Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never really thought of that before. I prob would be second, third, and fourth guessing him if his site looked remotely professional.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Here's something that makes little sense to me about his concepts. There are two major parts on a bike for drive: engine and tranny.

The engine can be driven through its entire tach range in one gear and will have a direct correleation on the speed of the pistons in the cylinder. Yet he suggests you have to run up and down rpms in 2-4.

Now, one might suggest its about load. But I fail to see how load has anything to do with the ring seating in a cylinder. Any thoughts on his logic?

On top of that, he suggests changing oil in the first 20mi. Yet he also suggests that its first hour of run is the most important. How can one run a bike for an hour yet not go over 20mi? Or, if you stop in the middle to do an oil change, aren't you losing that all-important break-in period time waiting for the bike to warm back up?

All those questions, but I've already heard of the up-and-down method. A relative who's a very long-time farmer has always done this to tractors and they've always worked beautifully with little serious engine wear.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
His suggestions are darn good. You can use them as a good guide. Basically I break in my bikes along the same manner & not one bike has ever suffered. Presently oldest bike is the '97 Yamaha YZF600r with a lot of miles on it in said 8 miles yet have put more miles on other bikes in the past. Never had problems with prior bikes over the past 60 yrs or riding.

I can say friends & myself rode our bikes hard & did not baby them in the first 1000 miles. Mind you in two-strokes we never favoured them & rode them hard to raced themright from the start, but two-strokes are so different.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I've used his methode on two bikes, and I cant tell you that it wont hurt anything... as for how much good it actually does... I'm not so sure. After all the cylinder walls are supposed to be practically ceramic, and if thats the case, I doubt they are going to wear into the rings, or loose any sort of honing pattern.

The guys writing style is absolutely atrocious. I keep expecting to read "For only $39.95! Not available anywhere else!" I swear one more "out of the box" "5.9 horses" and I'm going to have to slap him. I mean, its been years since I've read his site.. it should not provoke that sort of hostility!

·
Registered
34 Posts
While I was in colege for automotive technoligy our instructors taught us how to break in engins after a rebuild. We were told to get to 30 and floor it up to 70, come back down and repeat. For the most part it was the same as what he says. Had I only heard it from him I would have laughed and ignored him because of his site but since I've heard it from a more profesional (and informed) person I'll agree with him. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts