Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting question. I don't think the tread pattern mix would matter, but, the compound will. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to do what your thinking about- mixing a harder compound for the rear and the softer for the front. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've been considering buying an MEz4 for the rear and a MEz3 for the front for my ride. But, for one reason or annother, those 020's have been look'in good to me. Been wondering if'n they are softer than the MEz4's. I like the Metzlers...have had 'em for a while but, would like to try a different brand to "taste- test" what's out there...know what I mean?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hurricanxx, I have tried Metezlersbut to expensive and you only get about 5,000 out of the rear. you can save $60.00 on a set, I have tried the bt0-20 on the rear it sticks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Only 5,000 miles on what model Metzler? I've cranked almost 10,000 miles on these MEz4's... they've lasted and they stick...the front showing minimal wear, especially for this many miles. And, the rear is just now becoming questionable. The MEz4' are the equivilant to the Michelin 90X and the newer version, the 100X's. I don't baby these tires if'n ya catch my drift. They've been smoked quite abit under hard accelleration and have enjoyed a few "light" burnouts, too. The reason I made the comment about the MEz3 on the front is that they are a bit stickier than the MEz4 and would promote more confidence in a deeper corner than the harder compound MEz4 that I have on there now, albeit, a wear compromise I am willing to make since the front isn't subjected to the torque stress the rear tire is. Yeah, the Metzler tires are more expensive than the Dunlops and Bridgestones, but, I know that with this many miles and the wear and tear that I know that they've been under, I believe that its been worth the small extra cash that I paid for 'em. I've been wondering if those 020's that have been a consideration of mine would last and stick like these MEz4's. And, I wonder if they'd make the bike feel more 'flickable'.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They ere MEZ4s on a 99 Blackbird, what kind of bike do you have? 10,000miles out of the rear thats Incredible you must run high air pressure

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, I think that's amazing milage, too. It's an 'ol Hurricane 1000-so it's not a light bike. I think it's heavier than yours for sure. They run with roughly 34-36 upfront and 36-38 or 40-42 if I have a passenger. Do you think that's alot of PSI?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that's low psi for the mileage. The higher the psi the more miles you get because the tire is"nt generating a lot of heat compared to low psi. I just ordered the bridgestone BT0-10 for the front and the BT0-20 for the rear, should be in next week, about $60.00 cheaper per set than the MEZ4s, will keep you posted. Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bridgestone BTO1O/O2O

I have been running my VFR750 with 020's since last year & absolutly love them. So far I've done 7k. and that has included a tour to France. I was a bit worried that they might square off with all the motorway miles but am pleased to report that it did not seem to affect them. I reckon that I've another 1/1.5k. of life before replacing them & will fit the same as the grip & feedback are 1st class. A friend of mine with a blackbird has tried out your sugestion & doesn't find anything wrong with this set-up, but get advice from your local supplier to put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't remember if I posted this here or at alt.sportbike NG.

If you mix different compound tires, there's a good chance that the LESS STICKY compound will loose traction FIRST before the stickier compound. So if you were to put a sticky compound front(BT010's) and a less sticky compound rear (BT020's), you will have a condition where as you reach the limits of adhesion, the rear will break away before the front resulting in a high side. This happened to a good friend of mine when he mixed a Dunlop D208 front and a D207 rear at the track.

Ideally, BOTH f & r tires loose traction at the same time so you start "pushing" or sliding the bike slightly as you negotiate a corner. That way, the breakaway is predictable and the rider will notice this and slow it down without drama.

Of course, the above scenario will only occur (hopefully) at the track where you're riding at the limits. Under street riding conditions, it probably won't be a factor. Unless you ride in the rain. There again you may run into the same problems of mismatched traction capabilities of f to r tires.

I think if you're after mileage, just go with the BT020's f & r. This tire will last a long time and still provide very good traction during high lean angles. OTOH, if you're after traction, go with the BT010's. This tire also wears very well, though not as long as the 20's. Yet they will stick as far as you dare lean the bike. Mixing and matching I don't think is worth the risk if/when you do take your bike to the limit. Sometimes, you just never know so why risk it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear about your friends accident, like you said it was at the track. I could never get my bird to slide in a corner on a premium tire that what GSXR1000S, R1S are for and you always push it harder at the track but for street use I never had that problem and I can scrap the pegs at will.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 1500 miles on the Bridgestone tires, BT0-10 F BT0-20 R on my 99 Blackbird. just go back from a VFR group meeting In Perth Onario (Can.) some serious roads and had the bird leaned over about a 100 times this combo is FANTASTIC no slipping cherping nothing. ran 40lbs. both ends NO CUPPING hope this helps Ride Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I mixed a BT 56 front with a BT 020 rear and actually like it better than with the 56 on the rear. I have worn it to the edges and have had not one problem. I think you will have no probs. Remember the ST tires of today are as good as the sport tires from say 5-6 yrs ago. I have put over 2000 miles on the 020 so far and it still looks new except for haveing all the shiny stuff worn off.:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JDM1200, next time put the BTO-10 in the front and run 40-42Lbs of air you will feel even better plus the 10 is the same price as the 20:D :D :p I absolutly love this combo and I have 23,00 miles on my 99 Blackbird so I know the difference. take care:eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Are tyres on your side of the atlantic made of different compounds
than the ones on this side of the ocean
I have tried different bridgestone tires on my bandit 6 and have never had more than 2000 miles from a rear tyre and my friends who have gsxr750's 1000's zx9r's struggle to get 1500 miles out of a rear tyre.

I have tried bt54's bt45's these are classed as sports touring and sports mileage tyres

I only ride my bike hard occaisionally and i ride mainly on twisty roads so it is not the centre of the tread that is wearing out early

I only do burnouts once the tire is illeagal and burn it out just b4 i change them

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep in mind your running a far stickier tire which on my bike is overkill so compensate with the higher pressure to gain tire life and to prevent cupping. I know a few gguys who are running between 32-35 Lbs. of air and their tire is either worn or cupped between 3-5000 miles. I hope to get about 7-8 grand out of the fronts, and yes I do ride agressive:angry: :angry:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've run the 010's on the front and 020's on the Rear on my CBR 1000...I was very happy with the set up, never had a problem with the rear breaking lose and forcing a tank slapper/high side...and I've run that bike pretty hard in the twisties.

I am currently running 020's on both front and rear, and they are good tires...although I had a better feel with the 010's on the front.

I've ridden with Dunlops, Metzlers, and Michellen Tires...and I'm partial to the Bridgestones...just my preference. If you run hard, you'll get 3000 - 3500 out of the Rear with the 010's I'd estimate, 4500-5000 out of the 020's on the rear...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally am not a fan of mix matching tires, even from the same brand. Every tire has a different profile and characteristics. Ever driven a car with three different tires on it?? Then changed them out for four like tires? If you have you'd agree with me. Even the nicest cars drive like crap, granted normal people would never notice until they switched them up to four like tires, but I do. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I personally would just consider going with the 010's. I have managed 4500 miles on my rear 010 on my R1. The only difference from the bird's and R1's is weight. That will most certainly accelerate wear but you will also not be riding as aggressively on the birds as I do on the R1, so it will even out. And power to power, my R1 is right there with any 'bird.

I also am looking to replace those crap BT57's on my just purchased '99 'bird. I think I will settle with the 020's, since I have another bike to hit the turns with, I'm more concerned with tire life since the 'bird will be my touring/two up bike.

Ian

·
Registered
187 Posts
After alot of consideration on which tire would be the best for what I need I installed a set of the 020's on my RC51. I had to be realistic in my use of the bike. I do alot of commuting as well as a good share of hard sport-touring. And of course the Sunday morning blasts along the coast and in the hills.

I just didnt want to spend $400 on a new set of tires every year. I cant say I settled for the 020's becuase they are great tires. I wore them from edge to edge on my last trip into the Sierras and they held up great. And after appx 1,000 miles they have not worn considerably in the middle.

So far I think I made the right choice.

Miguel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts