Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well friends, as i'm sure many of you have experienced this, i got hit for the first time. Was sitting at a red light and got rear-ended by some idiot not paying any attention in his piece of shit sedan. It's so frustrating that there are so many people out there that are just retarded on the road. The bike is on its way to the shop tomorrow to assess the damage, but from what I see (and i'm no mechanic by any means) I'd say it's done for.

It looks like the frame got bent and if that's the case, I don't think I want to ever get back on it, which is why i say its done for. The guy that hit me wants to settle out of pocket, so hopefully a nice fat check is coming my way.

It was a 99 GSXR 750. When this all gets settled, if I do end up picking up a new bike this summer, I'm looking towards honda. I've always felt real comfortable with anything made by honda. I'd also like to get on a yamaha R6 too just to try it out.

Not really sure where i'm going with this, fellas. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Stories to add? whatev

I'll try and get some photos of the wreckage up if anyone's interested to see. later all

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Oh, man, that sucks. Sorry to hear. Did you receive any damage yourself? Anything worth chasing him for???

Here's cheers to you getting back on the road soon with a new set of wheels. :cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Damn dude glad you're alright. That ass better cut you one nice check. Where was your accident? I used to live near Solon before I moved here.

I'm always afraid the same thing will happen to me out here where I've never seen such stupid people driving cars, except, like, Chicago. I always stay in gear and leave a little room between me and the person in front so I can move if someone is coming up fast. No one else I ride with does that, but ah well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its always bad seeing something like this when it was not your fault. No matter how much experience you have on a bike, things like this are hard to avoid. In Minnesota we are taught to watch our rear view mirrors (side mirrors will work!) when we stop in the winter.... To try to avoid this same occurance.

Since your already thinking about a new bike, you seem pretty confident about getting a new bike. <-- Thats a good thing.

Best of luck with the nice check coming.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay!
Too bad about the bike, but at least the guy is going to cut you a nice (hopefully large:p ) cheque.

Why not throw some pics up of the damage?

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hell of a loss, but you came out of it okay & you have him by the short hairs. I am sure the insurance people will write it off & with a bit more you can latch onto an '07. I have been rear ended by so many cages that I would hate to count & in my cases they went on meaning "hit & run" incidents or did not carry insurance. so all my costs.

Hope you do not meet up with those that INTENTIALLY run you off the road & to them that is funny to see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couple pics

Here's just a couple pictures of the damage if anyone cares to see.

EDIT: alright i guess i don't know how to attach pics. i tried looking for another forum to explain it real quick but didn't find one. yea yea i know, i suck. little help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HELP

Latest Update:

I just called the bike shop (Suzuki Northwest of Hilliard OH) for the 2nd time now, and they STILL have not even touched my bike. It has been there since the 19th I think. This is incredibly frustrating, as I have now been without the bike for a few days short of a full month. I feel like they are just putting my bike to the side until they get a break in "real" paying customers.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? I feel like there is nothing I can do but wait for them to get around to it. I have called them twice now, and they won't give me a ballpark date of when they'll finish it by each time. Is there anything I can do!? I'd be fine with them just calling it totalled and being done with it so I can at least get on something else before the season is completely gone. I desperately just want to get back on the road!

HELP!

·
Registered
67 Posts
contact the guy that hit you. tell him you're tired of not having your bike. tell him he needs to get a hold of the shop and get it taken care of or you'll have to contact his insurance company. if that means he has to pay them a little extra, then that's his problem. the burden should be on him, not you.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: couple pics

BMXnasty said:
Here's just a couple pictures of the damage if anyone cares to see.

EDIT: alright i guess i don't know how to attach pics. i tried looking for another forum to explain it real quick but didn't find one. yea yea i know, i suck. little help?
To attach a pic:

• open the "type post" box (reply, new thread, whatever).
  • Type your post. Must have at least one character in it.
  • Scroll down to the "attach file" section. Click Browse.
  • Find the file and attach it.
  • Hit Submit.
You can only attach one pic at a time. For multiples, you need to use Photobucket, Imageshack or similar. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i guess a little explanation of my thought process might make it a bit more clear.

if you would have turned it in to his insurance, it would be a done deal. he is at fault, he should be taking care of all of this. tell him where it is, tell him it's been too long. tell him, and the shop, if they can't get to it in the next two days, you'll pick the bike up and take it where ever he wants to make arrangements. give him a very short timeline or he'll drag it along. if none of this works, tell him you're going to cantact his insurance company and tell them where the bike is.

best case scenario, the shop will not want to lose the business and get right on it. if the shop can't get to it and want to charge you storage fees, have him pay them. his insurance would. if he refuses, contact his insurance.

you're going to have to get a little firm with all the parties involved, but things will happen if you want them to. his insurance can't ignore it.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I sure hope this got reported to the police or you have witnesses at the very least. Otherwise you're going on his good faith that he's going to pay for the repairs. After all, otherwise it would be your word against his, wouldn't it?

I did go on good faith once and it worked out ok but in hindsight will never do that again. In fact, just as with you, it was a rear-ending but I saw him coming and markedly reduced the damage.

Pointer for others: When at any stoplight, watch that rearview mirror unless there's already a car/truck stopped behind you. With your bike in gear, if you can see they won't be able to stop, at least you can take some evasive actions :2cents:

PS: Very glad you got away generally unscathed :thumbs2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally

Good news boys

Well thanks for the couple of you who offered some ideas. I ended up sending a tow truck over to Suzuki Northwest (the original shop it was at) and got it towed over to Hinds Motorsports, for those of you familiar with cbus. They ended up calling me about 2 hours later (compared with the 2 weeks of the first place). Lady called me up, said bad news, this thing is done for. I'm like sweetheart, that's the best news I've heard all day. Since then it's been smooth sailing.

The check for the totalled bike is in the mail. They're sending me $4550 for the bike, which is like 2 grand more than I paid for it if I remember correctly. :cheers: They've also got 2 checks in the mail to pay for the towing expenses. And also, the lady I've been dealing with from his insurance company told me that if I buy another bike in the next 30 days, I get reimbursed for the sales tax and all that...nice!

So I've been searching for weeks now, and I think I've found a replacement. I'm looking at a 2000 R6 in the area. After talking the guy down a couple bills already, I'll have enough money from the insurance co. to buy the bike, with plenty left over. The leftover cash will most likely be used for a brand new helmet and maybe new leather, with enough to cover next year's insurance too. My current gear isn't exactly up to par these days.

So that's my story, glad it's finally coming to an end. I came out with a newer more valuable bike, new gear, and some spending money. It was a headache and a half, but I've learned an incredibly valuable lesson of watching those mirrors at ALL times, and that you're never really safe, even sitting at a stop light. Oh and to the asshole who hit me...thanks for the new shit...but F*CK YOU!!! :finger:

I'll post up some pics if I do end up getting that R6. Later guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yo osurider. send me a number or something and we'll go ridin. went and looked at the bike this afternoon and it's looking like i might get it. most likely will be back on the street by next week.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: finally

Awesome news, mate! :thumbs2:

Shame you don't have the address of the guy who hit you; you could've sent him a card to say thanks for the new bike and gear and offer your sympathy for this increase in his insurance! :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow that sucks. I've been rear ended at a red light just minding my own business by a Dodge Ram 1500. Ended up getting a new Slip on out of it.

Good to hear you're not messed up because of some fuck-tard's decision to not pay attention.

Good luck with the new bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts