Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, If ever there were reason to QUIT riding a motorcycle, something like this would be one of them. I have been touting the theory that most all accidents on a motorcycle are avoidable, but this one blows that theory away.

Additionally, I like to tell people to ALWAYS wear a jacket, and lately i had been ignoring that advice myself.

Heres the story.

The bike is 1/2 trashed, im ok.

I went on a ride Saturday with a friend (on a 99 GSXR600) Everything was going great until we were just past a town called Superior, AZ and heading up a mountain pass. Beautiful sweepers, posted at 50-55mph. I estimate i was taking the sweepers at a very conservative 65-70 tops. Not too terribly fast, but somewhat "into it".

As I came around a left sweeper (beautiful road, recently repaved, smooth dark black roadway, new stripes, etc) I began to roll a bit of throttle through the apex. Without any warning, almost instantly, the bike is down, and im surfing at 60mph. This happened instantaneously. No chance to even realize what was happening until after i hit the ground.

I see the bike spinning down (up) the highway on its left side then watch it smash into a guardrail end (compression device on guardrail) I landed on my left leg/butt and slid for a ways before catching levis traction, flipping over and landing on my right shoulder. I continued to slide along the highway and then off into the gravel of a "turn off" area which was adjacent to this stretch if the highway.

I immediately get up. Im ok. But at 65-70mph this was not a minor spill. My friend on the gixxer saw the whole thing happen. Apparently, there was a 200 foot oil spill in the middle of the lane. With the new asphault being black, the oil was virtually invisible. He hit it also and almost lowsided like i did, but as he had seen me go down he had let off the gas considerably. My friend said that if i hadnt of gone down he would have. His back tire broke loose also on the oil, but as he was not accelerating he managed to keep everything rubber side down. Very scary.

I came away very lucky. I am pissed because i was not even riding near my limits and this happend so fast by the time i knew what happened i was sliding at 60mph on my side.

I am VERY lucky. However, i am stupid. I didnt take my own advice. This was yet another unplanned ride and ended up being farther than we expected. I had my AGV Gloves gloves, helmet (also AGV), new levis but no jacket. I knew better, this time my lazyiness bit me. This is the only thing i can "take" from this. My injuries were AMAZINGLY minor for a wreck like this, but if i had had a jacket on i would be in almost perfect shape.

As it is, i have roadrash in a small area on my left calf, i have roadrash on both arms, right arm more than left, and also a bit on my right back/shoulder blade area. I bruised my left thumbnail, but the AGV gloves really held up well. The left thumb of the glove is just barely worn through on top, the rest of the glove on both hands are just heavily scuffed. The Helmet got the typical rear-of-head grinding. Another reason to ALWAYS wear a helmet. Roadrash is a burden, but i like to keep my cranium intact above all else.

Again, it is amazing i walked away from this one with so minor of injuries. I am pretty sure i didnt even go into shock. Ive seen worse, death, many accidnets, etc, so i just got up and said lets get the bike outta the middle of the road. My friend was more concerned with me, but by the time i stopped i pretty much knew i didnt break anything. This could have been deadly. I made the one mistake of not wearing my jacket. I will never forgive myself for that. So now i have wounds to lick (even if they are minor, they ARE a hassle).

I am very upset, not about the bike (i really didnt like it anyway) but about the chances of such a freak accident happening in the first place. This oil was visible on the highway only AFTER we "walked" the scene. There is oil on the left side of both my front and rear tires, so we are pretty sure from this and the fact that the oil ran from before the spot where the bike went down to well after the spot the bike stopped at that the oil was not from my bike. The lowside took less than a second. I was down literally in the blink of and eye.

About the bike.. The left side is rashed. The tank took a direct hit on the guard rail end. The entire tailsection took a direct hit on the guard rail and more or less exploded. Thats it. The entire right hand side (except tail) is pretty much untouched. The frame is untouched. The Muzzy pipe is untouched. The PM wheels are untouched.

I am not sure if it will be totalled, (i am thinking probably not). I DO have full coverage.

We gathered the bike up at the scene, and moved it off the roadway. The bike WAS leaking oil after the crash as the left case cover was ground down. The shift lever and left footpeg are broken off so it was unrideable.

I piggy backed back down the hill on the gixxer (race tail and all) the short (5 min) distance back to town and rented a uhaul (VERY CONVIENIENT)

We headed back up the hill and loaded up the bike before any Highway Patrol arrived. So here i am. I cant say i am wiser, except id be alot better off if i had worn my jacket, (i debated it before hand) I knew better.

Again, this is so very aggravating right now because honestly, this was just so unavoidable. It blows my theory about accidents out of the water and i will never lok at motorcycles in teh same way again, ever.

The chances of hitting an oil slick like this at just the right place and just the right time is just unbelievable. I had stated on SBW that 9 times out of 10 a motorcycle accident is avoidable. Guess this was the "10" I wish , i HONESTLY wish this was due to some stupid mistake on my part. at least i could learn something in the lines of riding from it all. I guess the jacket is the big lesson (a lesson i already knew)

If i get enough from Ins. i will put a down on a new bike perhaps. Not sure yet. There are alot of good $$$ parts on the bike and they are unscathed.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
346 Posts
its.. its like walking up to a roulette table and tossin a five dollar chip onto the table juss as the dealers waves *no more bets*.. and it hits the number your chip landed on............... you win.. i guess this time it was you.. not that your a winner cuz you dropped your bike.. but im sure you see waht i mean.. like you said.. the right place at the right time. and that was you. ya know whats funny, i normally dont wear a jacket on the street crusiing, and this time i juss laid it down on the freeway on ramp, i happen to have it on.. weird the way *coincidences* fall together.. you not having one and you go down, the one time yaknow.. well anyways, happy recovery and safe riding..

p.s. ive learn in the short time ive been riding that new black pavement is great, but moderately used asphalt is better, i guess cuz you can see the ground better and im told it does grip better.. but i know what you mean about the fresh black asphalt, we got stretch out here thasss juss absolutely gorgeous.

peace
the goldenboy JOS F

------------------
Some day, i'll ride like all the famed riders of today.. for i will be the rider of tommorrow.. :D:D, cuz as of today.. i have only three months of riding everyday experience under my n*tS.. :D:D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Bum deal man. I have had close calls for the same thing. Just dumb luck. So what do you want to get if it is totaled? Bet you will be better about wearing the jacket from now on huh?

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spill. I'm glad that you are "relatively" ok. Every once in a rare while (this is a secret, don't tell anyone!) I get a wild nerve and go for a quick (30 mins or less) spin w/o the jacket. It's an HJC. Don't know the "model" but it's thick and heavy as sh*t. 'Smatter o fact, if it's above 70 outside, you sweat like a pig even at highway speeds. I don't ride w/o the jacket too often and everytime I come home unscathed, I remind myself "how stooopid you are for riding w/o your jacket"
I'm sorry that that .000000001% of the time you rode w/o yours jumped up and bit you. I hope you heal quickly. I hope you get lotsoo moola $$$$ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D from the insurance company. Those bastards! Hopefully they pay you back for the 4 million dollars you've given them (all figures approximate, of course) over the years! Good luck and feel better soon!

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Greeny!

Glad you are ok!! You should have worn a jacket! You are so lucky you pulled away with so little damage (to yourself.)

Help me with this one ..
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I am very upset, not about the bike (i really didnt like it anyway) but..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't like your bike ?? You had it custom painted, Custom wheels, polished everything!! Maybe I'm missing something.

Let us know if you keep her!

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It didnt "inspire" me. All the work i did to it sure made it a beautiful ride, but it was like a charity case. The ZX6E is just such an outdated "look". Riding with my friend on his gixxer was like a show dog and a show pig.

But for some reason my old 600R was like a great woman. Maybe it wasnt a cover girl, but it had a great soul to it. The 6E was just like some ugly bitch with alot of makeup. I didnt really feel any "connection" to it.

Oh well.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited October 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
You've said 9 out of 10 accidents are avoidable, I've said 99 out of 100. Point is, you just managed to find one of those unavoidable situations, and no doubt you will remember this next time you're debating whether or not to wear your jacket. Glad you're OK, and even happier that it didn't happen while you were on your way up one of those nice, curvy mountain roads around Phoenix, with those 200 ft dropoffs into the waiting arms of those big cactus plants!

------------------

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Leon,
He was on his way up one of those roads :)

I've seen the pictures, and I must say he did a fine job of wrecking the bike.

Glad you're ok Mike....

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
The 6E was just like some ugly bitch with alot of makeup. I didnt really feel any "connection" to it.

Oh well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn dude, no wonder she threw you to the curb :D . Sorry to hear about that crazy accident. Atleast you weren't going down the hill--could have been much much worse. I went to pick up some lunch the other day with only my helmet and gloves and felt very paranoid w/o the jacket on.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
766 Posts
Was this an actual oil spill or was the new blacktop "sweating"? I'm pretty leary of new blacktop because I've seen it "sweat" some really slippery crap on top, especially if it's sunny and hot. Just a thought. Glad your OK. Keep your chin up and get back on that horse.

------------------
James

If you're gonna ride a couch, why not just stay home?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I gotta go with Burn on this one! Badmouth your mount, you're gonna get thrown!
Don't believe me, next time you're with your intimate other, get set up in the doggie style, wrap her hair tightly around your right hand, throw your left hand up in the air like the PBR bullriders do, and then whisper in her ear " You know, baby, you're not half as good a **** as your sister is!!
P. S. Wil, I'm glad to hear he did a fine job. I'd hate to think of anyone on this forum doing anything half-xssed!

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Birdman:
Was this an actual oil spill or was the new blacktop "sweating"? I'm pretty leary of new blacktop because I've seen it "sweat" some really slippery crap on top, especially if it's sunny and hot...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We looked at that possibility after we got the bike off the road and were scratching our heads about how this happened.

We walked down the highway a bit and could plainly see the oil in a stream, just as if a truck or car or whatever had blown a major something and leaked it all out onto the highway. The blacktop itself was not oily, just smooth and black. the kinda stuff that classifies as "perfect road".

But who knows. This was so messed up I wouldnt dismiss anything. All i know is the bike just lost all traction with the road with no warning.

So far the insurance company are acting like my best friend. We'll see if this continues when the adjuster checks it out. They have let me know that i can take it to any shop i want and that if, after a shop looks at it there are other damages they discover, the ins. co will readjust the estimate accordingly. :eek:

I think they were happy that i wasnt injured, as that would be more $$ for them to pay out.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
503 Posts
bummer.

get some bag balm. it comes in a square green can. keep your scabs nice & wet w/this stuff.. it works great.. less pain, quicker to heal, very minor to no scarring at all.

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
" You know, baby, you're not half as good a **** as your sister is!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YeeeHawww :D

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i thought of that already. sorry. Although the idea *HAS* been buzzing around my head for the last day... hmmmm.. i dunno.

If it *was* oil from the blacktop i definately could have a case. There were no "fresh oil" signs.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good deal with the insurance company.. refer them to us if the whole ordeal turns out good! And, I'm glad you're alright too! There will be other green ninjas... want to borrow mine?? ;)

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
www.joe4speed.com

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike is being totalled by the ins. company. I will be getting a 2000 ZX6R, although not right away as i am going to have to save up about 2 or $3K first. (hell no im not gonna finance it!)

BTW, anyone want a perfect full muzzy stainless system for a 6E? I also have a Fox TwinClicker Shock and a perfect set of PM Chicane wheels for the ZX6E for sale now, as they are not on the totalled bike.

Ill give SBW members first dibs before they go one eBay.

here is what i am asking for the parts.

Muzzy Stainless (full) mint: $300

Fox TC Shock (in box) used: $250

1 SET (fr-Rr) PM Chicane wheels w/ rear sprocket (no dings, no scratches, no dents): $500/set

IN ADDITION:
Like new "Factory" Performance Ignition Advance Rotor, used, but still have it in packaging, P/N RTR-KAW-6 This is a +4deg. Advance. On the Dyno it added about 1 or 2 HP on the low end and about 1 or 2 HP on the top end. Selling for $30.00

All these parts dont include shipping, which usually isnt that much anyway.

------------------
Fear Oil.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited October 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, i went to the dealer today, the owner wasnt there so i didnt really talk much, but one of the salesman let me know what the 6R's are going for. They have 1 Green/black 2000 ZX6R (it is still in the crate) $8100.00 is a bit high for end of season, im sure i could get them down a bit (cash) but does anyone know of any dealers that have a green/black 2000 model for sale (new/0 miles)?

Havnt heard back from the ins co yet so i dont know what ill be getting as far as settlement.

------------------
Fear Oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts