Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Oh, God, please don't tell me you like the look of that.......that..........that THING??!

That rates highly as one of the ugliest piece of machinery I've ever seen since... :barf2:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
i think there's only 1 word to discribe that bike.......
"Disgraceful" also springs to mind.

I think it's disgraceful that a company allowed resources to be spent on designing and manufacturing it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cookeetree said:
Oh, God, please don't tell me you like the look of that.......that..........that THING??!

That rates highly as one of the ugliest piece of machinery I've ever seen since... :barf2:
HEHE, guilty, looks better than most Buells, which reminds me of plastic Hasbro/Mattel toys. :D

It's meant to be a stipped down hunk of aluminium and not the first for Bimota with an unique front suspension.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
...It's meant to be a stipped down hunk of aluminium and not the first for Bimota with an unique front suspension.
Suspension aside, the rest of its design is horrific, right down to that Mack-truck-looking pipe underneath it. WTF is with that??!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lowers the center of gravity? at that price, Jay Leno doesn't have to think when he's adding to the collection.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
lowers the center of gravity? at that price, Jay Leno doesn't have to think when he's adding to the collection.
If I'm ever THAT rich and THAT stupid at the same time....

.....I give you permission to shoot me! :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

If someone gave me one I wouldn't complain. I remember years ago there was this bizarre guy named Rick Roscetti (something like that) who was the sole American importer of those bikes. Are they still available in this country?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
217 Posts
why would they bring the exhaust forward like that? the exit is in the front of the bike. it seems like that the engine would have to work extra hard in gettin exhaust fumes out (less usuable power then)? whats the point?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I wouldnt be so quick to knock it down. Its 340lbs wet. Thats a solid 80lbs lighter then my zx10. The bike doesnt look like it went thru the depth of design that japanese bikes do, so I believe further lightening is possible. The front suspension is supposed to be superior to the conventional fork arrangement, but HOW DOES IT TURN? am I blind? I cant see a pivot point anywhere.
Look further, the bike doesnt have a frame in the conventional sence. Its got a couple of side plates that simply provide mounting points for 2 subframes. The regidity comes from the engine itself, and you know its not going to flex.
Think whatever you wish about the looks (I'm not crazy about them either) but there are some very advanced concepts on that bike.
I was reading a mag (I think it was BP) which had a simular designed bike build by some guy in the early 90's. Also ugly as sin (also in a different way) but at the time it was faster and lighter than the R1. I'll post something once I find it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently it does turn, check out that review I posted above, the journalists said he braked well into the apex or something w/o worrying about losing the front end.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
I wouldnt be so quick to knock it down. Its 340lbs wet. Thats a solid 80lbs lighter then my zx10...

...HOW DOES IT TURN? am I blind? I cant see a pivot point anywhere.
Mate, I couldn't give a rat's a**e if it weighed 10lbs wet. Honestly, who'd buy seomthing that is THAT pig ugly??? Also, it's got a whole lot less power than your ZX10, less than 100hp.

It turns using hub centre steering. Check this link out to read about it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Thats funny... The bimota webpage claims 340.6 pounts and that includes battery, lubricants, and coolant. The review claims 339 dry... Something is up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One advantage of being older is that you remember when these things first came out.....Bimota used that front end in racing, for a very short time. Seems it is highly susceptible to bump steer, and short of steering feel. It was one of several bad ideas which ultimately caused Bimota to go under

Styling aside, it is an interesting engineering exercise. I wouldn't mind having one, but it could never replace the 12...........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts