Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving (in a cage) a few nights ago when this fox lept out in front of my car. Luckily I was paying attention and was able to swerve out of the way while going 45 mph. At those speeds, i felt the G-force effect my body.

Since then I've thought, "If I were on a bike, how would i respond to such a situation?"

And since I do not own a bike yet, I am asking you guys.. what would you do? Would you continue straight and hope the poor animal leaps out of the way, or would you swerve, risking the chances of flipping over and hurting yourself

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Raichu said:
I was driving (in a cage) a few nights ago when this fox lept out in front of my car. Luckily I was paying attention and was able to swerve out of the way while going 45 mph. At those speeds, i felt the G-force effect my body.

Since then I've thought, "If I were on a bike, how would i respond to such a situation?"

And since I do not own a bike yet, I am asking you guys.. what would you do? Would you continue straight and hope the poor animal leaps out of the way, or would you swerve, risking the chances of flipping over and hurting yourself
Mate, if you're in your cage, don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer. No sense losing your life to save that of an animal!

The common rule on a bike is that, if it would fit on your dinner plate, run over it.

Also, don't get caught out target fixating on the animal. Look for the exit, not the target. :thumb:

·
Registered
268 Posts
My girlfriend will swerve for a flying bird in front of her car..... But then again she has that estrogen stuff flowing in her. I have cookee's attitude, if I can avoid safely I am happy to save the animal, but at the cost of the car or my safety, THE ANIMAL WILL GET MESSED UP!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: bike vs animals?

cookeetree said:
Mate, if you're in your cage, don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer. No sense losing your life to save that of an animal!
I made sure I wouldnt swerve into anyone. I was the only one on the road at the time (1 am on a weekday)

·
Registered
41 Posts
don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer.

Yum, venison. we're told in Wi. NOT to swerve at all. You have more of a chance of getting injured by hitting a tree or pole, or worse, another vehicle by swerving than just hitting the animal. I've also heard of people not getting their vehicle paid for by the insurance Co. because they deviated from the road. Now on a bike.... I'm damn sure gonna try to miss the deer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard of people hitting dear on bikes at 65mph+ and the bike stayed upright. I seen the deer hair in the head light.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I'd like to edit my comment. Was written too early in the morning to be thinking clearly. ;)

If you can do so SAFELY, try to avoid hitting animals that will damage you, your bike or your car. No different to trying to avoid another vehicle really.

If you can't do it safely, run 'em all down!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you can't do it safely, run 'em all down! [/B]

Unless it is a moose. If it is a moose and the only choices are the moose or a bunch of trees, I think I will lay the bike down and pray the my gear dose what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Re: bike vs animals?

cookeetree said:

The common rule on a bike is that, if it would fit on your dinner plate, run over it.

Also, don't get caught out target fixating on the animal. Look for the exit, not the target. :thumb:
Don't swerve unless you're 110% sure you can get away with it. Not long ago i read a story where a woman swerved to miss something small (cat or something), went into the other lane, killed herself, the people in her car, and everyone in the other car. If you're in a car, just take you $4,000 damage bill and suck it up. I honestly can't give an opinion on the bike. I'd probably try to dodge a small animal, and just duck down and pray for if it's a deer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are riding your bike and hit a deer, I want you to think how much worse it could be if you were riding the deer and hit a bike... Don't ride deer. :D
Really though anything smaller than a deer I would probably try to avoid it in my own lane, deer I would probably tuck and pray. anything bigger I would lay it down and hope I make it under.

[EDIT] just want to point out that if stopping is an option I would definitely be doing that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Deer are a bit more intimidating then they seem. I was hit by a deer (deer to the side of the bike) last month. Insurance totaled my bike. I'm okay, gear was destroyed by my rolling down the road.

For deer I try to stop, not swerve. They do some random stuff. Per my MSF instructor, if its lower then your axle go over it.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Hound said:
...I was hit by a deer (deer to the side of the bike) last month. Insurance totaled my bike. I'm okay, gear was destroyed by my rolling down the road...
Glad to hear you were geared-up! Another story highlighting the need to wear it. Hope you're back on the road soon. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
With 61 yrs of experience I can tell you anything the size of a deer or larger I will try to avoid, but smaller & I will hit it. Taken many a local dog & cat to its's last days in life & not bothered me for in two cases I tried to avoid the dog or two to a cat ending up on my ear with some skin missing, bruises to damages bikes.

I will bet the the Yamah FZ6 that managed to stay upright suffered damages to the bike. I saw another one of a chap that hit & ripped open the shit bag of a deer & was amazed at all the crap on his bike. So much damage to his bike that he had to replace the petrol tank, th complete nose piece of his fairing, lights, the front mudguard, the rad, one mirror & one signal switch plus damage to one side panel where the signal light was smasked back by a leg or something. Actually enough damage that once he had the bike in saleable shape he sold the one year old bike for a new one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts