Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to go to Myrtle Beach!!! I own a Ford Probe and they had meets down there for the last 10 years, 2007 was the last one before the organizers retired it. I have always wanted to go down there for those meets but never got around to it.

I have read tons of stories about how much of a blast it is at the meets down there. I can only imagin Bike Week would be even more superb. I meant to get down to FL for the Daytona Bike Week but didn't get my truck running in time.

I got my Ducati and my first bike on May 28, 2007. I have 3016 miles on here and just broke the 3k mark the Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather. I am the on call for the week and work paged me so I was stuck where I was 'til I fixed it. I finally started heading home around 1am. I got on the freeway and thought to myself either I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.

I love riding and only regret waiting so long to start. My best friend, Laron, has been riding since he was 5 or so. I would have bought my bike 3 summers ago when me and my friend from work, Shawn, were gonna get one but I didn't have the money. He went and bought an '05 636. I know people say "don't get a Duc for your first bike" but when Laron heard I was lookin he told me "you gotta find your OWN bike not one somebody shows you". I wanted something differnt, something I never saw on the road and I wanted it with either a v twin or v4 cuz I loved the deep sound. Then one day I stumbled across Ducs and fell in love. I had the money now and bought what would make me happy ~ a 2006 749s with 1 mile on the clock that had been sitting in a guys garage since September of 2006. Never even rode it, the dealer put the 1 mile on it during the test ride after assembly. I fell in love with riding shortly thereafter.

So whos goin May 9-18? I will make sure my truck is ready.

·
Registered
798 Posts
\Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather...I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.
Hope you have a good "flame suit"...glad you made it home ok.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got my Ducati and my first bike on May 28, 2007. I have 3016 miles on here and just broke the 3k mark the Friday night when I rode home in 35 degree weather. I am the on call for the week and work paged me so I was stuck where I was 'til I fixed it. I finally started heading home around 1am. I got on the freeway and thought to myself either I can be frozen for a while or be super frozen for a short while. So I punched it and ran it at 140+ most of the way home, I looked down once and saw 156mph. I'm usualy a pussy about goin that fast cuz I don't wanna do anything I'm not ready for but I was so cold and said to myself screw it.
A ducati for the first bike? Nice. Doing 140+ mph on cold tires? Not so nice, down right dangerous, but untimately its your life, its your skin! Not flaming on my part.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would love to go to Myrtle Beach!!! I own a Ford Probe and they had meets down there for the last 10 years, 2007 was the last one before the organizers retired it. I have always wanted to go down there for those meets but never got around to it.

I have read tons of stories about how much of a blast it is at the meets down there. I can only imagin Bike Week would be even more superb. I meant to get down to FL for the Daytona Bike Week but didn't get my truck running in time.

I love riding and only regret waiting so long to start. My best friend, Laron, has been riding since he was 5 or so. I would have bought my bike 3 summers ago when me and my friend from work, Shawn, were gonna get one but I didn't have the money. He went and bought an '05 636. I know people say "don't get a Duc for your first bike" but when Laron heard I was lookin he told me "you gotta find your OWN bike not one somebody shows you". I wanted something differnt, something I never saw on the road and I wanted it with either a v twin or v4 cuz I loved the deep sound. Then one day I stumbled across Ducs and fell in love. I had the money now and bought what would make me happy ~ a 2006 749s with 1 mile on the clock that had been sitting in a guys garage since September of 2006. Never even rode it, the dealer put the 1 mile on it during the test ride after assembly. I fell in love with riding shortly thereafter.

So whos goin May 9-18? I will make sure my truck is ready.

What no Youtube video? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hope you have a good "flame suit"...glad you made it home ok.
Now where did I put my blowtorch.

Please tell me you have full coverage on that bike.

I really don't recommend going that fast on the street, however, I had to learn the hard way and it was horendous. I hope the same doesn't happen to you. Keep it rubberside down.

100+mph crash on your head along with a broken colarbone and roadrash. This all happened on cold tires. Adrenaline can get the best of you. Maybe keep those speeds for the track.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what I did was pretty dumb I was just so cold and wanted to get home ASAP. I did go about 4 miles or so down 94W from Michigan Ave at about 85-90 first. It was when I was entering 23S from 94 that I started freezing my nutz off and hit it. I don't know exactly how long it takes for tires to heat up. I have the Michlin Pilots which I thought were 0 temp tires or I could be wrong? So if the tire is cold I know you have less traction but what else would happen? explodes?

At any rate the post started off being about Bike Week and then I just started rambeling sorry.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I know what I did was pretty dumb I was just so cold and wanted to get home ASAP. I did go about 4 miles or so down 94W from Michigan Ave at about 85-90 first. It was when I was entering 23S from 94 that I started freezing my nutz off and hit it. I don't know exactly how long it takes for tires to heat up. I have the Michlin Pilots which I thought were 0 temp tires or I could be wrong? So if the tire is cold I know you have less traction but what else would happen? explodes?

At any rate the post started off being about Bike Week and then I just started rambeling sorry.

Cold tires will not explode. The problem with "no heat" on your tires is "no grip". Sure you don’t need that much grip to go fast on the freeway. The problem comes when an you have to call on that grip to save yourself from an unfortunately situation. Potholes, objects on the road, other vehicles, can create those situations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, that's what I figured you guys were talkin about. I remember yamagirl telling me about her close call right after she bought her gixxer at Busters in December...good thing luck was on her side.

So about how long does it take to warm up tires? Or will they never really warm up enough in 30 degree weather?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok, that's what I figured you guys were talkin about. I remember yamagirl telling me about her close call right after she bought her gixxer at Busters in December...good thing luck was on her side.

So about how long does it take to warm up tires? Or will they never really warm up enough in 30 degree weather?
At 30 degrees, I don't think tires warm up at all. During riding season... 60 degrees and above, I give about 5-10 miles of riding before I consider my tires hot and ready for full lean. I also try my brakes hard while I have control of my riding situation. Test out the grip, just like you do on icy roads. But that is just me, I am one of the ones who have fallen... I learned to value my skin...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Just yankin yer chain bro. We just like everyone to be safe, especially when the pavement is still cold, wet, and covered with salt. I personally have never been to Bike Week, Myrtle or Daytona. I have been to both for Spring Break, but never Bike Week. If you go, take lots of pics.

Jon

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just yankin yer chain bro. We just like everyone to be safe, especially when the pavement is still cold, wet, and covered with salt. I personally have never been to Bike Week, Myrtle or Daytona. I have been to both for Spring Break, but never Bike Week. If you go, take lots of pics.

Jon

I am not yanking anyones chain here. I am trying to scare the piss out of him.:D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am not yanking anyones chain here. I am trying to scare the piss out of him.:D

SORRY! correction, I was yankin yer chain. YAMAGIRL, was trying to scare the piss out of you.

Better Jane???

Jeez, yer such a drama queen. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
going straight down the highway - I don't see the significance of tire temp. :confused:

It sounds like he's excited about the new bike experience. Can't knock him for that. :) Congrats for having the desire/ballz to ride in freezing temps. I'm not up for that anymore BUT I think I road my 1st bike when I was 22yo for 3days straight with little or no sleep......and it wasn't a shiny red Ducati either. ;)

A few things to point out however-
-I'd be a little nervous about ice and slippery conditions. Not as forgiving on a bike as in your Probe.
-salt is slippery and damaging to expensive metal parts on your Duc
-little dips in the road that are imperceptable at normal speeds can be a big issue north of 120. Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes: Nothing like a little headshake at 120mph to make you think twice.
-unless you're a very likeable guy, the police will arrest you at those speeds!
- going to a track day might be a better use of your time/$$ than a trip to Myrtle Beach. STT always has trackdays at Grattan the 1st weekend of May

Have fun! Congrats on your bike purchase!

mb.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Now where did I put my blowtorch.

Please tell me you have full coverage on that bike.

I really don't recommend going that fast on the street, however, I had to learn the hard way and it was horendous. I hope the same doesn't happen to you. Keep it rubberside down.

100+mph crash on your head along with a broken colarbone and roadrash. This all happened on cold tires. Adrenaline can get the best of you. Maybe keep those speeds for the track.

Cold tires.....
LOL...

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I've ridden thru hundreds of miles in 43 degree weather...
An hour or less is just a blip.
half a day or more is a friggn pain in the ass....with.....cold riding gear!
Factor in rain at the same temps and half a day or more....
Dangerous for body temps annnnnnnnnnddd tire grip...
Not fun.

Just say no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts