Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I just bought a 2007 ZX6R today. I have a question. When I was at the dealership he talked about the 600 mile break in period. My question is is it important to follow those guidelines for the first 600 miles? I knowthat the tires are slick when they are new and you have to be careful until you get that layer off. But Im really eager to really see what my new ride can do and 600 miles seems like a lot. When I bought my GSXR several years ago I rode it soft for about the first 50 miles and then I just let it rip and I never had any mechanical problems with that bike. Is it just Kawasaki covering their butts or is it really neccesary???

·
Registered
51 Posts
get it run in on a dyno, its meant to give you the best run in and hence best power out of a new engine. Thats what iv read and been told by a few different people anyway.

Nice choice of bike by the way, gotta love the kawi's

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
get it run in on a dyno, its meant to give you the best run in and hence best power out of a new engine. Thats what iv read and been told by a few different people anyway.

Nice choice of bike by the way, gotta love the kawi's
x2, dyno break ins are supposedly the best. if not, ride it like you stole it for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys, how much should i expect to pay to get it run in on a dyno? And can anyone point me in the right direction on where to get done? Is that a service I can hve done at the dealership?

·
Registered
30 Posts
When parts are not mated correctly, they will have premeture failure. Maybe not right a way, but they do fail. I have heard about the dyno break in method and the ride it like you stole it method and have fixed guys bikes who did these methods.

The bike comes with an owners manual and usually all the Kawasaki's I have seen usually require a 1k mile break in.

I recommend reading the owners manual and see how they say to break it in. I usually follow or just a very little bit harder than what they say for the break in period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the responses guys. While using a dyno seems like the way to go I don't have the time or the money for that so I will have to ride it in. I will just have to find a nice police free stretch of road where I can really open it up.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
When parts are not mated correctly, they will have premeture failure. Maybe not right a way, but they do fail. I have heard about the dyno break in method and the ride it like you stole it method and have fixed guys bikes who did these methods.

The bike comes with an owners manual and usually all the Kawasaki's I have seen usually require a 1k mile break in.

I recommend reading the owners manual and see how they say to break it in. I usually follow or just a very little bit harder than what they say for the break in period.
This is the route I'd go with a new bike, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The manual says to keep the engine under 4000 rpms for the first 500 miles. I took it out today, its impossible to keep that thing under 4k!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I rode for about 15 miles today in stop and go traffic and on the interstate. I just dont understand what I am doing wrong. The manual says stay under 4k rpms for the first 500 miles but its impossible, even in 6th gear once i get over 30 mph its well over 4k. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok I rode for about 15 miles today in stop and go traffic and on the interstate. I just dont understand what I am doing wrong. The manual says stay under 4k rpms for the first 500 miles but its impossible, even in 6th gear once i get over 30 mph its well over 4k. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!!

I too just got a ZX6R and in the break in period. I also found it hard to keep it in that 4K rpm range all the time, but can keep it under 6K.
I talked to the guy at the dealer and he said that the 4K range is just a manufacturer's suggestion and that going a couple thousand RPMs over during the break in period isn't going to hurt.

I believe that they are trying to say you should shift up according to your speed to keep the RPMs down as much as possible instead of racing the engine at high RPMs in a lower gears. Basically you want to work all the gears through. So at about 50+ mph you should be in 6th and probably be in the 6k rpm range.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
guys, enough!!! just RIDE the dayum bike for pete's sake. quit treating it like its a virgin and ride the bitch!!!!!! cause if you dont, ill come over and show you how to ride.

dayum!!!!!

just dont keep it at a constant rpm. fluctuate the rpm's, even when cruising!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
DemonRR's right! haha. But, IMHO, the 'right' way to break in any engine is to use it exactly like you are going to use it after the 'break in' period. If your riding it like a granny, the piston rings are not going to have alot of pressure on them and thus wont seat as well as if you rode it like a real man. I could go into all the specifics and science, but I wont. Only other recomendation I have would be to use conventional oil for the break in, and then switch to synthetic after.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm sorry,but I'm gonna have to disagree here. I say break it in like the manufacturer says to do.

Do you honestly think that you know more than the engineers that designed and built the bike? Personally, I'd listen to them before a bunch of random guys on a website forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
guys, enough!!! just RIDE the dayum bike for pete's sake. quit treating it like its a virgin and ride the bitch!!!!!! cause if you dont, ill come over and show you how to ride.

dayum!!!!!

just dont keep it at a constant rpm. fluctuate the rpm's, even when cruising!!!
Haha, hell yeah. Good man. This quote gave me goosebumps!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm sorry,but I'm gonna have to disagree here. I say break it in like the manufacturer says to do.

Do you honestly think that you know more than the engineers that designed and built the bike? Personally, I'd listen to them before a bunch of random guys on a website forum.
Yeah, your probably right zxrider. I know theres a whole bunch of people that stand by the manufacturers specs, and a whole bunch of people that swear by the concept I talked about. Its just what I choose to belive. I had it explained to me by a few mechanic friends, and it made alot of sense to me.

But Im not one to agrue about such things ;)

Ill ask one of the mechanics that explained it to me why the manufactures tell you to take it easy, just for kicks.

But you do raise a good point. If you can engineer all these kick-ass motors, you must know what the hell your doing :p

:cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
as long as you don't race the engine through the lower gears and and don't stay at the same RPM's, you will do no harm to the rings. Taking it easy causes the ring to not have enough pressure all the way around the ring to seat properly, causing the the rings to leak into oil. Which leads to the oil becoming contaminated thus robing power and causing more wear in engine. I never go above 8k on my machines the first 1k miles and those rings look better than my brothers, who likes to follow word for word in the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I agree. Back in 1998 I had a new ZX-9R and I worked at D&D Exhaust back then. We dynoed my ZX9 when it had 700 easy miles and changed the oil and filter and made a pull. We did it again when I had 1500 miles(changed the oil and filter 2 more times) and it gained 8 HP.My co worker had a R1 back then he too noticed my ZX9 ran harder after a 1500 miles.:) I have been Drag racing bikes for 30 years I would Not Drive it Hard until I had driven at leat 600 miles and changed the oil and filter.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I kept mine under 4000 first 500....then under 6000 till 1000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts