Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barely have 150 miles on them and picked up a big ass screw....anybody trust a plugged tire?????

·
Registered
627 Posts
akcbr said:
Barely have 150 miles on them and picked up a big ass screw....anybody trust a plugged tire?????
No.

That insurance they sell through cycle gear is looking pretty good right now, isn't it

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: brand new 208's screwwwed

R6steve said:
No.

That insurance they sell through cycle gear is looking pretty good right now, isn't it

never heard of it, but i'm gonna go to their site if they have one...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
http://www.sportbikeworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12563&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

and here is my post from that thread:

after reading the rest of the posts, I think I should tell my story. I was going about 70 MPH when my plug came out. I never felt the tire blow, all I know is, when I leaned the bike over to enter a curve, it didn't turn. 70 MPH, straight off a curve. My memory stops when my front tire hit the dirt at the edge of the road, and picks up again when my helmet touched down on the asphalt (I somehow managed to slide in the dirt down the edge of the road with just my head on the asphalt). All I could hear was that awful grinding noise of my shoei being reduced to dust. I suffered a sperated shoulder, 2 broken ribs, sprained ankle, fractured bone in my left foot, and PLENTY of road rash where my pants tore away, my jacket sleeve rolled up, and the back and side of my jacket pulled up. The bike ran into me after I finally sild to a stop. The bike was basically totalled. If it had been an insurance repair, it would have been a write off. Unfortunately, I didn't have full coverage. So, its been a little by little, piece by piece repair job. Its now back on the road, but every piece of plastic on the bike is damaged in some way. The price of a new tire would have been FAR less then what I've ended up paying in medical bills, and repair parts for my bike.

So, in summary.... Replace the tire. That barium shit they make you drink before your CAT scan tastes TERRIBLE... I wouldn't want you to have to go through that.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have plugged and road on several rear tires including a D208, so you have my OK. Now front is a different story. I would replace that.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Kevlar, that is a horrible way to have to learn something. My riding buddy had the same thing happen to him on his new dunlops, except the back tire ended up with the screw. He ended up putting a new tube in the tire and so far has had no problems with it. I don't recommend patching it or plugging it, however I do know that cycle tires are way expensive.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
ga_skyline_rydr said:
He ended up putting a new tube in the tire and so far has had no problems with it.
I did not know that MC street tires came with tubes. :twofinger

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Plugged tires

I've heard from some mechanics that say plugged motorcycle tires are ok up to about 80mph. I've not had a plugged tire, but I've told myself I'd be kind of reluctant to ride around on one for any extended period of time. I just wouldn't completely trust it.

However, after reading Kevlar7R's story, I'm fully convinced- there's no way I'd ride on a plugged tire except to get me to the tire store! Yikes!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
ga_skyline_rydr said:
Kevlar, that is a horrible way to have to learn something. My riding buddy had the same thing happen to him on his new dunlops, except the back tire ended up with the screw.
It was my rear tire. A blown/flat rear tire is fairly easy to control if you are going straight. Unfortunately, as I learned, Motorcycles don't turn on flat tires.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a plugged tyre at the moment, and I'm gonna keep it till money isn't so tight. I mainly commute though, so I rarely go above 100KPH.
Its always in the back of my mind though:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
To Plug or Not to Plug?

Bobby,

Hows the plug holding up?

I'm asking because I found a screw right in the centre of my rear tyre last night and either need it repaired or replaced. My local dealer will repair it and as I'm broke I'll risk it until I can afford a new one.

I recon' the tyre has about 1000 to 2000 miles left in it. Out of interest what's the average mileage for Dunlop D207's on a CBR F4?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Re: To Plug or Not to Plug?

SussexMan said:
Bobby,

I recon' the tyre has about 1000 to 2000 miles left in it. Out of interest what's the average mileage for Dunlop D207's on a CBR F4?
There is no way to tell what the avg. mileage for a tire is...it depends on the rider and his or her style of riding. Some might get 6-8 k out of it, while someone might have it toasted in 1500-2500.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6 Posts
i a have a plug in my front tire plugged it my self.i rode all summer
with that plug at sometimes well over 100mph.dont use the plugs
that you have to add the adhesive too,i use the ones with the
adhesive allready on them,avd i always cut them off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use a patch

there was a local tire shop in the town that i live in they weren't allow to plug a m/c tire due to insurance risk... but they could use a patch ... might wana check into that ...

i've seen them used on anything from atv tires to tractor tailer tires ...

i'd trust a patch over a plugg .. as long as it done right naturally

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would trust the ones we use, its a plug/patch that is pulled through the tire from the inside, i dont see how that would ever come out of that tire, no way no how... The patch is a good 2 inches in diameter.. I WOULD NOT trust them junky little glue snakes though, the ones that you just push in and then you pull the tool out... cmon, thats a half ass plug, and nothing to bet your life on...

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I feel a plug should only be used in emergency situations. For example, if you are out and your tire gets a nail, use a quality plug to get it home. Once you are home, replace the tire.

Plugs are known to come out and patches do not restore the structural integrity of the tire. When a tire is punctured, the bands are destroyed or misaligned. This compromises the structure and can lead to further problems. It will work for a car, but should not be done to a bike.

Sometimes a plug will last, it's a gamble. You could also put one bullet in a revolver, point it at yourself, spin it, and pull the trigger. You may get shot, you may not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree...Money should never be a reason to plug a tire. One of my friends picked up a nail at 147 miles on a new tire...that sucks. On a car a blowout is no big deal, on a motorcycle its a crash. One of the parts of my insurance contract negates all coverage if I crash because of a tire if it has been plugged, patched or otherwise repaired due to damage that would render the tire inoperable without the repair. Falls under the willfull neglect part.
Think of it this way, thats $200 for a new tire...$200 will be the cost of 1- A new riding jacket, 2- A new helmet (cheap) 3- A new fairing (if you're lucky) 4- your deductable (if you pay for that level)

Its not worth it. Not to mention who wants to worry about that while you're riding? It takes away attention that could be better put towards watching out for that cage driving, cell phone bitch who just pulled out in front of you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got It Plugged

I've just had my rear tyre repaired. The shop told me that it's OK to repair it once, but next time I'll have to replace it.

When I asked them if the repair reduces the speed rating of the tyre they said no, but my Honda manual says not to ride at over 80MPH. Who's right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts