Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm still numb... Some pos lowlife stole my childhood dream.

On Nov 17th 2003, I was finally able to purchase a brand new 04' Yamaha R6 after many years of anticipation. This was the first bike I have could ever say was "mine". This was not only one of the happiest days of my life but looking back on it now.. was probably the most ignorant day of my life up to this point. I feel betrayed by the dealership, disrespected by my finance company, and a little violated by society. I cant even look at my neighbors anymore without thinking they could have been involved.

Maybe I am gullible, a young punk kid, or just someone blinded by the fact that was finally able to purchase something significant with my own cash flow. Something I have earned with my own hands. But in one fail swoop, I have a $13,000 debt and no bike. Some people will think I am an idiot for not getting insurance but people should have the right to be informed.

When I purchased the bike from Broward Motorsport they never even mentioned insurance. When I specifically asked the sales manager about insurance, while signing the final paperwork, he said "Its not required". I assumed the finance company, Household Retail Services, insured the loan since they were the actual title holder. But it appears they changed policy last year and no longer insure loans under 10k(my total due is $11,610). Supposedly in 2002 they insured all loans over $5,000. I guess meeting quota in a rough economy supersedes protecting their customers. They really should be requiring customers to purchase at least liability, but I guess they are too busy slashing overhead such as insurance policies (which they insure themselves).

At the time of purchase, the only thing I was concerned about was getting into an accident. But I am very safe on the road. And felt confident that it could wait a few weeks. Not to mention I was tapped out financially for at least 3 weeks. The irony is that I was going to purchase insurance 2 days after it was stolen, on payday. Hindsight is 20/20, if I knew then what I know now.. I would have bought full coverage on a credit card.

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! SCREW THE DEALER! DONT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT INSURANCE!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec 3rd 2003, between 2am and 10am my brand new 2004 r6 was stolen in front of my apartment in plain view, in a gated complex. Under a light even, almost the same spot in the pictures.. less that 40 feet from my doorstep. The bike was locked with a new Xena XE12 disc lock w/alarm. Which was obviously not dismantled, as there were no metal shavings. The lock was either picked, someone had a key, or the bike was simply lifted into a vehicle (bike weighs 350 pounds). I feel that I was specifically targeted after a ride home from work, or someone tipped them off to a new bike in the area. There are many cruisers in my complex worth triple the value.

There is only one unique identifying mark:
The right frame slider goes through the right side fairing, a hole was dremeled.
(noted in picture)

Make/Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Color: Red/Black
VIN# JYARJ06E84A011024
Temp Tag# H-759803
Miles on odometer at time of theft: 980

I am offering a $2500 reward for information leading to the recovery. I'd go another $13,000 into debt to see that the persons responsible get what they deserve.

After all was said and done this is what I have learned:
The dealer gets you in and out the door as fast as possible. And the finance
company does not require the bike to be insured. Its a formula for disaster.
$2500 Reward for information leading to the recovery. No questions asked.

-Red 2004 Yamaha R6, Purchased on November 17th(2 weeks ago).
-Stolen between 2am-9am on December 3rd, from the Welleby Lake Club in Sunrise, Florida.
NEW BIKE OWNERS/POTENTIAL BIKE OWNER:

DO NOT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT INSURANCE!!! Even if the dealer tells you its not required.

Facts I have learn from my bad situation:
-Insurance is the only way to protect yourself if your bike is stolen.
-Bike locks and alarms are a joke, and a false sense of security.
-A safe community will not help, if your bike is outside your at risk.
-The dealer does not care about you, they just want to make a sale.
-The finance company does not care about you, they just want to make money.

If anyone had any info please email/icq/call me:
[email protected]
icq# 13970998
954-224-9925

Also, if anyone has been through a similar experience, or thinks I may have a legal case please let me know.

Don't let this happen to you. Get lo jack or park it inside.

If you want an honest dealer ask them about their insurance recommendations. And ask your finance company if they insure their loans even if you do have insurance, its your last line of defense.

Fort Lauderdale area bikers beware!!!!!!!!

The bike was stolen where the red car is sitting in the pic(to the left):
http://nte.reliablehosting.com/johns_stolen_r6/johns_stolen_r6.jpg

A big :finger: to the a$$hole that robbed me.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
F***ing Thieves....

I know exactly how you feel, my wife and I had a 2000 F4 stolen on New Year's Eve last year. Bike was covered, cable locked, and pinned up against a brick wall by our truck, and they still got it.

Sorry to hear your story. The thing that absolutely amazes me is that insurance was not required. I've bought bikes in Indiana and California, and the dealer wouldn't even let me sign the paperwork without showing proof of full coverage insurance, much less let me ride it off the lot. The full coverage insurance was only required because of the lien holder (I financed both of them) I believe, but even if I'd have gone in and paid cash I thought proof of insurance was required as it is illegal to drive any vehicle on the road without it. Perhaps the laws in Florida are different though. I'd say do some research on insurance requirements, maybe the dealer was in the wrong for letting you take it before showing proof of insurance. It's grabbing at straws, but it's worth a look.

Hope you get your baby back...we never got ours. :(

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I'll make this thread stick here and see about getting it in the Daily Rider Forum also, as there is more traffic there.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i hope you find the guilty party riding it. :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I really appreciate it. If it wasn't for everyone being so nice, I would probably turn my back on the sportbike community in general. Tho I have had a pulse for sportbikes since I was a kid.. and it wont fade.

:( I miss her so much, its the kinda shit that makes a grown man cry (well, a responsible 22yr old grown man).

I'll be making payments until January 2010. Hopefully its recovered, but my thoughts are its a pro and I will never see her again. Guess im not being too positive, but thats just bitterness in my crackling voice.

Can someone link the daily rider forum? I can't seem to find it on google.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
The Daily Rider Forum is another forum on this website. You posted in the Florida Forum. I've already copied it to Daily Rider. :thumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to here about your loss , hope you catch the prick's that took it .:cussing; :cussing; :cussing;

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
33351john said:
I'll be making payments until January 2010. Hopefully its recovered, but my thoughts are its a pro and I will never see her again.
PLEASE tell us you were insured for theft, especially since it was financed.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Kinda scary since I`ll be comming down to Florida within the next two weeks, I`ll be in Daytona, but it still makes me paranoid. And I`m trying not to sound dickish, since I know if fuckin sucks to get something stolen, especially something like that, but you paid $11k for an r6?

Good luck getting it recovered. My advice would be, if you havn`t already, talk to the aparment complex owner and ask if they have any cameras set up that might have seen them, or, its a long shot since you`re in a gated complex, but if the apartment doesn`t have cameras, there could be a gas station near by that had a camera scanning the pumps and hit your lot. Its worth a shot.

Good luck again man.

edit: I posted a link to this thread on the Exhibition of Speed, Fl, forum to try and get the word out. http://pub113.ezboard.com/fjustwheels51970frm24.showMessage?topicID=812.topic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea man, chain her to your leg. It seems, from what I have been reading, the thefts are an epidemic down here. Esp new sportbikes. There are several cruisers in my complex that are worth way more than the stock r6.

I paid just under msrp, $11.6k is the total amount financed including the interest.

I already checked that out, no camera's on the property at all. And no gas stations nearby really. Nothing that would have view of my complex.

Thanks, any help will be very much appreciated.

I am going to pass out flyers at the biker bast this weekend. I hope the a$$hole is riding it around.. Cuz if so I will get some satisfaction (after confirming the vin and calling the police).

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
I think that's the point he's trying to make, Monkey.... That he didn't have theft insurance.
yeah, as i re-read it i see that. don't know how i could ever have missed that though.

Again, i'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I really wish you the best and i sincerly hope your bike is found WITH the individual that stole it. in my experiences and in talking to local law enforcement up here in MA, most bikes are found within a square mile from where they were stolen. don't be afraid to take a drive around and look in bushes, small patches of woods, etc... it is possible that whoever took it couldn't get it started and dumped it nearby.

i would add more but i don't want to ad insult to misery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening? i'm always afraid someone will steal my bike. i only have a bike lock to chain it to a big poll or something. i know ppl can cut through it.. it's just a deturrant i guess.

i'm guessing your bike just got thrown into the back of a truck, you only need 2 ppl for that.

man i'm sorry that happened to you. i kinda know the feeling, i have had my truck broken into a few times.

:finger: ppl

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Triumph_S4 said:
is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening? i'm always afraid someone will steal my bike. i only have a bike lock to chain it to a big poll or something. i know ppl can cut through it.. it's just a deturrant i guess.

i'm guessing your bike just got thrown into the back of a truck, you only need 2 ppl for that.

man i'm sorry that happened to you. i kinda know the feeling, i have had my truck broken into a few times.

:finger: ppl
Unfortunately it seems that unless you sleep with your bike next to you chained to your leg, if someone wants it bad enough, they are gonna get it. Only takes a couple of people to lift it into a truck.

Rat bastards. :(

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Triumph_S4 said:
is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening?
ride trashy bikes that are old with a ton of scratches and plastic damage. no one will want it then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm having a very hard time understanding how you didn't know you needed insurance:confused: What if you were riding home and ran someone over or were involved in an accident. Not only would your bike have been screwed up, or yourself hurt, but you could have been sued by the person involved in the accident...for way more than you are out of pocket already. On this site I constantly read about others telling new riders to "be responsible" or "use your head" well in my oppinion having insurance on your bike (and if you finance ANYTHING new that drives on public streets you DO need full coverage) is being responsible. It is ultimately the buyers responsiblity to make sure he or she has insurance not the seller. If you were to buy a new bike from the average Joe up the street and didn't have insurance, and the same scenerio happenend would you be pissed at him?? It's not his fault just like it's not the fault of the dealer. Now your the one stuck paying a large bill because A: you didn't have any insurance and B: some assholes stole your bike. I told my wife about your story and she said someone from the dealership probably stole it...basically she feels that someone that knew you didn't have insurance has your bike. Pretty ironic that two days before payday it was taken. I also think it is someone you know. I feel for you because I work hard for my money as i'm sure you do, but you do have to take the blame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would bet its still in your area, go to every bike meet and this I hate to say but also go to the local races for a look.

Bike theft is common in Daytona during bike week , so much so that the cops have a task force just for it.This last summer in Gainesville the cops busted a group driving around with a trailer full of bikes, they were going around to all the appt. complexes getting bikes.

You say your in a gated complex? then betts are its somebody there or a friend who lives there-- seen any scumbags around?

You a local or just move there?

Time is against you so spend every minute you can spare looking, within a month its just a pile of parts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
6th_Gear said:
I'm having a very hard time understanding how you didn't know you needed insurance:confused: .......
In 33351john's defense, it not just the dealer that he dealt with that says you don't need insurance. I was told the same thing by my local dealer ( Powersports of PB/Palm Beach Cycles ) and have even heard them say to prospective buyers that they don't need a license!!!

33351john, I know this is an obvious question but, does your complex just have a gate or is there a Rent-a-cop too??? If it's just a gate I assume it's closed an night and you need a code to get in, right??? You may want to talk to the HOA or who ever runs the place, they should be able to see who came in the gate if it was functioning properly on that night. Do you have any kind of home owners or Renters Insurance??? If so give them a call too!

I'll watch out up here in Palm Beach for ya! Haven't seen ANY Red/white R6's up here so if I see one, I'll take a closer look!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sucks...

First off I feel for ya man. I had a durango stolen from a bran new apt. complex in GA that was gated and had cameras - too bad they were not working yet...

Anyway, you need to speak with a lawyer and here is why. There is no reason in hell that the dealership should have let you take that bike off the lot without insurance. Yes this is your fault also but the fact is that if the laws are even slightly similar to GA then they screwed up big time. You CAN drive off the lot with a used bike under $7,500 without full coverage and many times without insurance at all BUT the big thing hear is that the State could not give a rats ass what the finance company thinks as far as you having insurance or not. The state requires insurance before they will put a tag on your vehicle. Now since you said you had a temp tag Im sure you would have found this out when you tried to register the bike.

Bottom line is that you are old enough to know the value of insurance so dont expect a judge to be too much on your side but the dealership still screwed up by letting you drive the bike off the lot. In GA that could get them in a crap load of trouble and I belive FL is no different. You also need to look into the 30 day grace period. If you have an existing insurance policy for a vehicle I belive they will cover you for 30 days on any new purchases. Check that out becuase I have heard that many times.

And not to make you into a dishonest person BUT I never would have reported it stolen knowing that I did not have insurance. I would have called the insurance company got the bike covered and then reported it stolen a week or so later. I know thats a form of insurance fraud but anything is better than getting stuck with a $13,000 bike loan and no bike.

Good luck man and I hope everything works out.
-B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts