Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does riding gear do very much to protect them from breaking? My mother is currently using this argument as her defense in the "motorcycles are too dangerous" argument. Any ideas? Anyone have personal experience?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, good gear has CE rated armor. This armor provides impact resistance. Of course armor can only do so much and only works if the gear fits properly.

Everyone has a different definition of what is "too" dangerous and mothers will always be at the extreme when it comes to their younguns. There are things you can do to midigate the danger such as gear and training, but motorcycles still are dangerous. For most of us here the pros far outwiegh the danger, but its something everyone must decide for themselves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have decided for myself. Now my only two problems are saving up the money (which is going pretty good), and trying to keep my mother off my back.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Sudden stops hurt. Gear helps but isn't everything. I had a get-off this year, first in 31 years, at between 80 and 100. I hit a guardrail and/or the bike at the end. I did break my collarbone and a couple of ribs as well as knock the wind out of myself. That was it. The boots with their bracing probably saved some ankle damage. Absolutely NO roadrash though, and no pains other than the breaks. I'll take that any day. Roadrash HURTS! The collarbone and ribs only hurt when you moved wrong... or the ribs when you sneezed... or coughed... or took a deep breath... or tried to lay down..... The ribs just SUCKED. Had I not had the hard impact I probably would have walked away absolutely unscathed.

Best advice is wear good gear and DON'T screw around where there are things to hit that don't move. Safe following distances in traffic, even excessive, and constant awareness of your surroundings. The gear is your best line of defense when all else has failed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
lateott_156 said:
Well, I have decided for myself. Now my only two problems are saving up the money (which is going pretty good), and trying to keep my mother off my back.
Just keep saving your money, and above all else, not matter how difficult it seems, do not disrespect Moms..............

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Limbs are most likely to be damaged if they are outstretched...that is why it is NOT recommended to extend an arm or leg if one is truly going down. Keep your feet on the pegs and your arms on the bars as long as you can. This lesson applies to both road and mountain bicycles as well.

Substantial protective garments might not be magical towards protecting bones, but they sure can't hurt!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rundog said:
Just keep saving your money, and above all else, not matter how difficult it seems, do not disrespect Moms..............
Disrespecting my mother is kinda like being a squid on a bike... it's stupid and dangerous. I do enjoy *ahem* debating with her. Thanks for the replies, they helped me arm a little better durring those debates.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I hear when you crash, you should gracefully fall off the bike. The theory is that you could have a higher risk of more serious injuries if you stayed on the bike, then if you fell off it and gracefully (not being stiff that is) fall off and hit/slide on the ground.

I say thats its a theory because I have yet to prove it myself and I don't plan on proving it ever. Wishful thinking that I'll stay accident free, besides the deer collision.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi JBaz-

One will soon part company with his or her motorcycle if one is crashing for sure. The idea of actively "leaping" away from the crashing bike is when real problems occur. There is always the possibility that one could regain control at the last moment.

Grip the bars and pegs and "ride it down" as far as possible. Physics will assume full duties shortly afterward! :D

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
JBaz said:
I hear when you crash, you should gracefully fall off the bike.
When I read that, I couldn't help but picture the Olympic announcer saying, " Now for the dismount - 2 1/2 somersaults in the pike position" :D

Gotta go with BJ on this...Ride it till you can't. Thinking back on the coupla offs I had, they happened so fast there was no time to think about anything........

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi All-

Limbs are most likely to be damaged if they are outstretched...that is why it is NOT recommended to extend an arm or leg if one is truly going down.
Amen. A friend of mine went down this past saturday. He highsided and stuck out his arm... the result was one of the worst shattered/dislocated/I'm not sure of the exact term wrists seen at the best trauma center in the state..

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You cannot plan how you are going to crash for it comes out of nowhere & basically you are down faster then you can think OR you see it comming & not a darn thing you can do.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Rundog said:

Gotta go with BJ on this...Ride it till you can't. Thinking back on the coupla offs I had, they happened so fast there was no time to think about anything........
That's true. Outside of staying relaxed, which I have reluctantly found I do, I don't know what else to say. I find it funny how some people will expound on all sorts of girations to perform. First, move this leg there, then this arm over your head, swing it twice, etc.;) For those kinds of replies I've concluded that if I had that much time to plan and execute all of those things, I had time not to crash at all.

One important thing that has helped me to relax in the moment is having on the good gear and trusting it. The fears of the pain that's coming from road rash is relieved and affords the comfort of knowing that "this probably ain't gonna' be too bad". The other thing is to let the crash finish once it's already happened. Don't try to get up, don't try to put your hands down to do so. That's a good way to wrench a wrist or go tumbling if you get a footing. There are many videos of just that happening. If you've gone down at a good speed, you'll feel like it's all done, meanwhile you're still moving pretty good.

Also, when you ARE done sliding, unless there's a big urgency to move out of the way, stay put for a minute. Even if you have to move, find a good place to lay back down for a minute or two. The adrenaline is big and you may not recognize what you've really hurt, if anything. Lay still, try to relax, and gradually take inventory. With good gear you'll probably be fine. If there are any definite injuries, calmly recognize what you can about them and calmly be sure not to do anything to make them worse. Don't panic about the bike. It's too late to change what's happened to it and it'll be there in all of its bent and scraped glory when you're good and ready to actually deal with it. Hope you never need to deal with this but if you do, hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Unas_the_Slayer:

Yikes! :eek: Hope your riding friend has a speedy recovery.

The only thing we can do as streetriders is to utilize the best protective gear available and ride with a suitable "performance cushion" to deal with the proverbial refrigerator that has fallen from a delivery truck and is laying in the road just around the bend...

Riding dirtbikes or mountainbikes will get one accustomed to the idea of occasionally going down (although not at speed) and how to ride the bike to the ground. It is my hope that the lessons I've learned there have so far successfully kept the rubber side down and the shiny side up for me.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats the only thing I fear more then anything about riding. Dying? hopefully not painful. Breaking a bone? Getting it set back into place without painkillers? Ugh truely a painful experience.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rundog said:
When I read that, I couldn't help but picture the Olympic announcer saying, " Now for the dismount - 2 1/2 somersaults in the pike position" :D

LOL! I wonder what my dismount was two days ago? Kind of wish I had a video of that... Well, maybe not, I would hate for my Mom to ever catch sight of it :eek:

As I posted in "My turn to prang", I held on to the bike as long as I could, then I "gracefully" separated, though for the life of me I could not describe to anyone at which point that happened. It must have happened when the bike was almost done sliding, because my body hardly slid on the pavement at all, at least according to my inspection of scrapes on the gear. I have to say that not having separated from the bike sooner, I probably did save myself some broken bones, just by letting the bike do most of the sliding on the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts