Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With about 1 month left before I move to CA, I am still trying to get everything organized, so bare with me, haha.

What is the difference between CA emissions-equipped bikes and non? More importantly, is there any way at all to get a non-CA bike to pass? I can't afford to buy another bike, but there is no way in hell Im going to give up riding... so I have to find a solution here.

Thanks.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
IIRC any non-Cali purchased bike needed 7500 miles before it could be registered there (to avoid people going to Nevada to avoid the emissions stuff). As much as it sounds like you ride that should be no problem. As far as passing the test that shouldn't be hard either. I bought my F4 in Indiana and had it tested out there and passed with no problems. It was stock though, so any mods may make a difference.

Overall it was fairly easy, but dealing with the BMV out there is a pain in the ass (long waits, no forms in English, etc.).

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
515 Posts
spicersh said:
IIRC any non-Cali purchased bike needed 7500 miles before it could be registered there (to avoid people going to Nevada to avoid the emissions stuff). As much as it sounds like you ride that should be no problem. As far as passing the test that shouldn't be hard either. I bought my F4 in Indiana and had it tested out there and passed with no problems. It was stock though, so any mods may make a difference.

Overall it was fairly easy, but dealing with the BMV out there is a pain in the ass (long waits, no forms in English, etc.).

Good luck! :thumb:
+1

btw, where in cali are you planning to move to? actually, that shouldn't really matter, seems like there are plenty of good roads everywhere. good luck w/ all the aspects of moving :thumb:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
As long as you have your driver's license and info from your previous state of residence showing the bike registered there, there's no trouble registering your bike, regardless of mileage, in CA.

Also, last time I checked, there was no emission requirements in CA on bikes. You might want to try looking up the CA DMV for more info.

·
Registered
515 Posts
spicerke said:
As long as you have your driver's license and info from your previous state of residence showing the bike registered there, there's no trouble registering your bike, regardless of mileage, in CA.

Also, last time I checked, there was no emission requirements in CA on bikes. You might want to try looking up the CA DMV for more info.
It may be heresay on my part but I've heard about that 7,500 minimum miles thing before. and yes, nobody's bothered us with smog tests for bikes, which is another hassle to go through with cars.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Lost Nomad said:
It may be heresay on my part but I've heard about that 7,500 minimum miles thing before. and yes, nobody's bothered us with smog tests for bikes, which is another hassle to go through with cars.
The 7500 mile thing applies if you are a CA resident and are attempting to register a new purchase motorcycle in CA. I doubt if you are a legitimate move to the state, are they going to tell you to leave your bike in your previous state, or ride it illegally just to have the 7500 miles required.

It was put in place mainly to dissuade folks from going to NV and purchasing bikes that didn't meet the CA emission standards.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, thanks for all the replies!

Spicer - Bike was purchased in sept 2003, and currently has 28,000 miles on it.

I am moving to Bakersfield. I hear there really isnt anything there... But there is one particular reason I am moving.. so its all good. Ill work the rest out when I get there.

As far as mods... only a pipe and PCM at the moment, both of which shouldnt be a prob. I can bypass the PCM and throw the stock pipe back on.

Just as a side note... if bikes are exempt from smog testing... then why do we have 49 state legal bikes and cali-legal bikes? Why not just simply 50 state legal models?

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
Just as a side note... if bikes are exempt from smog testing... then why do we have 49 state legal bikes and cali-legal bikes? Why not just simply 50 state legal models?

Because CA is retarded. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts