Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just bought a new, 07 ZX6R with no miles on it. ive had another, older
ZX6R (02) and put 8k miles on it but i didnt buy it new. i've heard alot of different answers as to the "break in" period. some people say to keep it under 8 or 10k rpm and still others say to wrap it out constantly the first few hundred miles. the dealer i got it from told me to read the manuel, cuz she didnt know. also, dont i have to change the oil after the first couple hundred miles?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
There are basically 2 schools of thought. First is to follow the manual and keep it below a certain RPM (usually about 10K for newer 600's) and fluctuate your rps a little bit (don't cruise at a constant speed for very long) and change your oil at about 500-700 miles.

Then there's the approach of wringing the piss out of it for a short period, changing the oil, and riding it normally after that.

A search on here, or google, should give you the specifics of the second method.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Doesn't matter. Either way won't hurt it, and by the time you might see a difference between methods (if there is any), you will have long sold it. Lots of people say to change the oil at 50 miles, but the used oil analysis reports I've seen suggest there is minimal wear within that time and it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm with the change the oil after the first 20-50 miles school. The oil will come out full of metal flakes every time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm in the 50/50 school of doing some of both, definitely what ever you do don't baby/grandma or rip on it. Babying it is bad for wear in if you don't intend to baby it for the rest of it's life and ripping on it well I'll just say I've seen engines destroyed by high rpms and high stresses before being broken in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts