Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend bought a 1999 gsx-r 750 a year ago from some guy he knew through a friend. Both of which didnt care about registering it, since they always ran from the cops. Its had 3 owners. original owner -> guy -> my friend.

Its registered to the original owner still, in new jersey. The original owner used to live here when my friend bought it, but now he has moved and my friend cant get ahold of him. Since then my friend has been arrested, and the bike wasnt registered or stolen or anything incase your wondering. The impound released it to him. So they have some proof that it is my friends bike.

Since its registered in another state, my friend cant get a new title made since he doesnt have the original copy from NJ. He has no bill of sale, he paid cash. Hes an idiot he says (typing this out while he talks). What can he do to get a title or anything that can proves its his. Theres gotta be someone out there who has been in this same position who should know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you guys know anyone who is in the used car business? Without getting into it here, most guys can get the vehicles retitled. Go talk to some used car dealers.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Sounds like the world would be better off without this guy on the road... :squid:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
better off without him? how so? Because he got arrested for failure to register a vehicle? Please dont respond unless you have something positive or helpful to say, thanks.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
SoBe said:
better off without him?...
Actually, if you read my post, I said, "...better off without this guy on the road."

Anyone who doesn't register their bike so that they can't be traced when they've run from the cops doesn't deserve to use the roads. :2cents:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had the same problem trying to buy a 'not stolen' bike without a title. I never did though, because of all the paper work required.

Go to 'whatever state you live in' DMV homepage. There should be a link to eihter how to register a vehicle, the types of titles, or a glossary terms. here you can find legitimate info on if it's possible.

I think these are your choices:

-Have the bike checked by DMV and get a salvage title.

-have the bike checked by DMV and get a Bond title.

-Get the paperwork from the DMV, contact an attorney, and then go as far back as possible contacting previous owners with the help of the attorney. You may then get a 'power of attorney' title.
This option will be the most legitimate, but also the most work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts