Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you all who made it to the IMS in Cleveland, did you guys get a load of the yellow Busa with a sidecar? Made me think twice bout gettin one. Might freak a few people out though. I'll try to post a pic I took later tonite.

http://66.96.182.141/jack/pics/2004/Busa Sidecar.html

Here's a link to the pic.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
How'd you like to be in tha side car going 200mph?:barf:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Once one gets the hangs of riding & handeling a sidecar rig it can be quite useful. At our shop in '50 we set up TWO adult/child salon sidecars for 500cc Norton Twin & 500cc Triumph. These were big units fully enclosed & good for wife in the front & son or daughter sitting behind AND both fully covered & looking out of plexiglass windows.

My best friend set up a lovely Swallow single sidecar for his Vincent & believe me we went all over the place with that, with each taking turns steering the Vincent while the other rested or slept in the sidecar.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Smitty said:

My best friend set up a lovely Swallow single sidecar for his Vincent & believe me we went all over the place with that, with each taking turns steering the Vincent while the other rested or slept in the sidecar.
Here's a useless fact that's interesting at best......;)

Swallow Sidecar evolved through the years until it became Jaguar. Yeah, the cars.:cool:

My brother has recently restored his '66 BMW, ground up, to impecable condition, every last nut, bolt, and spoke. He has owned the bike for years and it has a TON of miles on it. It's complete with a Steib sidecar and was one of the last to have the leading link front end you mentioned, Smitty.

It's a showpiece and just recently took a first place at a big Houston MC show. He still rides it, too. Not just a showbike. Very cool piece!:cool: :thumb: :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Smitty said:
Once one gets the hangs of riding & handeling a sidecar rig it can be quite useful. At our shop in '50 we set up TWO adult/child salon sidecars for 500cc Norton Twin & 500cc Triumph. These were big units fully enclosed & good for wife in the front & son or daughter sitting behind AND both fully covered & looking out of plexiglass windows.

Growing up in Russia (USSR back then), I got to ride with my uncle in the sidecar of his Ural. Back then a motorcycle with a sidecar was not a fun novelty, but rather an inexpensive mode of transportation. It has enough room for a passenger and a trunk in the back. You can load lots of potato sacks into one of those :D

I don't know if abundance of cheap used cars from Europe and Japan has made motorcycles less of a family vehicle in Russia today...

This is a recent version of my uncle's bike. I borrowed the photo from a cycletrader ad. Ain't no 'busa, that's for sure...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
One chap with a Ural bike & the frame & wheel of the sidecar, only a platform on it with some grab bars. It carried three bikes for the flat track event ---- tight jam, but it was three.

Later on they asked if I would take some shots during the break of the sidecar honking around the 1/2 mile track. Natch with the 3rd wheel being at the right he had to go clockwise with his balance man.

Felt I had some good shots & was walking away from the track only the chap lost control & I was nailed in the back between rider/driver on the m/c & his balance man on the 3rd wheel with grab bars----apparently it was quite a sight of all the dust, myself up in the air to disappear into the dust as the rig appeared then self & bike a number of times!!!!!

Had a pen in my mouth & they fished, half of it out as I had bitten right through it, when I was coming back into the world. Still as usual I did not go to the hospital & continued to cover the last half of the race with the one camera left while other was badly damaged. That darn Ural rig turned out to be in pretty good shape as well for later on the 3 bikes were mounted on & away he was to ride/drive home & then a few corrections once there..
------------------------
Dad I believe that leading link came onto the market in '51 or '52 & it was called an Earls fork by BSA & possibly BMW. Anywhat it was the start of BMW aiming at better suspension at the front then normal flimbsy tele forks.

If he has rebuilt, as you say, it that will be a lovely vintage bike to be proud of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts