Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are Beemers so expensive here in the US? As an example, the BMW R1150GS is only a little more expensive than the Triumph Tiger in the UK, but here its almost half again as much! :eek: :confused:

------------------
"It came to pass..."

·
Registered
440 Posts
BMW cars in Europe don't come with as much standard equipment as they do over here. Not sure about the bikes. I assume emissions regs play a part, but I suspect most of the price difference is marketing. People are willing to pay a premium for BMWs, and BMW gladly charges what the market will bear.

One other thing to consider if you're financing: BMW usually had pretty good interest rates, and insurance is relatively inexpensive. Factor those two variables with the excellent resale value and the cost of ownership looks pretty good.

I bought a used BMW because the new ones are so expensive. I'm planning to buy another bike next spring. Don't know if I'll spring for an R1150S or save some money with another brand. The price difference between a new BMW and a new Honda/Triumph/Whatever will pay for a Suzuki DR400E.

Gotta plug in the payments plus insurance and see which is the best buy for the money.

------------------
"For every action there is an equal and moronic overreaction."
Peter Egan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Keep in mind that BMW resale in the US is also top dollar. The investment is higher, but the return when you sell is higher also.

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Supply and demand, US customers slurge on what they like, unlike euro people that'll throw a fit in the middle of a showroom if they dont like the price, then go out and buy something else just to prove a point.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There's also the cost of shipping them over the pond to contend with. Just a thought........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts