Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the shop to grab some lunch and while I was sitting outside I watch a guy reverse his Bloody 4WD into my parked bike! What is about these things all my yelling fail to alert the driver, I left plenty of room behind him the bike was in plain view what gives? Don't they have to friggin look or something.:finger:
Fortunately he stopped to go forward just as the bike was about to fall over. Ran over to stop him as he was going to drive off....and what did he say sorry didn't see you! How friggin hard is it to look in a mirror? Anyway the damage is only a scuff on the indicator and mirror so far but I got his name and rego just incase.
My advice don't assume anything especialy with 4WDs always leave plenty of room, just because your not on the bike dosn't mean it won't cost you:2cents: if your not there.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
A guy once had a Hummer climbed on top of his parked CBR F3. The driver was drunk, the bike was totalled. He wasn't reversing, he just decided to park on top of the bike, because he thought the bike was imaginary.

SUV drivers are brain dead, it's a weird mentality which says my vehicle is a gas-guzzler, goes slow, but I own the road, so get out of my way, because I can't see.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't blame it on the vehicle. There are idiots everywhere. All those stories could just as well be a car. I drive a SUV, does that mean I am "brain Dead?" I need it to gussle gas while it is pulling my big ass, gas gussling boat.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
psudy said:
Don't blame it on the vehicle. There are idiots everywhere. All those stories could just as well be a car. I drive a SUV, does that mean I am "brain Dead?" I need it to gussle gas while it is pulling my big ass, gas gussling boat.
:laughing: I have to agree. I've seen more brain dead bike riders than SUV drivers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
SUV drivers are brain dead, it's a weird mentality which says my vehicle is a gas-guzzler, goes slow, but I own the road, so get out of my way, because I can't see.
I think you should think about what you say about SUV drivers. I guess I am brain dead since I have a jacked up 4Runner SUV. I am allways cautious when I drive, especially when it comes to watching motorcyclists.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Having had a similar experience with a minivan & my old 900 Ninja, I realized that the best way to protect yourself in this situation is to park so that the bike is visible from the drivers' side area outside the door, and from the drivers' side rearview mirror. Often a bike can't be seen from the inside rearview mirror once the driver is seated & ready to go, so by parking your bike where the driver can see it before entering the vehicle, you minimize the risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
I pass them on one wheel
Before or after your license is reinstated? ;)

I hate SUVs at least as much as the next guy, but assholes have all kinds of rides. It's just more important to assume the guy in the H2 is clueless since if it looks at your bike funny it'll probably be totaled!

Good luck getting the bike fixxored.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I have relatives in Alaska that'd be news to me!

Most of my relatives are either in Ohio or Minnesota. I've never met a Koob I wasn't related to, but it turns out there are two other Koob's that are members at the rock gym here in Austin. I do however have a fraternity brother from Alaska.

So... right, there's some trivia about my last name if you were (or weren't!) interested.

What brought that on? Know some Koob's in AK psudy?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psudy said:
Your right, think I just got caught up in the moment, it's not so much the drivers I suppose it the fact that it hard to see around them.
I was going to buy one but bought a bike instead,
After all I only have to haul my fat arse around(not refering to my Loving wife by to way).
Cheers Roo. :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Average is around $1.35 per litre but I use Premium 95(RON) @ about $1.45, $18 bucks to fill her and it lasts me about 1 or 2 weeks.
Still cheeper than the car $85 a week(Toyota Camry).

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
rooboy said:
Average is around $1.35 per litre but I use Premium 95(RON) @ about $1.45...
Mate, save the money. It was discussed on here a while ago that, unless your engine is set-up to run Premium, you'll get no advantages from it. It'll only cost you more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cookeetree said:
Mate, save the money. It was discussed on here a while ago that, unless your engine is set-up to run Premium, you'll get no advantages from it. It'll only cost you more.
Advice i'll take.
Cheers Roo.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Some info from the 'net...

Can higher octane fuels give me more power?

On modern engines with sophisticated engine management systems, the engine can operate efficiently on fuels of a wider range of octane rating, but there remains an optimum octane for the engine under specific driving conditions. Older engines without such systems are more restricted in their choice of fuel, as the engine can not automatically adjust to accommodate lower octane fuel. Because knock is so destructive, owners of older models must use fuel that will not knock under the most demanding conditions they encounter, and must continue to use that fuel, even if they only occasionally require the octane.

If you are already using the proper octane fuel, you will not obtain more power from higher octane fuels. The engine will be already operating at optimum settings, and a higher octane should have no effect on the management system. Your driveability and fuel economy will remain the same. The higher octane fuel costs more, so you are just throwing money away. If you are already using a fuel with an octane rating slightly below the optimum, then using a higher octane fuel will cause the engine management system to move to the optimum settings, possibly resulting in both increased power and improved fuel economy. You may be able to change octanes between seasons (reduce octane in winter) to obtain the most cost-effective fuel without loss of driveability.

Once you have identified the fuel that keeps the engine at optimum settings, there is no advantage in moving to an even higher octane fuel. The manufacturer's recommendation is conservative, so you may be able to carefully reduce the fuel octane. The penalty for getting it badly wrong, and not realising that you have, could be expensive engine damage.

·
Registered
892 Posts
my 2 passions are 4-wheeling and motorcycling...the motorcycling is kinda new but i dont plan on quitting anytime soon. although since i'm not living close to my brother in law who has a restored '76 land cruiser (its a fucking tank!) but right now all i got is my '02 grand cherokee with a budget boost and dueler m/t's, once we stop traveling that grand cherokee's got it comin!

oops forgot to post about the subject, anyway i agree with most that idiots are everywhere, SUVs can just inflick more damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts