Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am from Ireland but ride in Boston I cant get over the fact that bikers here in the good ole USA seem to have stay in line and take their place behind cagers, this is especially frustrating when waiting in lines for the tollbooths. In Europe it is perfectly normal to bypass all 4 wheel vechicles in normal traffic congestion and the cops dont mind. What happens if you try it here? Will I get run down by a crazed cager or chased down by a cop (Thats if he`s not too busy eating a donut). Any feedback from you folks out there would be appreciated. Daithi.:confused:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd say no

daithi -

I was coureous about that myself so I checked the website
http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/dmanual/chapter4.pdf

In the driving rules there's a special section for motorcycles and it reads "do not ride along pavement lines, between lanes of traffic"

·
Registered
256 Posts
Check the laws in MA for lane splitting. Even here in CA where it's legal, the reaction from cagers is mixed. I've "sensed" resentment at times when I split lanes to get to the front of the line at a traffic signal. I think that might turn to hostility at a toll booth. Other times, cagers will move over to make the space on the line wider. Occasionally, a cager will move over toward the line in an attempt to prevent a bike from "getting ahead".

I believe most cagers in the US view bikes as either a curiosity or a nuisance as opposed to an equal, alternative form of vehicle that should be shown some courtesy (sp?) because of the "hardship" or whatever of riding one. My sense is that bikes are much more accepted in the UK/Europe since they are more just another form of transportation. True?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Local Yokels

Will run you down like a rabid dog to issue you a summons provided you let them. I took the shoulder yesterday to go around a 3 miles traffic jam and there were two cops locked in.

Most people eating spam get pissed if the next guy has steak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
USA Bike Riding V Europe

Hi Guys, Some interesting comments and obviously big regional differences regarding the rules on lane splitting amongst other things. This seems silly at best, eithir its illegal and/or stupid to lane split or its not. At the very least there should be uniformity with these laws as they would then be liable to take them more seriously. In Europe Bikers are nearly always taken more seriously and they are respected as a genuine alternative form of transporty. Although the French generally get a bad rap here, I have always found it to be amongst the most bike friendly in all of Europe. It has to be experienced to be believed. Almost nobody has a problem with bikers passing the cagers, it is regarded as plain old common sense in heavy traffic situations. Also cagers will just about always get out of the way of a bike on the fast lane and most everybody uses their turn signals. Over here they are optional extras. I could go on and on but then you would all fall asleep at the keyboard! I cant allow that..... Ride safe Daithi. ;)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: USA Bike Riding V Europe

daithi said:
Also cagers will just about always get out of the way of a bike on the fast lane and most everybody uses their turn signals. Over here they are optional extras.

The level of driving incompetence shown by 90% of Americans is a national disgrace that I feel I must offer my most heartfelt apology for. Turn signals are optional but worse is a complete disregard for the other drivers on the road. Every one seems to get in a zone where to let anyone else ahead is gonna make them an hour late to their destination and an intentional disrespect that requires vengence. The left lane is for falling asleep and allowing oneself to completely ignore the world around them. OHHHHHHH I could go on but you get the point. I'm sorry for the crappy drivers in this wonderful country. Hope you enjoy the many good things here.

PS, I'm in CA (for a 16 mo school assignment) where lane splitting is allowed and am simply going to ****ing die when I move back where it's not allowed. I'm going to have to try and get it legislated where ever I end up. Going to the front at red lights is like a little orgasm every time. I actually look forward to mid-day traffic just for the fun of lane splitting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: Re: USA Bike Riding V Europe

apexismaximus said:
Turn signals are optional...
Nah. Round my neck of the woods, they're often on all the time! I think they're like that when the drive 'em off the new truck dealers' lot!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Coffee rant, if you're in a hurry skip this post.

I was amazed when I went to Paris and saw the French drive. It could never work that way in America. On the surface, it appears to be anarchy. Everyone is driving forward 100% , taking every little space in traffic they can find. But then it hits you... NOBODY IS GETTING MAD! They all just go about their business. I didnt see any of what we Yanks call "road rage" at all. Particulalry amazing is the circle around the Arc De Triumphe, or as I call it, "Arc de Traffic" I dont think even the Joey Chitwood stunt crew could pull this off without getting someone hurt. After visiting Paris I just knew I had to get another bike and bought one a month or so after returning to the states.

As far as American drivers go , here in FL it depends. If I try to go down I4 in the early morning rush hours, those coffee fueled bastards would run you over to save 5 minutes I've never seen a collectively more rude, selfish, thoughtless bunch. . But if I take and alternative route off the highway that takes a bit longer, those people always show courtesy and leave enough room. Hmm..
Generalizations are always incorrect to some degree but I have to admit most Americans are as ignorant about the proper use of a motor vehicle as they are about world events. I supposed its an unfortunate side effect of how easy it is to live and thrive in America and how much freedom we have. Even the stupid survive, and they're breeding!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
daithi: remember you are in North America now ---

------ so you go by the laws on this continent & NOT what you did in your home land or where ever you lived last, even if different States varie.
You cannot pass in Canada & in most places if you are in a line-up, on foot, then do NOT try to pass others otherwise someone will take you off your feet. We look upon a line-up as a line-up in Cdn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gee Smitthy, you soon very officious

Thank you people/fellow riders for your interesting and witty comments. I am going to enjjoy e-mailing them back to my Busa/748sps driving brother back in the ould sod. He is thinking about a bike trip here soon and this info will help him to be careful and to be very mindful of the driving habits of the great unwashed. Regarding your observations Smitty while I would generally agree that it is a good idea to obey local rules where you find them that only makes sense if everybody else does. If I was to interpret your code strictly I would be wiped out in a week or less. I regularly have to take emergency avoiding meas ures(ie fast lane swops, lane splitting, passing out in the(slow!!) lane etc,etc, to avoid Idiots of all descriptions. Here where I live in mass there really are no driving laws. I see innumerable cagers breaking red lights, not stopping at stop signs(they slow up a tad then gun right through) generally little use of turnsignals and or mirrors. Another terrible habit is to come flying off and onto ranmps without a care in the world for other drivers. Cagers in general have no clue how to operate in circles which we have in mass. I cant figure out the problem here as they are dead easy IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES> As for cell phone users (They are banned in Ireland where i am originally from) well they are the worst. These totally distracted,self-absorbed folks should all be shipped out to guatanimo or whatever its called. By the way I think the USA is a fantastic country and I love living here despite the rant!! MY issue here is only with the cagers. Safe riding everybody...Daithi.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nyquist_Theorem said:

err what? Crazy Australians... :D
yeah objects, allow me to elaborate. If I see an object in my lane I either ride over it or I go around it. Since a car is considered an object when it is stationary there's no reason to line up behind it if I can safely pass the "object" in question.

Thats what I'll tell the cop in any case... :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmmm, as we all know motor vehicle laws vary from stated to state...But speaing on Pennsylvania's behalf...It's legal to overtake a vehicle. As someone else mentioned, even when the conditions are ideal & perfectly legal,, cagers dometimes still frown up on you....When most have done it themselves...I think it comes down to an ego thing sometimes...Weather your in a cage or rolling a bike...When someone passes you alot of times you think...azzhole....So particularly when a bike does,, cause the image appears to greater, sice bike are generlly faster and louder...The best way i have found to pass, to least agitate others is to signal prior to passing...& then when your about to enter the proper lane of travel signal [email protected] least cagers will think your being more obiedinet so sto speak..& will less likely frown upon you...Not saying they wont @ all but think it allieviates some of the sterostype to getting around these ignornat foolz... :finger:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Be there other traffic on the road or NOT I still signal if I am switching to a different land & natch signal if I am going back into it again & that also means when passing a slower moving cage up ahead. Well it is part of the law & if a cop is watching when you do NOT signal you can be given a ticket ------ I know for once I forgot. Now warning, but simply the ticket.
-------------------
Allow me to quote your words Ruff-rida being "---When someone passes you alot of times you think...azzhole...." . Now go back to the WSB race in the UK & the lst day & think of what Ben Bostrom most have though & felt like when Bayless came off his bike twice only to pass Ben Bostrom twice ---- I wonder what Ben was thinking --- I am still laughing & those words of yours seemed so fitting that I used them. LOL

·
Registered
482 Posts
As far as I know it's even illegal to share lanes here in AZ. I wouldnt share lanes anyway. It's too CHiPs looking and room for error is just too small.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts