Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright- I have a question for all you experts in here. I've been riding dirt for the past 11 years and have decided to invest in a street bike. My problem is I'm 6'4 215lbs. I've ridden a few 600's and found those a little to small. I was wondering what bikes you guys would recommend. I have a lot of experience on a motorcycle- but not on the street. What is the best suited street bike for a guy my size and weight? I fell in love with the look of the R6, but it was too small.
I appreciate any expertise you guys can provide.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know exactly what type of sportbike you're looking for, or what you plan on doing with it, but I'll tell you that you're not "too" big for many of the bikes.

I'd recommend checking out the following:

Kawasaki ZX-9R
Honda VFR-800
Aprilia Falco

Just to name a few. Are you interested in new or used? What type of riding will you be doing? There are a number of considerations that you need to address. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll get more responses here than you need.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me personally (6' @ 205-210) think that a ZX-9R would be a good bike. If you are really confident in ability try out a ZX-11.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
From another point of veiw, I'm 6'2", and 170#'s. My son is 6'6" and 270, I ride a gixxer 600, my son has riden as well, and didn't consider it too small..nor do I. The thing you have to understand is, the riding postiton on some sportbikes, i.e. the gixxer, R6..is what's know as a head down ass up style, like higher pegs, lower bars, which strech ya out over the tank, and make these bikes seem like they are small, when in fact, for spirited road riding, or track riding, or racing,this is prefered, where as a Kaw, or Honda, are more upright, and much more comfy for most folks..Oh..and stay away form the high end Duc's:D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Have you considered a dual sport? They are about the tallest bikes I can think of. :confused:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
My .02 cents

Well, I am 6'5" 230. I had a dual sport, but it was not all that great. Then I got my VFR, and have not looked back. It might be a tad on the small side, not by much though. It handles great for being as tall as I am. Might want to look into a Sport Touring bike. Is there any size as far as cc's that you are trying to stick with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as size goes- I was gonna try to stick in the 600 to 750 range for my first street bike. Of course I'm looking for a used bike to commute to school and work on-so a lot of city driving- but I'm also out in the middle of nowhere- so 200+ mile trips on weekends. What are you guys opinions on the Kaw zx6r,zx7r and the Honda f4i?
Thanks for your replies so far.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Sounds like you are looking maybe for a smaller bike but my experience on 1000's has been very good.
My YZF 1000 from 1997 (i.e. not an R1, here for a single year, still in production in Europe) has been great. I'm 6'2" and ~190 and extremely comfortable on this bike. I can almost sit straight up with no weight on my wrists if I hug up close to the tank but can also get into a good track position with a little more weight on the bars for leverage if needed. For around town it's great since it's a 5 speed there is more speed range per gear so less shifting, it'll pull cleanly from 2500 rpm if needed too. It was bike of the year for many mags around the world before the R1 came along in 98 to reset the standards for race replicas in the litre class. Handles great too, check out the pics on the track day forum.

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14042

I've heard great things about the ZX9 too, ridden a ZX11 a couple times and think you'd fit well on that too. Don't necessarily fear the bigger bikes. With your dirt experience and living in Lubbock (been there a couple times) I don't think you'll have trouble if you take it slow for a couple months and take the MSF course before you ride on the street.

Good luck and don't forget, they can't hurt you if you simply consider yourself invisible and that the ones who do see you are going to try to kill you. Don't be afraid but trust no one to do what makes sense.

Let us know what you decide.

PS if you want to try a 600 first look at the ZX6 (not 6R) or the YZF600R (not R6).

PPS get some help with suspension setup so the bike, no matter what size it is, is set up for you especially the spring preload. Aim for no more than 1.5 inches of sag.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I agree, the YZF600R would probably be one of the more comfortable bikes for your riding requirements. And far easier on the pocketbook than their racier counterparts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
apexismaximus said:
get some help with suspension setup so the bike, no matter what size it is, is set up for you especially the spring preload. Aim for no more than 1.5 inches of sag.
With his weight being 215 lbs, and if this is a stock spring, wouldn't you have to set the shit outa' the pre-load? And by doing so, doesn't that cause the shock to lose it's effectiveness. Just curious is all.

Sorry to get off topic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Paul748S said:

With his weight being 215 lbs, and if this is a stock spring, wouldn't you have to set the shit outa' the pre-load? And by doing so, doesn't that cause the shock to lose it's effectiveness. Just curious is all.

Sorry to get off topic.
Doesn't the PowerCommander rid the bike of all sag?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
As far as I know the Power Commander is a computer mapping change and has 0 to do with suspension.

I would think that as long as the spring isn't so compressed as to decrease suspension travel it won't be TOO big a problem. What I mean by this is that if the spring is so compressed that the coils actually touch and prevent further compression of the suspension prior to the true travel limit of the suspension being met i.e. bottoming. And to be honest there isn't SH1T to tax the suspension on around Lubbock. All straight all the time, no offense.

Obviously it would be best to get after market springs to match his weight and this is relatively cheap and easy in the front but the rear is a bit more of a chore as far as I know. 215 isn't that big so I think he could get pretty close to right with the stock springs. He11, unless he does some sport touring and gets away from Lubbock he might as well leave it VERY soft and enjoy the plush ride.:D :D :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am 5 10 and about 2 bills. You asked about an f4i so I will say that I love mine and am very comfortable on it. Plenty of power too! I would go to a bike shop near you and sit on all the bikes you are thinking of and see which one feels the best to you. That is probably the best way to go about this. Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No offense taken Apexis-you're right- there isn't anything out here in Lubbock- its flat- I swear I can see Colorado from here. Thats one reason I don't think I'd have a problem getting used to a bigger bike-such as a zx9r or 929rr- but I have to take insurance cost into consideration-thats why I'm leaning toward a smaller cc. I'll probably insure with state farm- unless anyone else has another suggestion.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Trickdad said:
No offense taken Apexis-you're right- there isn't anything out here in Lubbock- its flat- I swear I can see Colorado from here. Thats one reason I don't think I'd have a problem getting used to a bigger bike-such as a zx9r or 929rr- but I have to take insurance cost into consideration-thats why I'm leaning toward a smaller cc. I'll probably insure with state farm- unless anyone else has another suggestion.
Thanks for all the replies so far.
Okay, don't everyone :hurl: at once , my soap box is comin' out. At least I know I've said this 4 times on other threads. LOL

Buy a whatever you can afford in cash/personal loans/ credit cards and get liability only.

The math for this 30 y/o, clean record, married on a 97 YZF1000 worth ~6500

500 deductable full coverage 1500 per year
Liability only $97 dollars per year

so I'm rebuying my bike every 4 years

Unless your going to total it or get it stolen EVERY 4 years I don't see how it makes sense to buy full coverage unless you have a more expensive bike or poor security where you park it (I always get an apartment with a garage because of my choice to get liability only).

That all said and not knowing your budget there are likely plenty of ZX-9's out there for 5 grand or less if you can travel 5-600 miles to get one. Check out www.traderonline.com.

Just remember what free advice is worth and don't cry to me if it doesn't work out. I'm sure that at some point I will total a bike and it'll be a total loss financially, I just don't see it happening every 4 years.

Of course the usual disclaimer isn't complete without: IMHO.

:D :D :D

Good luck

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
PS all this holds true on a 3-4000 ZX6/YZF600R etc also. The numbers are all gonna be smaller but the ratios similar.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Amber6 said:
NEWS FLASH

My boyfriend, Brian, is 6'6" and is now topping the scales at 275 lbs. He likes to trade bikes and ride my R6 a lot during our rides.
He'll ride it for an hour or more at a time with no complaints whatsoever. The only reason he gives it back after an hour is because I MAKE HIM give it back to me!
So, considering that he is 2 inches taller than you, and he weighs about 60 lbs. more than you, I don't see how you can be too small for an R6. Yeah, it's probably the most compact of all the 600's, so if you think it's too small, the other 600s you try will probably feel a bit roomier.
If you want a 600, get one. You are not too small for them. if you still think you are too small for one, then get a GSXR-750.
:D
I've never heard you use the word small so many times before and the post also had a lot of references to your boyfriend. Need to talk? :D :D :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Amber6 said:
NEWS FLASH

My boyfriend, Brian, is 6'6" and is now topping the scales at 275 lbs. He likes to trade bikes and ride my R6 a lot during our rides.
He'll ride it for an hour or more at a time with no complaints whatsoever. The only reason he gives it back after an hour is because I MAKE HIM give it back to me!
So, considering that he is 2 inches taller than you, and he weighs about 60 lbs. more than you, I don't see how you can be too small for an R6. Yeah, it's probably the most compact of all the 600's, so if you think it's too small, the other 600s you try will probably feel a bit roomier.
If you want a 600, get one. You are not too small for them. if you still think you are too small for one, then get a GSXR-750.
:D
I think that it has more to do with length of leg or proportions. I love the R6 and it feels very comfortable for me. But my husband who is only 6'2" claims that there isn't enough room for his legs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Trickdad said:
Alright- I have a question for all you experts in here. I've been riding dirt for the past 11 years and have decided to invest in a street bike. My problem is I'm 6'4 215lbs. I've ridden a few 600's and found those a little to small. I was wondering what bikes you guys would recommend. I have a lot of experience on a motorcycle- but not on the street. What is the best suited street bike for a guy my size and weight? I fell in love with the look of the R6, but it was too small.
I appreciate any expertise you guys can provide.
If you like the R6 buy it, you'll adapt.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts