought of a cafe racer I always visioned the stripped down Nortons, BSAs, etc., etc.
After reading the link that was posted earlier, I think I agree with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
elodello said:


You're asking for an ass whooping, Honda Boy! ;)

What? You thought you could make a comment like that and nobody would say anything? Hah! ;)
Who, me?:p


"Check out the big brain on aris"

It must be because of the metric system!!:D
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top