Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a motard in the spring... and I have a few questions:

Is the Husky SM 610 S a good bike? By "good" I mean easy to work on, parts available, fun fun fun to ride? It is about a grand cheaper than the KTM moto and the (admittedly beooootiful) Husaberg.

I REALLY want to spend time on a track, and see a supermoto as the perfect blend of fun street-legal bike and a tool to really learn how to ride.

Any tips on shopping? It seems that used motos are scarce, so I figured I'd buy new! Yippie! :) :) :)

I am currently in Baltimore, MD, if any of you locals know some shops in the Mid Atlantic... though hopefully I'll be livin' in Vancouver, BC by the end of the year (hi Grok!).

hasta,
tim

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah!!

Welcome your Lordship. You WILL enjoy a 'tard, especially if you move to Vancouver. If you go there, you'll be a short boat-ride away from paradise!:D
I considered the Husky, but they were harder for me to get than the Berg I ended up with.

I love my Husaberg, it rips! I would recommend it, to a mechanically inclined, experienced rider. They require frequent maintainence.
The KTM LC4 may be a good choice, KTM's are available everywhere and provide a solid platform to build on. There are lots of goodies available for it, you can make it and the husky real quick too!:D The vibration may be the KTM's only real weakness.

TM's and ATK's are really nice but pricey, ditto for VOR.

I also forsee the Japanese bringing something to the North American market, sooner than later. They have 'tards in some markets already.

I haven't tried a Husky, but a lot of people ride em! My only misgiving would be...lack of dealer choices. Oh, with any of the smaller brands, you will need to be a little more patient waiting for parts.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree

While I completely love my berg, this is simply not the bike to have if you want to just put gas in it and go.

After every race event (including the flat track stuff I'm doing at the moment) I have a ritual that absolutely needs to be followed:

1. wash the bike
2. change the oil
3. check the valves

I also note the hours that I may have used. Gotta keep in mind this bike needs a major bit of work about the 50 hour mark.

I would also highly recommend looking at an XR 650. While on the heavy side, they are pretty much a benchmark motard bike (when you lower it and relace the wheels with 17 inchers).

My buddy is selling his LC4 if you are interested in one. His email is [email protected]. Shipping from him to you would only be about $200. I can vouch that this bike is in awesome condition too.

And if you move to vancouver you can come down and race with us in washington/oregon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, where do I get wheels?

I do like the idea of getting a Honda... though I think the XR400R is cooler than the 650. Don't know why... maybe a 400 would be a better bet for me to learn track riding on (BTW, I've been on street bikes on and off for 10 years. I'm 29, and feel like I need to re-learn how to ride. I really want to spend time on a track and off-road, so a motard seems choice).

Anyway, I know I can get 17" wheels built up for motard... my question is, WHERE?
I doubt many off road shops actually know how to lace wheels, but I may be wrong. Is there any shop in the US or Canada that specializes in Motards? I am willing to have wheels built, but only if the shop has experience with motos.

thanks for the tips, guys... there was ice on the ground 2 days ago :mad: , so slobbering over bikes is keeping me sane!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: ok, where do I get wheels?

lord tim said:
I do like the idea of getting a Honda... though I think the XR400R is cooler than the 650. Don't know why... maybe a 400 would be a better bet for me to learn track riding on (BTW, I've been on street bikes on and off for 10 years. I'm 29, and feel like I need to re-learn how to ride. I really want to spend time on a track and off-road, so a motard seems choice).

Anyway, I know I can get 17" wheels built up for motard... my question is, WHERE?
I doubt many off road shops actually know how to lace wheels, but I may be wrong. Is there any shop in the US or Canada that specializes in Motards? I am willing to have wheels built, but only if the shop has experience with motos.

thanks for the tips, guys... there was ice on the ground 2 days ago :mad: , so slobbering over bikes is keeping me sane!
Heck, if you're going the jap bike route why not consider the new Honda 450 or the Yamaha 426? I know little about Motards, but I do know sportbikes and dirtbikes, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Re: Re: ok, where do I get wheels?

desmo079 said:
Heck, if you're going the jap bike route why not consider the new Honda 450 or the Yamaha 426? I know little about Motards, but I do know sportbikes and dirtbikes, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.
Those types are great and already out there, but are upkeep-intensive also.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well...

I think the WR is bad ass... but apparently the engine is overly complex for a shadetree like myself. I'm trying to stick to the K.I.S.S. principle with a motard. The XR motors are strong as balls and apparently friendly to work on.
If I decide to get a technobike, I'll be riding a 2002 VFR!

tim

PS>> hey Ron, I sent an email to your friend about the LC4. If he wants to contact me he can at:
tim -AT- 13thousandfeet.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Motarded WR/CRF

Actually the WR or CRF aren't nearly as maintenance intensive as my 'berg. My race bike for last year (been relegated to trail bike this year) was a 99 WR400. It's been an almost bulletproof bike.

The only complaint I ever had with it was that I really needed to get real wheels and brakes for it, plus a spare set of suspension components to make it fill both TT racer and trail bike.

I decided to get the berg instead (which is fully setup for TT racing) and leave the WR as a dirt only bike.

Mikey said he will get ahold of you this afternoon about the bike. (he's been in Seattle hanging out with my wife and I this weekend and I'm just taking him to the airport in about 10 minutes)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Motarded CRF's

I just heard from a friend that a shop in Cali owned by Brock McCallister (not sure of name spelling or name of shop, but I will find out) has 3 motarded CRF 450's in stock for $7100.

Complete setup: wheels,brakes, lowered suspensions, the works.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Re: Motarded WR/CRF

ronwest99 said:
Actually the WR or CRF aren't nearly as maintenance intensive as my 'berg.
Check out this thread. If logjump is correct, then the CRF is a more labor intensive machine. I couldn't say for sure.

I can say however, that those manufacturer service intervals are designed to cover their butts and you will seldom see major failures in modern machines that receive regular preventative maintainence. But go by the book until the warranty is up!!

If you really want a STREETABLE machine, I would still say a street-legal platform is the best to start out on.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been giving some thought to building a Cannondale motard. I know their first run dirtbikes suffered, but I bought one of their FX400 quads back in May and I was so impressed with that 432cc engine, the fuel injection was amazing, and I could beat Raptors 660's in drag races.

The new version dirtbikes have an improved fuel injection system with GP Control allowing changes in mapping with a thumb switch, they also cut the weight down and fixed a few other bits. I know it's not a popular bike but I like being diffrent and I've seen first hand the potential the engine has.

Also does anyone know much about the Kawasaki KLX 650?
I have seen a few of these available for around $3k or less, I don't think they make them anymore so I was wondering how good they were.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
You can make a KLX work great!

Husaberg did the head design on the Cannondale, or so I've heard.;)
Husaberg's come stock with a "dual mapped" load sensitive ignition, also controlled by the thumb. :)

If you do "Motard" a Cannondale, keep us all informed, this could be a great project!:drool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts