Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quest to get the old XX down to 430lbs has begun. I had the Titanium Akra exhaust fitted in Portland this last weekend. My intent was to lose weight and fix the dead midrange. Well, it accomplished both and more. Akra claims a 23 pound weight loss switching to this system. After handling the stock components (those cans must be made of lead!!) and then the Akra pieces I think it's got to be more than that. But since I didn't get a chance to weigh the pieces I'll just have to assume Akra did and they know what they're talking about. The stock jetting was VERY lean. The pipe and revised jetting fixed the dead spot so it pulls strong all the way from the bottom (like an 1100 should!). Oh, and I picked up 12 yes 12HP! It's not just on top either. The HP advantage starts at 4000RPM and goes until the rev limiter. Anyway, I've got the dyno sheets if anyone wants to see them I will scan them and post them. I'll also scan the photos when I finish the roll and get it developed. The Ti can looks so good with the black bike.

The next significant weight loss would have to be wheels but that's some serious $$$$$! The next chapter in this quest may be a while coming.....

Progress: 492lbs now down to 469lbs.

------------------
James

If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?

P

·
0 Posts
Sounds cool James. With 12 extra ponies, that thing has got to be a beast. Does the '97 XX have LBS?

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
pete has a good point there. so long as you're getting wheels, brakes wouldn't be a bad idea too. you can dump the lbs (linked braking system) and lbs (pounds) that go with it. maybe pm could work on a deal with you.

how about some clip-ons? team pro-mo sells clip-ons with c/f bars (i wanna say they're just over 200, e-mail them and they'll send you a price). they aren't expensive for what you get and they should be lighter than the risers i recall the xx having. they use them on their r1 and r6 racers.

change sprockets yet, stock ones are heavy? may wanna go down a size in the chain and sprockets as well, like to 530 or even 520.

you can also look for after market bodywork and sell your stock lights and mirrors and go with some piaa driving lights and some small turn signals. you should be able to sell your stock stuff for enough to cover that bill (if it's perfect).

if you don't carry a passenger, that subframe can be taken in a bit, just leave a place to mount a tail light.

good luck, hope i've helped.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited September 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
938 Posts
Unfortunately, my riding buddy put his 97 blackbird on a crash diet last wednesday :eek:. If you decide to ditch the stock bodywork, let me know. He will begin the rebuilding process pretty soon and will be in search of replacement parts.

------------------
http://gsxr750.sportbikeworld.com

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yoyodyne makes complete sets of Ti replacement fasteners (Bolts) that can save quite a bit of weight if you have the patience to match & replace the stock bolts.
Changing the LBS might also require different front & rear master cylinders, which could get to be kind of expensive, unless you source cyls from a wrecked CBR900 or 600.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
two bros used to sell kits for it, but i doubt you'd save weight.

if you're willing to spend big bucks, you can get ap or pm calipers and rotors with nissan gp master cylinders, or....and they should be lighter.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for all the great info! I was thinking about ditching the LBS but I wasn't sure how to go about it. The LBS itself hasn't bothered me yet but there should be a little weight savings, with some of it being unsprung because of the added caliper complexity, and I desperately want to get some stainless or kevlar lines on it. I got used to the stainless lines on my TL-R and when I first got the bird I thought there was air in the lines. Anyway, the LBS envolves extra master cylinders and quite a bit of extra hydraulic plumbing that needs to go. I also converted my TL-R to 520 chain and aluminum sprockets. I couldn't believe how heavy the stock stuff was when I picked up the box of parts. Do you think a 520 would be OK on the 'Bird? I guess if it's OK for the TL-R's torque it should be alright? Most of the other ideas I hadn't really thought about so I appreciate all of the input. Unfortunately I1aCBR, I probably won't be doing the bodywork soon enought to help out your buddy. I'll look into the ideas you've all given me and keep you posted on how things are going. And Camel, I should have some pictures ready by the end of the week.

PS - Is this OK in Daily Rider or should I continue this in the Honda specific section?

------------------
James

If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?

[This message has been edited by Birdman (edited September 27, 2000).]

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Birdman:

PS - Is this OK in Daily Rider or should I continue this in the Honda specific section?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Birdman, I'll move it over into the "How do I" forum.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.