Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I talked to my insurance company today and they are going to total the bike. The damage exceeds the value.:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: I was impressed that they allowed for the aftermarket stuff I have on the bike. None-the-less...my baby is gone.

They will allow me to buy the bike back, but it is uninsurable. According to them it is illegal to have that bike on the road....can you say track. But that makes no friggin' difference, I want my baby!

Either way, it is still a bad deal. :finger: :finger: My baby is gone.

Can anyone offer input on how to TRY to get the VIN number off the salvage/scrap status? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
So what happened to your buddy paying for it...now you have a claim...a totall loss nonetheless...because of someone else.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
DocThee said:
Well, I talked to my insurance company today and they are going to total the bike. The damage exceeds the value.:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: I was impressed that they allowed for the aftermarket stuff I have on the bike. None-the-less...my baby is gone.

They will allow me to buy the bike back, but it is uninsurable. According to them it is illegal to have that bike on the road....can you say track. But that makes no friggin' difference, I want my baby!

Either way, it is still a bad deal. :finger: :finger: My baby is gone.

Can anyone offer input on how to TRY to get the VIN number off the salvage/scrap status? Is that even possible?
My insurance said when I totaled my bike that they would only allow us to put it on minimum coverage unless they had someone inspect it after I had re-assembled it. Needless to say, it's still on minimum coverage. I would ask them the exact details of how everything works etc... What's your insurance company anyways, surely you can work with salvaged titles etc....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Doc,

I won't swear to this, but once the repairs have been made the bike needs to be inspected and certified that it is ok and the DMV will issue a rebuilt title for the bike.

Check with the Ducati dealer on this.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Talk to Eunice, she's done this a couple of times I think.

·
Registered
424 Posts
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: Say it isn't so.:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Judge said:
So what happened to your buddy paying for it...now you have a claim...a totall loss nonetheless...because of someone else.
Yeah, he will pay. I felt that it didn't make sense for him to pay the full amount of the damage. I have insurance for a reason, I'll take the claim and his money, then buy a shiney new bike. He will pay a portion of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
still makes me sick to my stomach (or maybe im just hungry) that someone could be so dumb to jump on your bike and ride it.

in any case, it usually all works out in the end. you will have a shiny new bike.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Duc for the track, and 999 for the street ....... this might work out ok after all :drool: ;)

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just called Michigan Secretary of State, on the phone for 22 minutes trying to find an answer for the title issue. Looks like I will just buy it anyway and use it at the track. Not my ideal track bike, kind of opposite 900SS for the track and a superbike for the street.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
494 Posts
See there's always a bright side. You said you wanted a track bike.. you were just kinda forced into it. But it'll all work out. I am really sorry to hear about your bike though.. I know you LOVED it. :(

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Hey anthony... it can be done... I have full coverage on my 929 and I had to buy it back with the salvage title from the Insurance company and go through alot of red tape and an inspection at the SHeriffs' department to get the rebuilt title.. but it is possible... and if you are getting it repaired by a dealership where everything is new and you'll have one receipt to show for it ...it'll be a cake walk for you... all they are really trying to do is crack down on stolen parts being purchased for rebuilding salvaged bikes... and you have to provide VIN #'s of all the bikes your parts came from as well as original reciepts... but if it's new replacement or a business doing the repairs you aint' got to worry...

pm me if you want more info... .trust me it can be done and you can have full coverage again :thumb:

the forms are provided by the SOS office but they get turned in to the Sheriffs Dept where you get it inspected for them to process them....

E.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doc,

Sorry about your luck man. It's a pretty crappy deal no matter how you cut it though. Good luck with everything and maybe in the end you can have it both ways! The question now becomes, what do you replace it with???? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

Justin

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Keep every single receipt no matter how small the part....buy nothing that you cannot prove that it is legit.....

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
If you are buying used parts... RECEIPTS ALONE are NOT good enough... you HAVE TO HAVE the VIN # from the bike that used part came off of.... even if purchased from a retailer or salvage yard (which salvage yards have to have on record anyways...)

you are not just trying to prove you did not steel the part you are also trying to prove you didnt' buy a stolen part :rolleyes:

TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
DocThee said:
My thoughts exactly!!!!!
sweet bro. I get to drive a new 999!
cant wait, when do we pick it up?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts