Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.. u shouldnt b playing w/fire at all.. u should probably leave the barbie dolls alone too. :D

a cool flame.. a flame that u could easily pass your hand over or even through w/out burning. on one of those big hand held butane torches.. its using just enough gas to make a flame.

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedPhreak:

a cool flame.. a flame that u could easily pass your hand over or even through w/out burning. on one of those big hand held butane torches.. its using just enough gas to make a flame.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And when testing the coolness in this manner, be sure NOT to use the back of your hand, because no matter how cool the flame, burnt hair stinks. :D

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that,
deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
4 Posts
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS WASH ALL THE CONTAMINATED PARTS IN A HIGH FLASH POINT THINNERS, CELLULOSE PAINT THINNERS SHOULD DO FINE THEN LEAVE TO DRY IF NOT AVALIABLE USE A GOOD QUALITY DE-GREASER . SEE YA ;-)

p.s sorry for shouting (new to this & keep forgetting)
------------------

[This message has been edited by MARTS ZX9 GRRR (edited August 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MARTS ZX9 GRRR (edited August 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
938 Posts
I changed the rear brake line from stock to SS last night. While I was draining the brake fluid from lines and resevoir, my bleeder line popped off the bleeder and fluid ran all over the caliper and disc. I cleaned all the fluid that I could see off. I finished swapping out the line and then bleeding it. The brake lever feels really firm, but the rear brake doesn't have the same stopping power it did before the swap.

My guess is that some of the brake fluid made its way onto my pads. I haven't pulled the caliper to verify this yet. My question is will the fluid burn off with use or do I just need to get a new set of pads?

On a similar note, I also changed the stock bleeder to a Russell speed bleeder. It works great. One bit of advice though, do not overtighten them when installing. I managed to snap the first one off flush with the caliper :mad:. Thank god for EZ outs.

------------------
http://gsxr750.sportbikeworld.com -Almost finished!
Formerly known as GSXR750

P

·
0 Posts
I'd pull the caliper and clean the whole thing with brake cleaner, including the disk. At the very least, wash/rinse the whole thing off with soap & water to make sure that you don't have any brake fluid left on the caliper or it will eat into the finish.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that,
deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

·
Registered
987 Posts
Give the entire assembly, including the disc, a good rinse with brake parts cleaner, available at any auto parts store. Wipe the disc with a clean towel. If you're still not satisfied, replace the pads. Generally fluid that has been spilled on pads can be removed BEFORE they are used. Once you use them, the heat can cause the lining and the fluid to react and form a sort of glaze on the pads, which takes a very long time to wear off. Some pads absorb and hold fluid more readily than others.

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another thing to do is "sweat" the rotor.. use a cool flame & moving quickly evaporate any liquids on the rotor.. when i did this the 1st time my rotor looked clean & dry.. but once i started i could see liquid forming on the x-drilled holes & actually puddling up.

------------------

·
Registered
938 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedPhreak:
.. use a cool flame...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by a cool flame? Or is this a case of if you don't know what a cool flame is, you shouldn't be playing with fire :D.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
WHY DON"T YOU EDIT THE MESSAGE AGAIN AND PUT EVERYTHING TO LOWERCASE ?? :)

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
938 Posts
OK, I picked up some brake cleaner on the way home and I have a troch already. Hmmm, maybe if I use them both at the same time ;) :D.

Seriously though, I am going to try the brake cleaner first. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree on the cleaning tips given but I also recommend that you get new pads. It is just not worth the risk, plus you will have everthing apart already and pads are not very expesive. :) Just my $.02.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
938 Posts
Looks like I'll be doing what John suggested. I cleaned them thoroughly and even bled them again, but it still doesn't seem right. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Thanks Again to all.

------------------

·
Registered
331 Posts
Who cares about stopping power from the rear brake anyway? F&%K IT! My .02

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbr600f4gd:
Who cares about stopping power from the rear brake anyway? F&%K IT! My .02

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! :D

I thought those things were just on the RC 51 to meet DOT regualtions. I haven't tried them yet. :rolleyes: Do they really work? ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
938 Posts
I don't use the rear much when I'm riding by myself, but I do a fair amount of two-up riding and use it frequently then. I put the new pads on this morning, but have yet to take it for a spin.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts