Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few bucks to buy some stuff for my motorcycle and can't decide between:

Buying a little gear and some frame sliders: I have all the important gear except boots (I usually wear work boots), I even have textile pants.

Or

Buying some body armour and not buying the sliders. I'd like to get some knee and shin guards from icon as well as either boots or those spandex-shorts to wear under jeans.

I probably made this confusing, but basically do you think frame sliders are more important or is body armour more important? What would you buy first?

And are boots more important than body armour?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sorry to not go along with you chaps, but my boots for riding my three sportbikes is a pair of Danner boots. Ones you can see in www.danner.com & called 'Fort Lewis' in model & much closer to a tough military boot & yet on some occasions I will wear a pair of mountaineering boots not a road racing boot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you already have all the gear, go for the frame sliders. No use in having two-three jackets in your closet and no bike protection. I dont care what they say, when I went down my first thought was "is my bike ok?" a broken arm or leg will heal, but to me my bike is just as important.:2cents:
Get the fram sliders dude!
ps. I wear a pair of "work boots" too Bates enforcers with a steel toe. Not something to go to the track with but for city/ highway/ canyon riding they're fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A good pair of work boots are fine riding boots as long as they are tall enough to give ankle protection. Work boots are subjected to OSHA regulations and I would bet are better then a lot of so called motorcycle foot gear.

Now they dont compare to a nice race boot with reinforced shin and ankle protection but for daily riding I think a good work boot is fine.

As far as protection importance goes I think a good boot is second only to the helmet. Lower leg injuries are some of the most frequent during a get off and you want something substantial down there.

Frame sliders are good for garage drops and to absorb some energy during a low slide. I have em, but I know its more for a "good feeling" then any actual bike protection.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Damn thats a tought call. Skin hurts, bike doesnt. Skin heals, bike doesnt.

Here is my take, Good boots are nastily important (if you dont believe me try walking on crutches, its not fun), but will likely run you around $200. If the z750 is anything like the z1000 you can get a pair of sliders for $50 (shoguns work great). So if you can afford it get boots. If not get sliders. Thats MO.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Angrypenguin said:
As far as protection importance goes I think a good boot is second only to the helmet. Lower leg injuries are some of the most frequent during a get off and you want something substantial down there.
I will attest to that, based on my recent crashing experience. I went down at a pretty low speed, ended up simply landing on my four, no tumble or anything. The next day I noticed my left ankle was hurting pretty badly, though not enough to get me going to the doctor. That lasted about two weeks. I was wearing Sidi ankle-high boots at the time of crash. From now on I will strongly advise anyone to get something with good ankle protection.

I like my Wolverine workboots, but they are not very stiff around the ankle, so I'm not sure how good they would be in a crash. I'm drooling for a pair of Oxtar Matrix boots. My wife got the ladies' version of those (Sunray) and I'm quite impressed with the protection they offer.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
sliders are cheaper and they'll protect the bike to some degree. I had a pair and they saved the motor/engine covers twice. Personally, I like normal boots over motorcycle boots. I have military tactical boots (same one as swats use) and they work just as good. I like having flexibility but then again, it wont protect the ankles like motorcycle boots.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmm, still can't make up my mind. what i'm thinking about getting are some of icon's shin/knee guards. this should keep me from having to wear textile pants in the hot weather to work. i just plan on putting the armour underneath my work clothes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts