Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never owned a m/c I'm pretty curious as to what basic/non-basic maintenence entails on bikes. How often do you change the oil? What's this about oiling/adjusting the chain? Does maintence vary from bike to bike? Do you adjust the tires, and how often? What's an ideal air pressure for riding/strip/track days? So many questions!! If anyone has the time (or a link) to throw down answers for some (or all, I love you!) of these questions I'd really appreciate it. I realize that bike parts probably aren't going to have the life expectancy that most car parts do (exluding my damn Trans Am...break, break break...) but I'm interesting to see what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks again guys!
NickW

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Go to a second-hand book store.

Pick up a used owners-manual on any basic m/c or a Clyners manual on any basic m/c.
THEN you can go through the general maintence & even deeper into what makes a m/c tick.
That will save anyone on this board from trying to ask such questions.
How do you think, we as new m/c dealers after WWII picked up on all the British irons we were bring over --- we bought NEW WorkShop Manuals directly from the manufacturers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

That answers that one, thank you for not making me sound like a complete idiot :)

Nick W

·
Registered
19 Posts
Smitty was not being nasty...just honest & resonable. To answer your questions properly, one would need to type at length to cover all the information you requested.

Most of your basic maint. for your newer bikes are at about the same intervals. There are some specifics regarding each model, but most of them are pretty close.

An owners manual for the type of bike you are interested in will tell you most of what you need to know. When you get a bike the manual will go into the specifics for that model, and you should be in good shape.

:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you know what type of bike you are getting and it is popular you can probably find the manual on the web like i did. If you know what bike i would be more than happen to help you look for it. On my bike i change the oil about every 2000miles and tire i check the pressure alot just to make sure it is were i want it. You can look for sites on the type of bike you are getting and they usually have a lot of info there as well about what they do with there bikes. Hope this helps and if you need any help let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts