Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on my first large group ride, 8 riders plus me. It was pretty sweet, mostly twisty and stuff, but we did happen to run through a town and sit at quite a few red lights. My bike gets really hot, the temp gauge was reading over 100ºC however someone said this is normal? As far as that goes I also noticed that when my bike starts to get near 100 it will start idling high. Like at normal tempatures it will idle around 1500 rpm. However once it starts to get hot it idles around 2-3000 rpm. This normal? Last but not least what do you use to lube the throttle cable, it sticks a little.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The high temperature is normal. I believe 240F is around the max temp for the engine, so 212 is well within normal range.
The high idle doesnt sound right, also I've seen it happen before. If I had to guess I'd say your bike is carbed and someone took the heat shield from the carbs off, causing them to overheat.. might be something else tho.

For cables, I like to use chain wax, also I've used wd-40 before, it works, but doesnt last as long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts