Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to pull it out for spring. Last season near the end my tach would start bouncing after awhile. It would start out normal, but after I'd ridden for a bit, or went out on the highway and rev'd it up the needle would bounce up and down when my revs changed.

For example, I'd be going at 6k, give it a bit of gas, needle would bounce to 8, back to 5 and eventually end up sitting at 7. It really went nuts when I gave it a lot of throttle. Bike seemed to be running good though. Just any ideas of what I could look over while I've got all the plastics off and everything to fix this annoyance would be great.

Thanks for the help.:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
My first guess would be a faulty sending unit. After that I would check it over for loose or bad connections, bad wiring, or it's always possible the circuit board on your clocks is starting to develop a problem. But if it's an older bike with a mechanical driven tach, then it sounds like a sticky drive cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tachometer problem

I have a similar problem. I have a 1996 Honda CBR 600 F3. We just replaced 2nd gear and its adjacent shifting fork in the transmission (not fun, try to avoid). Anyway, the tranny is running great now, but at about 7 grand in any gear, the tachometer goes crazy and it feels like I'm losing power until I shift up into the next gear. We did put on a new chain, front and rear sprokets, but I really think this has nothing to do with the gear ratios. Another site said it could be a lose electrical connection and/or a bad battery, but we also replaced the temperature sending unit on the repair and I think this unit is about 7 degrees off the old one, show it shows up a bit hotter than what it is. Did you fix your problem, if so, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts