Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
First off this site is great, and a huge help. I was wondering what bikes adapt to shorter people well. Not really short, but not tall either. I'm about 5' 7" and was wondering what sportbikes are good for this height. I'm mostly looking for a ~600cc bike. None of that gixxer1000 or R1 stuff. Thanks.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Any of them...

Being 6'2", I find myself saying that most all bikes would fit better if I were 5'7" or so.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
lol

If you're looking at 600's, I would point ya towards the Hondas. I started on an F4 when it was brand new. Most people will tell you to look for one a few years old though, and with good reason. it hurts less to drop a used bike than it does to drop a new one (at least mentally).

The most important thing to remember though is not to push yourself beyond your limits. Also, enroll in an MSF course as soon as possible if you have not already taken one.

Other than that, just be safe!

·
Registered
518 Posts
short seat height

The Kawi Zx6e (not the 6R) has one of the lowest seat heights of any sportbike out there. It happens to be a great newbie bike (not sure if you fall into this category..just assuming) its light, easy to maneuver and learn on. Not a real hard core sportbike, but you won't feel intimidated. You can always trade up when you are ready!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Depends on how long your legs are. I am 5'8" and have no problems with my bike. I also have no problems with my husbands Busa (when he lets me ride it :rolleyes: which isn't very often). The only bike that I found a little tall just admiring in the store was the Aprillia :drool: Good luck in your bike search :)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
If you find a bike that you like but it feels a slight bit too tall, go and talk to some shops before you buy anything. Look for places that deal with racing suspensions. My fiancee and I took my 2000 F4 to a place and they were able to lower it 1.75" so that she could ride it, and she is only 5'1". It was around $600-$700, but well worth it the first time I saw her face when she sat on it and realized she could ride it with no problems. I've even ridden it since then and at 6'2" and 230 or so, it was just fine. I probably rode it 40 or so miles and I couldn't tell any difference in handling. Anyway, good luck with the search, but I doubt you'll have any problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are cursed with short arms as well, something you may want to look out for is the reach to the bars and the general ergonomics of your upper body. I've recently realized that in order to steer the bike properly, I need to be a "tank hugger", in order to get my (short) arms low enough for maximum leverage. My TT has a moderate bar position that really needs to be lower to take some of the stress off of my (now aching) shoulder. Clip-ons, here I come.

Just some food for thought.

Robert

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok talkin about short people how about square people... I'm 5'4 and 180lbs. I own a 1990 600R ninja.... it has an air shock instead of the conventunal coil and shock setup.... I can pump it up to the max (4 lbs) and can barely touch the ground... with no air in the shocks I can get one foot and maybe a toe down... it really P*sses me off...
Next topic... being in college. money gets sucked out of your wallet faster than buying new leathers or tuning up your bike... $600 is either enjoying my bike or a set of text books for one term (10 weeks). Does anyone else have any other ideas beside getting a racing supention or riding on fully deflated shocks?
Thanks in advance
Rudy

·
Registered
71 Posts
I raised my wifes R6 fork tubes 3/4" throught the triple clamp and put the rear shock adjustment ring on the next to last notch. She is 5'4" and can now sit flat footed on it. Handling seems fine still, but she's only about 105lbs. It's had two riders on it (at the same time) and still doesn't bottom out. You can also get some "dog bones" shock lowering links for the rear. They are advertised in the back of Sportrider magazine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts