Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase my first bike, and I'm looking for some oppinions on what I should get. It has to be a sportbike, and nothing smaller than a 600 (I've ridden quite a bit on a few 600's, and I'm 6'4, 230lbs so I really wouldn't fit on anything smaller anyway). I have about $3000 to spend, what do you guys recomend? Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
i see alot of people recomend the sv650, i personaly have never rode 1 myself, i would still recommend a 500 to start with even though you have rode a 600 before the 500 would be a good bike to start with, with a 500 you would learn alot so when you do upgrade to a bigger bike you will have better skills.

·
Registered
515 Posts
does the 3 grand include gear, insurance and taking the MSF course? If you're dead set on a 600, my suggestion is a honda f2/f3, you may find one in your price range. I wouldn't really recommend getting anything bigger than a 600 for a first bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've actually owned a 94 ex500 before, I bought it after it was in an accident, fixed it, rode it a few times, then sold it. It was just too small for me and I was uncomfortable. So I really am interested in at least a 600. I'm semi responsible, and have some experience (no, I don't think I know it all and can do it all, but I do have the basics down), and some fear as well. But I need to be relatively comfortable. The 3 grand is only for the bike, I own a couple jackets, have many helmets (drag racer) and the 100 bucks for insurance is no big deal. There's not a whole lot in my area, everyone wants too much. I am more than willing to travel, but I don't wanna drive 8 hours to find the bike I'm looking at is a total piece of shit. Anyone know of anything out there? Thanks for the reply's

Ragu

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Have you been out and sat on some 600's???

People can give you their opinion on which bike they think is best but, in the end, you need to find the model bike that "fits" you best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cookeetree said:
Have you been out and sat on some 600's???

People can give you their opinion on which bike they think is best but, in the end, you need to find the model bike that "fits" you best.
Yeah, I rode an early 90's ZX6 quite a bit last summer, and it was a pretty good fit. I don't know what a cbr would feel like or a gsxr but I assume they are about the same.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
big ragu said:
Yeah, I rode an early 90's ZX6 quite a bit last summer, and it was a pretty good fit. I don't know what a cbr would feel like or a gsxr but I assume they are about the same.
Sorry, I totally missed the part in your original post about having ridden 600's before.

The only way to know the difference is to get on them. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think an older Katana 600 is a good beginner bike, although it is a little heavy. That's what I'm learning on right now and think it has more than enough power for a beginner. They're cheap too!:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
owengaff said:
I think an older Katana 600 is a good beginner bike, although it is a little heavy. That's what I'm learning on right now and think it has more than enough power for a beginner. They're cheap too!:thumb:
Cheap is good! You know what my problem is? I'm having a hard time wanting an older bike, because compared to something newer they just don't look as good, or as stylish. But I guess when I drop it, it won't look very stylish either!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ragu, Yeah, I know what you mean about older bikes. My Katana had been dropped on both sides when I bought it, so it already looked like a beater. It runs great though and I got it cheap. Since I was completely new to riding, I wanted something that didn't look that nice because I expected that I was going to drop it. I've dropped it once, the first time I rode it, and I've been good since. I was able to laugh about dropping it though and didn't care what happened because it already had the scratches on it. I don't think I would have felt like that on a nicer looking newer bike though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good call on the Katana.

You can pick them up pretty cheap, more modern looking bike than an EX500, and they're very reliable. Seating position is more comfortable than a modern race-rep, and they've got enough power to get you in trouble, but still more forgiving than a R6, GSXR, ect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been doing a lot of research lately, and I am wondering if might do good by buying an older (early to mid 90's) FZR 600. They are relatively cheap, and after I ride it a bit I could invest in one of the airtech body kits that make it look more like an R1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I hear, an older FZR600 is a good beginner bike too. I've read comparisons between it and the Katana. There are pro's and con's with both, but I see people giving the nod to the Yamaha between the two more often. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Best thing I can tell you to do is to find the bike model you looking for then wait until you find one in your price zone. I knew from day 1 that I wanted a YZF because of the way they tended to fit me. It took me two months of looking and waiting but I found one right at my price. I bought my 97' YZF 750 for $3k. It wasn't a beauty but it runs like a champ which is all ya need for a first bike. You might run to your local gas station and pick up a cycle trader magazine or check cycletrader.com or even Ebay if your willing to get a little more risky with not being able to hear the bike or test ride. Good luck and happy hunting,

Sepias

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Used bike

Yeah, FZR 600's are good used bikes. But given your, um, dimensions, I'll be honest- that bike would really twist you up like a pretzel. Definitely not that comfortable. It really was THE roadracer of it's day.

Honestly, a Kawasaki ZX-6E sounds like the perfect bike for you. It's a bike that is known for it's greater size and comfort level. Also is known for putting down quite a bit of horsepower- about 90 at the rear wheel, still very respectable for this day.

A CBR 600F2/F3 would be another possibility. However, having owned both a ZX-6 and an F2 in the past, I can say that the ZX is definitely the more comfortable of the 2- especially for someone 6'4".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started and am still currently on a 95 fzr 600. It is a great bike, and I got it cheap. It has some rashes on it but if I ever drop it I won't be real pissed. However you are kinda tall and might be cramped on it. Go sit on one thats the only way you'll be able to tell if it's gonna be comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the suggestions, I definitely appreciate it. There tend to be more ninja's out there for sale than any other bikes, so maybe I'll wind up on one of them. There's is almost nothing for sale around me, which makes it hard to sit on different models to see if I am more or less comfortable. I rode a 1990 Ninja 600 (not sure of model, but it had the dual exhaust) quite a bit last year and it was ok, and I'm about 60 pounds lighter than I was then. I hate the fact that I will probably have to buy a bike out of town, just cuz I won't know anything about it and I'll have to travel. Which would suck if it's junk.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The cycle traders usually come with pictures of the bikes so you can atleast get a look at em before you make the drive.

Good luck,
Sepias

1 - 18 of 18 Posts