Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Suzuki stand cheap when I bought the bike. It has wheels and holds the swingarm up with flat paddles. I understand the kind which screw into the swingarm might work better? Got it for about $60.

btw, has anybody tried one of those light-duty (on-the-road only) stands which are really just a single metal tube? The end has a bolt which goes into the threads on the right side of the swingarm (opposite the sidestand). Then you lift the bike slightly against the sidestand and the pipe falls into place. The back tire stays lifted by the sidestand, front tire, and this swingarm stand.

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

·
Registered
331 Posts
PIT-BULL PITT BULL PIT BULL PIT BULL PIT BULL PIT BULL PIT BULL - get the point? :D

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to start changing my own tires so I was looking to get a bike stand. Anyone know where to find a decent stand at a good price.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
street-n-comp.com sells hindle unversal rear stands. they're cheap and good. if you want better i'd suggest woodcraft or pit pull.

avoid the white lp universal stands. you'll likely ignore me since they're cheap (as most people have), but you'll regret it the first time you use a good stand.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited July 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
525 Posts
All stands will do the job, just some look better and some have a neater name. I welded my own rear stand for $10, the leverage point is not exact but it works fine. I got a used LP stand for the front which works fine, but want I really want is Woodcraft front stand so I can take off my forks effortlessly, I think it cost 160. Now don't be fooled by one stand costing $120 being better than a stand for $70, because my $10 stand does just as good. IMO the best stands are the ones that you can use by yourself; lifting and letting down bike with no ones assistance. Good luck

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yo, Trevor,

A $10 stand, that's cool. Just curious though, how much time went into developing the welding skill so you're comfortable putting your $8k bike up on your stand? And how much did the welding equipment cost?

Inquiring (and obnoxious) minds want to know!

:p

BD

------------------
"It came to pass..."

·
Registered
525 Posts
I took measurements off a LP stand, which I borrowed from the owner of Competition Werkes. I drew it up on Autocad at my college, and bugged the welding instructor until he let me make it. I think it took two weeks to make, but I only worked on it 3 hours a week. The hardest part was using the plasma cutter to make the "Y" which slips under the spools(buttons). I've been taking welding, autocad, machine shop classes all through high school and college. So if you add up school tuition, cost of machines, and material ($10) it comes to around $7426.85.. maybe not best deal.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i rather do it myself with both my hindle stand and the pit bull spool and front lift stands. if you buy a cheesy stand, i recommend someone helping you out

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You should be able to do it yourself with any stand. I am a fool who bought the lockhart Phillips stand and the thing is flat out falling apart. I still trust the bike on it, but someday I will probably pay for being cheap. GET A PIT BULL STAND! I know you won't regret it.

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyjr:
What type of swingarm stand requires 2 people to lift the bike????I'm confused....Jimmy G

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those stands which are used in conjunction with the fact that your hot neighbor happens to be out in her yard tanning. ;)

------------------
"You sure do love animals, don't you?"

"When it's cold enough..."

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The Pit Bull is the best stand that I have seen. All that I have used worked fine. :)

If I can take a Raptor off of the stand then remove it from the table while the Hooter girls are 30 feet away then anyone without major hadicaps can take their bike off a stand alone. :p :D

No I'm not gay and one of the girls was a model in a very very small thong. Damn. :eek: Now that is something when you can call a thong very very small and it not be considered redundant. :p

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey, I've never seen the Hooters girls wearing thongs at the track! What gives??? Not that they look bad in those cute little shorts, but come on -- thongs?!

What was the question again... oh yeah. Stands.

Look, a bike stand is a long-time investment. If you get a good one, it'll last for years, and more than likely out-last your bike. So why save 30 or 40 bucks now, for a Lockhart POS that will fall apart in a couple of years.

The most durable, and best designed stand on the market is the Pit Bull. No question.

However, my personal choice is the Works Stand. It's a little more expensive (about $150), but it's very durable, and super lightweight, due to its all-aluminum construction. The factory Yamaha superbike team uses these stands. They can be seen here:
http://www.worksstand.com/

Either way, you can't go wrong. But don't buy a cheap stand! You'll be sorry if you do...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NO NO i'm mean how do you keep the bike from falling over when removing the stand, do you use and assistant to hold the bike up or hold the tail of the bike with one hand and work the stand with the other or have the kickstand down. help please, no i'm not stupid just confused. :confused:

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
A perfect stand would have the perfect leverage point, that way when you drop bike off stand, the tire falls almost directly down. Put one hand on top of tail use other to lift stand. When lifting bike I put hand on top of rear tire, set stand on buttons and Push down; once it starts going up you can use other hand to assist with pushing stand down. Damn I feel like a nerd writing this. I lost my cause, I now will say go for the Pit Bull.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK Pit Bull it will be for me. I am about to buy a rear stand this week for my upcoming oil and filter change. My oil only change was a bitch without the rear stand. So my question would be to spool or not to spool? 00 GSXR600 can accept the spool stand? Do I have to buy a spool kit extra (I saw on the website $19.00 extra) for mine or does the spooled rear come with it? OK I should probably ask about the kit with a dealer hehe anyway should I go spool or not?

------------------

·
Registered
19 Posts
You made a wise choice going with Pitbull stands. I have the spool rear and forklift front and the bike is rock solid while on these stands. I prefer spools since they are inexpensive to replace and you don't get marks on the swingarm. I believe they're more stable as well.

My pitbull stands will definitely outlast any bike I put on them. I balance the bike on two wheels using the passenger seat handles on my Ninja, slide the rear stand under the spools and push the handle down and voila! Front is similar. To take down: Remove front stand to drop front tire to the deck, put kickstand down, balancing the bike, drop the rear wheel to the ground and lean onto stand. I always stand on the kickstand side when installing the rear stand.

If you choose to buy budget stands, it takes only once for your bike to fall off and you'll be left with a big repair bill and your own boot in your ass for being a cheap bastard.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish this post came out a few weeks ago :-(
I just purchased the LP rear stand for 900RR. I have to say I do not see any problems with it. I have no problem getting the bike on or off the stand and it seems pretty damn sturdy. I will inspect it this evening though. Any input as to WHY these are bad stands?

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

1 - 20 of 26 Posts