Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've probably seen this...but I thought it was funny and sadly, true!!


According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our cribs were covered with brightly colored lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans. When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter, pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot to add the brakes.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 299 channels on TV, no videotaped movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chatrooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We played knock-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us. We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mommy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...they actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them!


Jen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
636Jen said:
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot to add the brakes.


Jen
I think about that as I buckle Maia into her child-safety booster seat. And then toss her on the back of my bike!

Kinda OT but related to safety :rolleyes: I'm on business in a no-helmet law state. I saw a fully race-leathered rider on a matching Yamaha R1 - with no helmet! He doesn't want roadrash but he doesn't mind if his face gets mashed? :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
HA!
You see that often in Ohio.
I cannot tell you the number of times that I see fully leathered, race booted, Held gloved Ninja and Haybusa riders go blasting by, all topped off with really nice Oakley sunglasses and no helmet!

I guess they are wearing the Magic Oakleys? Or would that be the Star Trek Force Field edition Oakleys?
Amazing to see . . . such stupidity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now that some of you have read this, I have a couple of questions.....

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?



Jen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
636Jen said:
So now that some of you have read this, I have a couple of questions.....

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?



Jen
I think they have gotten outta hand, but most are creature comforts and not law.
If there is room for improvement for safety's sake, have at it, but lets not get crazy with laws...and lets not sugar coat our world too much, otherwise, serious problems in the future of our race would whimp us out.

Helmets for motorcycles I approve.
Real minor head impacts can cause drastic results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
636Jen said:
So now that some of you have read this, I have a couple of questions.....

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?



Jen
I think things are out of control. Laws shouldn't exist to protect me from my own stupidity. However, I'm glad as hell that I make my kid wear his helmet on his bicycle, and I'm glad that as a society we are more safety conscious.

He and my daughter were riding thier bikes on the sidewalk in front of my house. A friend was over, and her Jeep's bumper was just barely overhanging the sidewalk. My son passed it for his hundredth or so time, and caught the corner of his handlebar on the bumper. I watched in slow motion as he came down headfirst on the cement of the sidewalk. Thankfully he had on a helmet, or I'm sure we would have been calling 911. Not a scrape on him, but the helmet was cracked and the foam was obviously deformed.


Kevin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Where's JT when you need him...he is usually good for a real entertaining rant on how laws that are made to protect me from me are useless, then you have laws that protect common idiocy.

Some of these laws are a waste of time and money. Haven't they learned that you can't fix stupid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
636Jen said:
So now that some of you have read this, I have a couple of questions.....

Do you think that we do in fact need all of these safety features such as helmets on bikes (pedal and motorcycles), seatbelts and booster seats, cell phones for kids, child proof lids, latches on doors, leashes on kids, etc? Do you think the safety issues have gotten out of control or do you think there is a general need for these kind of precautionary measures?



Jen
I totally agree with helmet laws. We have them here for pushbikes as well as motorbikes. Heck, they should be mandatory for skateboarders and rollerbladers IMHO, but I'm not going to be drawn into a debate about it. Suffice it to say, I saw a kid go down on a skateboard (just rolling down the sidewalk, not doing any tricks), hit his head and die.

I think that some safety restrictions have gotten out of hand, but probably just as much because of possible lawsuits than actually preventing people from getting hurt. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
Our kid's today are set up for failure in the real world. School's teach them that everything is fair. They let them spell how it sounds because if they give the kid a bad grade that kid may have a complex about it and never recover. Cell phones for kids!?? They never leave the house as it is. Between the internet, TV and video games they don't get out side. Then if they do go outside they need to have the PF 50 sunblock on :rolleyes: OK I'll stop before I really get going :D Poor kids of today :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
cookeetree said:
I totally agree with helmet laws. We have them here for pushbikes as well as motorbikes. Heck, they should be mandatory for skateboarders and rollerbladers IMHO, but I'm not going to be drawn into a debate about it. Suffice it to say, I saw a kid go down on a skateboard (just rolling down the sidewalk, not doing any tricks), hit his head and die.

I think that some safety restrictions have gotten out of hand, but probably just as much because of possible lawsuits than actually preventing people from getting hurt. :2cents:
you think i should HAVE to wear a helmet when i go rollerblade through the sub? or take the mountainbike out for a leisurely ride???
damn man, we have some majorly different views on things...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
I think all this safety crap is over rated and in the long run hurts people. Why, because if I was a kid and wore all this safety crap I wouldn't have known just how bad a wipe out hurts, you gotta burn your finger to know it's hot, right! Now these kids grow up thinking they're truely invinciable because they havent tasted REAL pain yet and I'm not talking banging your head on the ground with a helmet on, I'm talking smaking your head so hard your dizzy and you REALLY think twice about doing it again! Hell when I was a kid I remember hitting crazy ass jumps on my bicycle and taking some really nasty falls, but hey I learned.

As for TV, video games, my generation was the atari 2600 so while they were there for us to use, they simply sucked and playing football was just more fun.

The kids of tomorrow are going be 10 years old 200+ lbs lack any verbal or emotional communication skills and will have artheritous (sp) in both hands and taking some type of pain killer for it that the government will be all to happy to provide as long as they're parents have insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
tikki50 said:
I think all this safety crap is over rated and in the long run hurts people. Why, because if I was a kid and wore all this safety crap I wouldn't have known just how bad a wipe out hurts, you gotta burn your finger to know it's hot, right! Now these kids grow up thinking they're truely invinciable because they havent tasted REAL pain yet and I'm not talking banging your head on the ground with a helmet on, I'm talking smaking your head so hard your dizzy and you REALLY think twice about doing it again! Hell when I was a kid I remember hitting crazy ass jumps on my bicycle and taking some really nasty falls, but hey I learned.

