Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im buying a 04 ninja 250 in a few days. The only problem i've ran into was that the seller doesnt have the title. The bank(or dealership?) has the title. He hasnt fully paid the bike off yet.

How can I go about doing this? I want the bike, and looking for another seller really isnt an option, because this is the first 250 ive seen in the area for months now. I understand I can have a bill of sale made that states something like hes going to give me the title after I pay bank/dealership whichever of the 2 has it.

He said I can take the bike home the very day I give him the money, and that once the bike is payed off and he receives the title, he will give it to me. He said he called kawasaki and they told him there will be a 12 day mandatory check clearing period. and that it can be up to 25 days before I would get the title.

All of this is fine with me, Because I do not have my motorcycle license yet. Ill be paying cash instead of a check though. Anyone have any suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its a pretty standard procedure. Happens all the time. Most used vehicles are not paid off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As long as the bike has current registration so that you wont have to pay back taxes, it should be kosher.

As long as you have the bike and the bill of sale, I cant imagine anything going bad.

·
Registered
264 Posts
don't give him cash! Get a cashiers check from your bank written out to him and Kawasaki. He can sign the back and send it in. That way you know its paid off.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
psudy said:
don't give him cash! Get a cashiers check from your bank written out to him and Kawasaki. He can sign the back and send it in. That way you know its paid off.
Definitely.. I would never give someone cash unless they're holding the title in their hand.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Oh yeah... no title... no cash. Make sure you have his signature on a check or something that shows he received funds from you, and make sure you have a bill of sale from him showing what you received from him for the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts