Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home today, I was doing 90 or so on the interstate with little traffic and came up behind what looked like a sportbike. The guy was wearing a backpack. As I got closer, I could see two very large mufflers. I thought to myself, "Hmm. Looks like a big one." I then saw his left foot twitch, as he shifted down, so I went down two gears on my old VF1000R and nailed it.

I put slip-ons on it a few weeks ago, so it's a little loudish, and did an airbox mod, otherwise it's stock. The guy gassed it, and I was waiting for him to flash by me just like the other guy on the Hayabusa did when I rode with one this summer.

But a couple of seconds later I checked my mirror and he was SLOWING DOWN! What was wrong with this guy, I asked myself. Here are four possible reasons I came up with:

1. It's a brand new bike, not broken in and he didn't want to rev it. It didn't have a temporary tag on it, and he could've dusted me without even getting above the break-in revs. Hmmm.

2. He was so positive he could smoke me that he didn't want to waste the gas. I don't know if that's possible in a male who still has testosterone racing through his system. If he were a eunich, why would he have a 'Busa in the first place?

3. My loud pipes buffaloed him into thinking that I had a highly modified ride, and he didn't want to take the chance of being humiliated. If he knew anything about bikes, he'd know that the only VF1000R that could ever beat him (maybe) would be one of the original factory race bikes.

4. He was a nancy-boy.

What do you think?

BTW, I ran it up to an indicated 145 before I shut it down. So fun it can't be legal. (Yes, I know that is no great feat for you 'Busa riders, but it's fun for a measly '80s ride.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tristan said:
Maybe he had a radar detector that was going off and figured he'd let YOU go to jail.
I have a radar detector, and I don't want to go to jail. I guess we should all just ride our sportbikes well within the law so as to not risk getting caught doing anything wrong.

'Course there's all that fun that won't be had, but we'll feel all better about it since we're all politically correct.

Right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think he just waiting for a real race. Hehe.
When you have one of the bad boys everyone wants to race and its kind of nice to know you can just cruise along while everyone else is sitting there and saying damn thats a hell of a machine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
slaintedan said:
Maybe the exhaust cloud from your bike blinded him and he slowed down 'cause he couldn't see the road ahead of him.

Or maybe he slowed down because he needed to stop to change his pants 'cause he pissed himself laughing!!! :D:D:D
Ha ha ;) ;) ;) Or mayby he thought There's always one

·
Registered
2 Posts
KenVF1000R said:
On my way home today, I was doing 90 or so on the interstate with little traffic and came up behind what looked like a sportbike. The guy was wearing a backpack. As I got closer, I could see two very large mufflers. I thought to myself, "Hmm. Looks like a big one." I then saw his left foot twitch, as he shifted down, so I went down two gears on my old VF1000R and nailed it.

I put slip-ons on it a few weeks ago, so it's a little loudish, and did an airbox mod, otherwise it's stock. The guy gassed it, and I was waiting for him to flash by me just like the other guy on the Hayabusa did when I rode with one this summer.

But a couple of seconds later I checked my mirror and he was SLOWING DOWN! What was wrong with this guy, I asked myself. Here are four possible reasons I came up with:

1. It's a brand new bike, not broken in and he didn't want to rev it. It didn't have a temporary tag on it, and he could've dusted me without even getting above the break-in revs. Hmmm.

2. He was so positive he could smoke me that he didn't want to waste the gas. I don't know if that's possible in a male who still has testosterone racing through his system. If he were a eunich, why would he have a 'Busa in the first place?

3. My loud pipes buffaloed him into thinking that I had a highly modified ride, and he didn't want to take the chance of being humiliated. If he knew anything about bikes, he'd know that the only VF1000R that could ever beat him (maybe) would be one of the original factory race bikes.

4. He was a nancy-boy.

What do you think?

BTW, I ran it up to an indicated 145 before I shut it down. So fun it can't be legal. (Yes, I know that is no great feat for you 'Busa riders, but it's fun for a measly '80s ride.)
:drool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Face it, he was cutting you some slack. He knew (as do I) that had he opened her up he would have ripped the plastic off that old/slow thing your riding, had you gotten sucked in his wake. Just for the record I can do 145 in 4th gear. My 5th gear tops at 175, and the busa will blow me off the road any day. Yep he just didn't want to hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
KenVF1000R said:

Either of these two options are possible. I've seen guys blast past me on their clunkers and I've just not wanted to waste the energy. But, most of the time... it's just SOO fun. :)

He might have also been a newbie and didn't want to push himself too far. Been there.
:finger:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hey, Ill vote for nancy boy. You don't downshift and invite the race just to say awe shucks, why hurt his feelings. He quit cause he was a pussy and couldn't hang after throwing down the challenge..:twofinger

Also, sweet ride, always liked the vf1000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts