Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should a brand new '05 R6 have squeaky brakes already? I have noticed they make a slight squeal or squeak which I assume is coming from the rear. Is this normal or should I be worried about it? What should stop the noise? It is a new bike, so... Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The noise could go away with some hard braking, which would remove the glazed material. Obviously it's difficult to do hardbraking on the rear wheel without locking it up, so you should take some fine sandpaper (220) to the disc and some corse sand paper to the brake pads. Brake pads should wear away the ceramic to reveal fresh material, but when a person does light braking or rides the brakes, instead it heats up the ceramic into a hard smooth surface, which is called glazed.

Don't use the rear brake. Isn't 70 or 80 percent of your stopping power up front?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like some good advice. I usually tap the rear brake first before hitting the front brake, so I would say that I may "ride" the rear brake a bit before stopping, which I guess is glazing the disc. I'll have to try hard braking. That sounds like it could help a lot. It's just kind of annoying pulling up to a stop light with a brand new bike and it's already squeakin'!! :crying: Keep me informed! thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts