Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah it could be a scam, maybe the gsxr doesn't exist or it has some really serious problems. one thing that gets some of them is to ask them if you can come over to check it out with your mechanic.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
There are a great many scams on ebay. There are some good bikes too.
One of the most popular scams involves a very nice clean bike at around $3k-$4k. Upon contacting the seller you will find that the bike is somewhere in europe for whatever reason. Remember, if the bike isnt in the states, there is no bike.

My personal rule is not to get it unless you can go and see the thing. At least ask the seller to send you a picture of the bike with ice cream cone on it, or something else he wouldnt have around...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I get mine from Ebay. After the seller sent me some picturs, and we agreed on the price. I didn't give him any downpayment. And we agreed that he will deliver the bike. so, I didn't pay anything until the bike was in my driveway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought mine from a cop on ebay. I would hope that you could trust him more than the average joe. But like Cookee said, if it looks to good to be true, it prob is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where are they all going

i really do think that they are scams my only question is where are they all going...it seems like they get listed and within a couple hours they are sold...if they are scams it seems like there would be a lot of unhappy people out there but so far i really havnt heard from anyone about it!?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought my VFR800 off ebay and the bike is in excellent condition. It all comes down to the seller and how honest he/she is ..
I did not buy the first one i liked . I waited until I found A VFR that had pictures.
I contacted the owner and spoke over the phone and he even sent detailed photos ..Always get the VIN# so you can run it thru carfax to check for accidents,misc..

Simple, Do your research and dont pay in cash..

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
JohnE1000 said:
I get mine from Ebay. After the seller sent me some picturs, and we agreed on the price. I didn't give him any downpayment. And we agreed that he will deliver the bike. so, I didn't pay anything until the bike was in my driveway.
That my friend is a Rare occurance..most want some type of deposit, I know I would.

The scams involve collecting a deposit..as soon as some unsuspecting ...I wanna say fool, but I don't wanna insult anyone...sends them the $$$, they are on to the next scam...

All the pic's of the bikes are stolen from the net...I know people who have seen their bikes for sale....and it wasn't the owners trying to sell them..

A good bike will warrant a good asking price..if the bike is WAY under the going rate, stay away from it.

Buying anything, sight unseen there's always gonna be a risk..

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you find something, throw a post on here asking someone local to check it out for you. I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind helping out to make sure the bike is all the seller says it is. Legitimate sellers shouldn't have any problems showing the bike in person.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: where are they all going

kshgl87 said:
i really do think that they are scams my only question is where are they all going...it seems like they get listed and within a couple hours they are sold...if they are scams it seems like there would be a lot of unhappy people out there but so far i really havnt heard from anyone about it!?
I watched a lot of these listings religously when I started looking for bikes. Fact of the matter is they are scams. As for them disapearing, they are not being sold, they are being removed by ebay staff. All listings will remain active for 30 or so days after the sale, so if you cant find it within that time listing, it was removed by ebay. Another good sign is if you click "ask seller a question" and the next page says "this seller is registered in a different language speaking ebay. They may not be able to respond in your native language" or something similar to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts