New Vs. Used?

• New

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Used

Votes: 16 53.3%

Buying New Vs. Used?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KenVF1000R 
#1 ·
Man, this is a tough issue for me, because I've seen the neglectful way some people maintain their vehicles. I remember one girl told me she had never changed her new car's oil until about 30K! Ouch! And so many other people I know go way past their recommended oil change/maintenance intervals on almot all of their ICE equipment.
On the other side of the coin, when buying used, one can save thousands. You can often find owners who have saved every receipt from every dealer servicing. I think you can even save big when previous owners have all the aftermarket goodies already installed.

Anyway, what's better, new or used. Why?

#2 ·
new=nobody else has ever driven your car so you know exactly what was done in it.

used=you don't know how many times someone blew their load on the front and back seat to prevent their girl from getting pregnant or didn't want to take it like a trooper and swallow it. and you want to sit in that? i don't.

i vote new.

#3 ·
monkey said:
new=nobody else has ever driven your car so you know exactly what was done in it.

used=you don't know how many times someone blew their load on the front and back seat to prevent their girl from getting pregnant or didn't want to take it like a trooper and swallow it. and you want to sit in that? i don't.

i vote new.
What's to say that the salesman didn't bring a date into the showroom and blow a load on the new car/bike's seat? There are never any certainties in life, except death and taxes.

I vote used: the new buyer has already taken the depreciation hit and once you find a well-maintained vehicle, you're money.

"You're so money and you don't even know it."

#4 ·
Yes because it is my vehicle from start to the time I sell some yrs down the road. I am the one that breaks it in the way I feel is correct, warantee on the bike is for MY bike.

I do not make to many changes on my vehicles or m/cs so that noisy can someone paid a lot for is not to my liking, the strange grips on the bike when stock are better, the gel saddle when I prefer stock, the larger smoked visor on the bike is not my preference & if a steering head damper good chance it is not what I would have put on, etc. etc.

#5 ·
monkey said:

i vote new.
I never heard it put quite like that before...:eek:

#6 ·
o|||||||o said:
I never heard it put quite like that before...:eek:
well, think about it. have you ever ran your hand across some car fabric and felt a "little hard spot"?

#7 ·
monkey said:
well, think about it. have you ever ran your hand across some car fabric and felt a "little hard spot"?
yeah, they're all over my seats from that time this french hooker and I were practicing the "double fisted squatting sailer" position...uh, oh...ahhhhh, I mean, NO, I don't know what you're talking about, monkey

#8 ·
thats what i used to like about the old vinyl seats and vinyl floors. when you were done you could scrub the inside down with a heavy brush and soap and then rinse it out with the garden hose.

but NOOOOOOOOO, they have to use FAAAAAAABRIC now. (sarcasm):rolleyes:

#9 ·
If it is a cage I do not want to by one that will stink for years of tobacco & spilled beer along with cigarette burns for I do not & never have smoked or drank any form of liquor. The interior or a cage can be a mess & in most cases so will the rest of the vehicle.

In disperation I bought a '36 Chev panel truck in '46 I would load one to two bikes into for comp. A R/H Drive '47 MG in '50 for some road racing. Also a '47 Jeep for farm use in '63 which means for different reasons then trans & pleasure. Rest of my vehicles were new bar a VW Bug I bought from my parents & yes I chipped money into two Volvos another chap & I used in rallies. Otherwise new cages.

#10 ·
I vote used. If you can find a trustworthy used car dealership, they only sell recent-year cars in decent condition and fix any minor problems it may have. You pay a little more than you would from private sellers but you get a better product for your money. Also, I find it difficult to justify the thousands of dollars in value that you lose as you drive away from the dealer in a new car.

I should add that I may change my view in a few years (when I'm out of college and hopefully making some money). :)

#12 ·
Used, easily.

The last new bike I bought was an '82 leftover Yamaha Vision they were blowing out for $1599 in 1985.

Bikes I have now, 1981 GoldWing, paid $1500. '85 VF1000R $2000, granted, it has a salvage title. I bought these two bikes about six years ago.

Last summer I acquired an '81 Yamaha 650 Special II for $500.

Best deal yet: A guy gave me a '73 Kawasaki 350 triple this summer. I'm just about done with it, new paint, cafe fairing, parts etc. brings investment to about $600.

You can't buy a decent new bike for the total of all these bikes. And I have a bike for every occasion, except dirt. I'm working on that.

Of course, if you don't know how or wish to work on your own bikes, newer is better, since you won't need to worry about carb issues, chains & sprockets, coolant flushing, all the things that cost hundreds of dollars at a bike shop if you can't do it yourself.

For me, used. Absolutely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.