As for TV, video games, my generation was the atari 2600 so while they were there for us to use, they simply sucked and playing football was just more fun.

The kids of tomorrow are going be 10 years old 200+ lbs lack any verbal or emotional communication skills and will have artheritous (sp) in both hands and taking some type of pain killer for it that the government will be all to happy to provide as long as they're parents have insurance.
lets face it civiilazition as we know it has progressivily made wuses out of our children. I was born and raised here but when I went to Jamaica as a little kid I saw kids at the age of 12 climbing 2 story coconut trees with machetes mind you. They would chop down the nuts then they would climb halfway down and then drop the rest of the way. I was amazed! Kids ran barefoot I tried it and was rewarded with stubbed toes and burnt heels. Showers were taken with cold water and during storms the lights would go out, that wasn't to bad b/c even if we did watch tv there were only 3 channels. I got adjusted to all this as a kid but todays kid would find it hell. Whenever my parents say they had it rough as kids in Jamaica I would remember that lil vacation and shudder,
Nope todays kids would hate living like my parents did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
jjkGURU said:
you think i should HAVE to wear a helmet when i go rollerblade through the sub? or take the mountainbike out for a leisurely ride???
damn man, we have some majorly different views on things...
Kudos on the Skateboard incident mention Cookie,
But James has a point..
I'd feel waaaay less diswrought over James splitting his head open and dying from a skateboard accident, than say..... a child...:D


Cliffnotes:
Although I do own a Serfas Vault...I rarley wear it while mountainbiking on "Most Difficult" rated trails,....."for outsiders, mountainbike trails are rated like ski slopes.." never wear it for touring/road biking, and would wear one if I was competing on road or off, and believe there is a need for them for extended time, higher speed, road riding, such as during competitions.
Outside of that....
I think bike helmets are kinda....


Well...........Ya know what I mean.....
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
Karmastuntra said:
lets face it civiilazition as we know it has progressivily made wuses out of our children. I was born and raised here but when I went to Jamaica as a little kid I saw kids at the age of 12 climbing 2 story coconut trees with machetes mind you. They would chop down the nuts then they would climb halfway down and then drop the rest of the way. I was amazed! Kids ran barefoot I tried it and was rewarded with stubbed toes and burnt heels. Showers were taken with cold water and during storms the lights would go out, that wasn't to bad b/c even if we did watch tv there were only 3 channels. I got adjusted to all this as a kid but todays kid would find it hell. Whenever my parents say they had it rough as kids in Jamaica I would remember that lil vacation and shudder,
Nope todays kids would hate living like my parents did.
I'm really glad nobody uses chamber pots anymore....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
Gear shouldn't make you feel invincible...but for some people it does to a certain extent. I remember growing up EVERY time I had a big fall on my bike. Because it HURT and I have the scars to prove it...which was like a 3-8 week reminder about how stupid I was and to not do it again. So to me, gear is that oops I made a mistake...oops something beyond my control happened. Not oops oh well I can't get hurt with my super suit on. If I had all the motorcycle riding gear I have now on while riding my bike as a kid I would have been taking more risks than I should have. That's when people get killed, it's hitting the tree at 40 mph...not I scraped my elbow I'm glad I had a helmet pad on. Now that being said, I'm a proponent of helmets for kids cause I value life. But I say let them scrape their knee and learn not to be a DA. Just an opinion from someone who has no kids. :twofinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Atttitudes are interesting too - if that rider I saw got hit - a big deal would be made over the fact the he wasn't wearing a helmet. Not that he was run off the road or t-boned. His injuries / death would be discussed in terms of the ramifications of not wearing a helmet - not in terms of the car who ran him over.

I think we should make our own choices - I choose to wear a helmet because thats how I've always ridden. I've also crashed and hit my head - hard.

I think the wuss kids grew up and are now wuss parents/wuss adults ready to blame someone/anyone/themselves if something happens to their kids no matter how minor. So everyone is afraid of being sued by a wuss parent. Maia fell off something on the playground at school and the school called all freaked out - I asked if she was ok - (as I was getting my keys, wallet together, wondering what hospital she was taken too) and they said she scraped her knee and they thought I should know!

I could bundle Maia up, protect everything I could and something dreadful could still happen. I don't want anyone to have to deal with a closed head injury or paralysis - or chronic pain etc. but there are so many fun things to do and so many things that can go wrong. You/I can't live like that. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
You live and you learn. With some of these laws around your just living without really learning anything. It seems like everyday there is a new law put out to try and protect people without giving them a choice. The latest one I remember was a ban on smoking in the car with a child in the vehicle. I mean honestly do you have to be told you probably should'nt do that? I'm not a smoker myself but I'm getting annoyed at all these laws restriciting where and when you can smoke. Now there is a ban on trans fat used in mc donalds food,donuts and things of that nature. Honeslty if I want to clog my arteries please let me do so. Seems like they're trying to turn America into a land of wussies.:crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
streetbreed22 said:
You live and you learn. With some of these laws around your just living without really learning anything. It seems like everyday there is a new law put out to try and protect people without giving them a choice. The latest one I remember was a ban on smoking in the car with a child in the vehicle. I mean honestly do you have to be told you probably should'nt do that? I'm not a smoker myself but I'm getting annoyed at all these laws restriciting where and when you can smoke. Now there is a ban on trans fat used in mc donalds food,donuts and things of that nature. Honeslty if I want to clog my arteries please let me do so. Seems like they're trying to turn America into a land of wussies.:crying:
+1 I think we cede many of our power and rights to govt as it is. All of this is really a question of what powers the govt should and should not have. I think a simple a warning should do. If people die then you just say they were warned oh well.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top