Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people have rode my bike said that it was tipsy and a workload to balance at low speeds compared to their bikes.

Is there any problem with my bike (98 zx6r)?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tipsy?? A "workload to balance at low speeds (compared to their bikes)?? What the heck does that mean? You need friends that can give you better feedback than "tipsy".
What are their bikes? A ZX6 should present no low speed handling problems, if everything is aligned properly, and in good working order. Has it been crashed? Maybe the forks are tweeked, or the frame is out of alignment? Tire pressure O.K.? Has anyone been monkeying around with the fork height adjustment (raising/lowering forks in the triple clamp)?

Can these guys actually ride? Do they have any clue what they are talking about?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Except for REALLY low tire pressure it's odd for handling problems to show up at low speed. What bikes do they ride???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have a cbr600 f3 and a superhawk.
Its hard to describe here. They just say that it feels different from their bikes. When they say tipsy, like at low speeds, it seems the bike wants to fall when you turning the bike.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
zx6r98kawi said:

would lowering the ride height cause this?
What have you done to alter the suspension, come on, clue us in to the whole situation so we might be able to speculate.

If you raised the forks way too much, maybe, but I'd expect this to affect it at speed more noticably.

Did they ride it over 20 mph or was all this parking lot stuff??????

Too many variables without a little more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they said when its up to speed it flicks, quick from side to side around the curves. The guy who rides the superhawk said its like a toy. But around low speed, like parking lot speed like you mentioned or turning from a stop, its like the bike wants to fall on its side. I think the bike might have been lowered.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Try lowering the training wheels, then send them out for another try!:D

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Seriously

sounds like a crashed bike with bent forks or steering head. maybe both:(

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the '02 model and they are probably substantially the same. My guess is that (if they know what they are talking about) the bike is either out of adjustment or damaged. Mine had no handling problems at all. :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think they don't know what they're talking about but the info is still to sketchy to tell for sure.

IMO, if the bike was bent in some way it would fall one way much more than the other. This isn't what we're hearing so I ASSUME (and what happens when you assume :twofinger ) it is equal to both sides

Plus if something were bent the handling would almost certainly be worse at speed, not when slow??

None of this makes much sense so I'm going with 'theyfulluvit' for now.:D :D

As far as lowering the bike: what makes you say this???????????

If the front is lowered the steering would be quicker and VERY SLIGHTLY MAYBE could kinda result in weird handling but to do so the bike would have to be lowered an absurd amount (like the forks are sticking up through the triples 2 inches or more. As far as I know there is no height adjustment on the stock rear so I doubt anyone went so far as to lower it there unless you bought it from a VERY short rider like 5'0".

Again, what makes you think it was lowered, how far are the forks up through the triple, are there stock springs in the forks??

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I've riden both the CBR F3 and Superhawk (you did say Superhawk, right?). I also own a 00 ZX6R (and as mentioned, has changed very little), and ride it everyday.

Of course they are going to be different. The CBR F3 has a lower center of gravity than the ZX-6R. Kawi's are known to be top/front heavy, so unless you're used to most of the weight being up and forward, you won't feel confortable on it.

The Superhawk on the other hand, *feels* like my ZX-9R (how do I know, I work on my buddy's Superhawk on a regular basis, these days). The weight on the Superhawk seems to be very well weight distributed. Come on... it's a sport tour bike.

Like Apex said, we really don't have enough info to really say, but honestly, the only two Kawasakis that I've ever ridden that wanted to *fall on it's side* were the Ninja 600R and the ZX-7R.

You might want to check to have the frame checked out, and get better problem diagnosing friends. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts