Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm...i just bought a new bike and the speedometer mentioned about the breaking in factor. i cant exceed certain rpm's. yikes!...i want to go fast. help me out guys...thanks. btw, i really liked chris' topic thread about picking up chiks with bikes. :) i'll be working on it soon. ;)

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Don't be anal about it. There are probably as many opinions on bike break-in procedures as there are bikes. Follow your manual as a general guideline and just don't thrash it for the first few hundred miles and until you change the oil. Very the rpm as much as possible but don't get hung up about going over 4K. My manual said something about "No full throttle starts for the first XX miles". So I took that info. along with the dealer info. "Keep it under 5K for 600 miles" and compromised :D .

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright...ll stop being anal. im at 400 milage right now. so much further to go. can i get a ticket for going slow? :eek: but it does get frustrating when a 1978 buggy beats you on a straightaway... :mad:

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
ahhhh.... all these anal people and their new bikes. I just missed a trip up to the mountains cause my friend thinks he cant take his new Gixxer above 5k rpm's and he has like 500 mi on it.Damn! :mad: My other buddy on the other hand has a 929 w/ 300 mi and did he say, "I cant cause I need to break in my bike" NO! He went riding! Sorry, I had to rant. But dude as long as you have a sufficient no. of hours on the motor than it will be okay. You dont have to putt around at 30 mph all the time you can go the speed limit.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
As "Bubba" Clinton would say- "aah feel your pain"...

I too, have been slave to the break in rev limit, and I agree- having to keep your eye on the tach sucks. I'm sick of short shifting and having that punk in the hopped up Civic next to me think he just took me. I'm almost to the 500 mile service, so it won't be much longer- and it's probably worth the annoyance now- if not for anything else than the peace of mind that you broke it in "right". Have I kept it under 4 grand religiously? Nope. I did for like the first 200 miles- now I'm not as anal about it. I just don't wring the throttle hard, and try to vary the engine speed.

Just ride it, rack up some relatively stress free miles, get through the initial service, and have fun. Don't freak out about the revs, but at the same time, don't beat it up either.

'cane

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Not sure about the other manufacturers but the new Hondas have a pretty simple break-in regime. Break-in on my '96 VFR had a couple of stages and rpm ranges. The RC 51(I believe the 929 is the same) manual basically says avoid full throttle starts and vary rpm frequently for the first 600 miles. :) That is fairly simple. I guess due to the new cylinder liners and engine technology, break-ins are quicker. ;)

Regardless of the bike make I would say that you should never let a cager think he just took you. The occasional blast of the trottle can't be that bad. :rolleyes:

Don't let anyone convince you that break-ins are not necessary. THEY ARE if you want your engine to perform as designed. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
79 Posts
My manual says "avoid" operation above 5000rpm. Avoid to me means try keeping it under not its all over if it passes. Plus I noticed that in first 60 miles there was a kinda resistance when the bike touched 5 grand. As she wore in that resistance feel creeped up higher and higher. I still follow the rpm avoid limit but the occasional half throttle blast to 6-7 grand is ok to me. i recommed changing the oil at 300miles though. Get those metal pieces the engine shaves off out of there. cuz by 300miles shes opening up and who can resist giving it to her. Only dark side i can see to the early oil change is maybe the engineers think that the metal bits help to wear in the bike? About all im sure of is that you shouldn't give full throttle and see what the top speed is out of the box.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Very good solution for this one: don't buy a new bike! Get a recent 2nd hand one - someone has done all the breaking in for you, and it'll cost ya less! Bit late now I suppose though. The only down side to it, is that you don't know if they have broken it in properly. :(
Best of luck to ya!

------------------
Dave
CBR600F3

·
Registered
62 Posts
You don't have to follow shit! Do you think that the Vance&Hines race team puts 1000 miles on their new motors for their drag bikes. Or better yet, If you buy a new dirtbike, what is the break-in period for them? There is no odometer on them!!! 2 tank fulls of gas up to half throttle, then have at it! That is how I have broke in ALL my bikes. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS! Just don't use synthetic oil for 2500 miles at least.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you think a professional race team puts 1000 miles on a drag bike?

If I buy a bike new, I will do what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer has engineers to do all the thinking, it is not some marketing scheme. It is not to help with performance, it is to help with longevity. When I got my first new bike I didn't pay the break-in any attention, and I didn't have a problem. But, I only had the bike for 24,000 miles.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with colin409. If the manufacturers didn't care about the life of your motorcycle, they wouldn't tell you about the break-in necessity........they would want you to get out on the road as fast as possible, going as fast as possible, so that when you wreck your bike, they'll make money off of the $10,000 you paid them to replace it.

------------------

·
Registered
61 Posts
Giver Stank on the throttle, use regular
10-40 oil and break it in at the track. If you change the oil lots, you'll hurt nothing. You can even see the filings. I chaanged mine at 200KM and again at 500KM, with a new filter, and it runs sweet. Then again with the new race motor I'll only give it a run around the block, or plug chops with it, and then it's going to be bouncing off the rev limiter. What's a bike without a warranty when you buy it brand new.
Don't use synthetics untill around third oil change. Good Luck...

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by colin409:
If I buy a bike new, I will do what the manufacturer says. The manufacturer has engineers to do all the thinking, it is not some marketing scheme.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, just like stuff like ladders rated at 250 pound max and there is a guy that weighs 280 carrying 4 bundles of shingles weighing 60 - 80 pounds each.

What about the dirtbikes? You didn't answer that one... They have to seat their rings just the same as a street bike but there is no odometer.
You can tell when your bike is broke in. There is a major difference in performance in the low RPM range that you can more than feel. Revs free'er, starts smoother, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>But, I only had the bike for 24,000 miles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Todays sportbikes if rode hard one quarter of the time need to be rebuilt after 30,000 miles.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited August 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kahuna:
You don't have to follow shit! Do you think that the Vance&Hines race team puts 1000 miles on their new motors for their drag bikes. Or better yet, If you buy a new dirtbike, what is the break-in period for them? There is no odometer on them!!! 2 tank fulls of gas up to half throttle, then have at it! That is how I have broke in ALL my bikes. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS! Just don't use synthetic oil for 2500 miles at least.

- Jeff -

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep in mind that comparing race bikes to street bikes is a bad thing when you're talking break-ins. Racing engines don't run a 1000 miles(300 miles for roadracing bikes is a little closer) before rebuild but they do get a break-in either during practice or on the dyno at the shop. If you break-in a streetbike like a race bike you will likely do damage. ;)

Air cooled dirtbike engines do have break-in periods. It is different from liquid cooled street bikes. Also, just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean that your bike was properly broken in. If you don't break-in a bike properly it may have lower HP than if it were properly broken-in. It's a small enough of a difference that most street riders would not be able to tell by the seat-of-the-pants feel. I don't think that a few blasts above the break-in rev limit will do any major damage though and not revving enough can prevent a proper break-in too. I kind of think of the Owner's Manual as a good guide. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Break in points -

Most motors are broken in after about 100 miles.
If you ask people who build bike motors they
will tell you this is true. Though there is
some additional seating of the valves to the
valve seats after that point, the cams, bearings
and rings are pretty much settled.

If you ask me, I don't follow break in religously
however I don't beat the hell out of the bike
until I am over 700 or 800 miles.

For what it's worth.

Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never owned a new dirtbike, I don't do alot of dirtbike riding, and I don't know too many people who do. Due to these three minor facts, I am almost positive that I have no authority to make any comments based on dirtbikes.

I am sure, however, that dirtbikes also require some type of break-in. I know that horsepower is not wrung out of dirtbikes the way it is out of sportbikes. I also have never known anyone who rides a dirtbike as a daily commuter, therefore fewer miles. Not to mention all the dead three year old dirtbikes I see at the bike shop.

If you need to rebuild your motor after 30,000 miles, you are abusing it, not riding hard. There is a huge difference between abuse and hard riding.(race track use is abuse) I have owned several bikes with over 30,000 miles on them, they all ran fine, I rode them all hard, none of them were rebuilt.

Neither one of us is an engine design engineer, so it is really pointless to argue this matter. But like Spitfire said, if what you say is the fact, then some smart manufacturer would stop recommending break-in. This ommision of an ownership requirement would prove to be a good selling point.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kahuna:

- Jeff -

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are exactly the type of bike owner that is the reason that I would NEVER buy a used bike! Listen- Please Dont pass advice that you dont know to be true. The BUILDER/ DESIGNER of the bike states a specific break in for a reason and I think THEY know the machine better than any of us. This is exactly the reason that so many people are confused about proper break-in and care of their machine,~~ everybody thinks they know the right way.
Yes, its probably true that you dont have to be anal about break in, but telling -or implying to- a guy to just ride the crap out of it from the start is just wrong.

You say that V/H doesnt break their bikes in, right? Well how many miles do they average out of a motor? Not too many Im sure. They dont care about longevity at all.

EVERY new motor needs some breaking in. <---See the period at the end of that sentence?? USE GOOD SENSE AND BREAK IN THE BIKE THE WAY THE MANUAL SAYS TO.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited August 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here, let me really ruffle some feathers.

I owned my '86 Ninja6 for over 5 years, I changed the oil twice. Put over 20k miles on it, let it sit for long periods of time, would spray starter fluid into it to get rid of varnish on the carbs then ride it some more.

Given the abuse I gave my bike, I only had problems with it when the battery died. Maybe today's bikes are more fragile, and I will take MUCH better care of my '00ZX6, but I'm willing to bet these bikes can handle abuse you all would probably have nightmares about.

And yes, racing engines are torn down after every race. Besides, racers want a nice tight engine for higher compression at the expense of engine life.

Let's all take a deep breath. Relax, the bike can take it.

I won't mention the hell on earth my old XL80 went through, wouldn't be proper.

Xert

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
Most motors are broken in after about 100 miles. If you ask people who build bike motors they will tell you this is true. Though there is some additional seating of the valves to the valve seats after that point, the cams, bearings and rings are pretty much settled.
Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly... When you rebuild a car motor, It says on the cam and lifter kit (good kits) to apply the supplied cam lube on each of the lobes, when you start it for the first time, run it at 1700 - 2000 RPM's for fifteen minutes to break the cam in.
I am good friends with the owner of a motorcycle shop that rebuilds motors all the time and he is the one that told me 2 tanks of gas, then ease into it (riding the gears out)
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> by RCJohn
Racing engines don't run a 1000 miles(300 miles for roadracing bikes is a little closer)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He has a FJ1200 with a 1380 kit in it... he rebuilt it a couple years ago, 178 rwhp. He races it every wednesday and every saturday. That is WELL OVER 300 miles. Also on my bikes, when dyno'ed, have been at least the same as any other of the same bike, mostly 1 - 3 horsies more.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>by riverrunner_2000
You are exactly the type of bike owner that is the reason that I would NEVER buy a used bike! Listen- Please Dont pass advice that you dont know to be true. The BUILDER/ DESIGNER <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well here I say again... The person that I found out this info from is a motorcycle shop owner/head mechanic, very well respected, been in business for 10+ years and he said: "2 gas tanks full, and then ease into it"

You can say and think whatever you want but the fact of the matter is the motor is broke in somewhere between 200 - 300 miles.

- Jeff-

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:
snip... but telling -or implying to- a guy to just ride the crap out of it from the start is just wrong.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I NEVER said "to just ride the crap out of it from the start" I said after 2 tanks. (approx 275 - 300 miles)

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

1 - 20 of 25 Posts