1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The fawked up thing.....you may already have one in your car and not even know it. I read something a while back, about someone getting in a wreck and they had one of these in their car and did not know.....just say they got fawked in court!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: Re: Black Box for your car/bike?

CruiserErik said:
doubtful these will find their way into motorcycles just yet
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'd be VERY surprised if my '02 Honda didn't record some information. It has FI, so it has a processor working to keep up. Its not a strech of the imagination to also have a chip in there recording. Most MC's speedometers are also electronic. Easy to stick a chip in there to record your speed.

Or, look at BMW's. FI, ABS, etc. I'm sure there are chips in there with some memory.

K

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I know that some of the car rental companies have attemtped to use a "black box" type of device. The would charge the customer more at the return of the rental. Customers fought this and I believe they won. This story was out a while ago, I don't quite remember the whole thing. If I amnot mistaken, the customers won.

These things would track average speed, number brakes were used, if directionals were used while turning and the like. Upon return of the car, depending on the activity uploaded, your bill would reflect that.

I know many companies with fleet vehicles have a device similar to that. They are GPS enabled or done through the cellular phone towers for tracking. Many times it is done without employees who drive the vehicles knowledge.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
DocThee said:
I know many companies with fleet vehicles have a device similar to that. They are GPS enabled or done through the cellular phone towers for tracking. Many times it is done without employees who drive the vehicles knowledge.
Guessing that's more for ppl that are paid by the mile as opposed to paid hourly:laughing: Opposite ends of the spectrum. I still hate the idea that something is unvoluntarily recording our actions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Over_Dose said:
[Bwhats next? [/B]
Well I'm sure the government would like to record all my sexual adventures too, have aliens abduct me, anal probe and implant the black box in me, and then monitor the affects of alcohol on males, and advise me of all the fun f'ckd mistakes I have made, trama/drama I have made to women and vis versa, not to mention my masterbation numbers(pretty high for stamina reasons-I luv Peter North)..........:eek:

Yeah the future sounds great:twofinger

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

lou_brakant said:
Well I'm sure the government would like to record all my sexual adventures too, have aliens abduct me, anal probe and implant the black box in me, and then monitor the affects of alcohol on males, and advise me of all the fun f'ckd mistakes I have made, trama/drama I have made to women and vis versa, not to mention my masterbation numbers(pretty high for stamina reasons-I luv Peter North)..........:eek:

Yeah the future sounds great:twofinger

You want to be anal probed again...you are a sick man...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

Kawie said:
HHmmm I wonder if my truck has one. I've been driving more recklessly trying to get in an accident.
you do realize you can just like trade it in and get a new one...crashing isn't always the best idea.....(sometimes it hurts)....:twofinger

·
Registered
246 Posts

Kawie said:
HHmmm I wonder if my truck has one. I've been driving more recklessly trying to get in an accident.
hehe you're going all out on that insurance money plan :D

As far as the black boxes go, I don't see how that would be possible on carbureated vehicles. Data collection gets difficult on non-fi stuff (you need slitted wheels and pickups on just about everything) - that stuff would be very fragile and impractical.

On the other hand though, motec sells whole data collection kits for the f4i engines and you can add all kinds of pickups for it to measure just about everything (lateral Gs etc).

Either way though, i dont see what would stop me from adding a switch between the battery and the data collection box...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Now you have to speak up about a black box for a person. There is a company I believe one of the Asian areas, that is talking about implanting chips into it's workers. Basically this would be like carrying your access badge around, but it could track everything you fricken do. Time in and out of work, time spent in the shitter, anywhere you moved during the day. I also want to say this was for government workers...might not even be asian.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Black Box for your car/bike?

halik said:
[B

Either way though, i dont see what would stop me from adding a switch between the battery and the data collection box... [/B]
I like this idea, but how would you know where the box is? Wouldn't it be purposely hidden to prevent us from screwing with it or even removing it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts