Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had a sportbike for thier first vehicle, before a car? i am slightly worried about doing this because i havent driven on the road before so i would be learning with a bike.
thanks

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Obtain a car FIRST & learn how to do normal servicing on it---think of what it would have been like in a situation like a small fender bender IF you were riding a sportbike. Drive the cage for a season & around next spring sign up & take the MSF Course which will teach you the bar basics of riding with two wheels.

Around the same time you can start to look around for a 'used' bike to lean on & NOT a sportbike as a first bike. You need something simple to learn on due to balance co-ordinations, timing, traction, & just so much more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
armstrong*short said:
has anyone had a sportbike for thier first vehicle, before a car? i am slightly worried about doing this because i havent driven on the road before so i would be learning with a bike.
thanks
My first vehicle was a motorcycle, learned to ride my friend's dad Honda cruiser on the road. Then got my motorcycle license at age 16. Took the MSF class of course. That was 18 years ago.

Then was out on the road on my own. Would I recommend a bike as a first vehicle?

I did it, but crashed once, one month after getting my own first bike (Kawi EX500). Minor, low speed drop...minor damages.

Just be extra careful, you may want to practice with a friends bike like I did, before getting your own.

Use your better judgement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i got one, it would probably be a kawasaki zzr250. and i dont know if this means anything, but i am a gymnast and my balance is a lot better than most

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have a bike yet, but I'm in the same boat you are pal. Just got my drivers license and, honestly, after going to a dealer and just looking around, I gotta agree with the guys on waiting for a year in a cage. Those things are more intimidating than they look!

The only way I'd even consider it is if you raced motocross since the age of about 10.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Got my bike license at 14, cookee wasnt even born yet, but i had driven a truck since i was 8, so i guess I dont count...

Life on the farm
is a little laid back
early to rise
early in the sack...

Thank God Im a country boy

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bro,

Drive to school everyday for a year or two first.

I was driving for nearly 5 years before I started riding. I would recommend starting out after you get completely comfortable with handling the random situations that daily driving in a cage brings. It may seem like awhile but in the meantime you can ride dirtbikes and still haul ass on those. Don't get too far ahead of yourself, trust me, you'll enjoy it much more if you're better prepared. Don't be rushed into getting a sportbike; they'll still be there when your in college, just sexier and faster the older we get.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
where do you live? how populate is your area? if you live a busy town/city, forget about it being your first vehicle. Traffic laws and pattern is a killer to learn when first starting out and doing it on a bike is almost suicidal...

Buy a cage 1st and learn the rules of the road, then get a bike and relearn the rules for the road, but this time on two wheels (or one :p, jk).

The safest thing when your on your bike is to be aware of your surroundings and if you don't have any experience on the road, you won't know what to look for. At least driving a car for a bit will get you in a habit to look around. It's much more important on a bike since you are invisible out there. MSF will teach you how to "survive" with safe techniques and practices that will increase you odds of being noticed. It's actually quite simple and any idiot could have figured it out, but most of us don't realize these simple tricks or don't use it in real life until we are shown it.

btw, I started driving at 18 (I know, late start, but I was lazy in HS...) and got my bike at 19. I'm no expert at driving, but I can guarantee you that I've ridden a lot more miles on my bike than my cars. 1st year, I only drove 6k on my car. 1st on the bike, 15k+.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Besides all that's mentioned, it's kinda nice to have a car first because you can get around in relative comfort regardless of the weather.

Not saying it has to be a new car, but a car none the less.

Also, it's kind hard to sleep in your cycle. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JBaz said:
where do you live? how populate is your area? if you live a busy town/city, forget about it being your first vehicle. Traffic laws and pattern is a killer to learn when first starting out and doing it on a bike is almost suicidal...
i live about 10mins out of a very small town, not busy.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
then get yourself a 250cc bike and go from there. After a season or two of riding and driving a car (if you get one) you should be good enough to "upgrade" to another bike. Definitely take the MSF course and invest money in good gear, this is at least gloves, jacket and a good full face helmet.

Also how old are you?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Small town would work very well. Just remember, you are invisible, and if anyone makes mistake around you you lose. Two up is for skilled riders, what you don't see can hurt you (and you have to learn that too).

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I think that Armstrong mentioned he had his eye on a Kwacker 250. Still I would go for the cage first JUST so you will get the hang of what it is like to be the actual driver amongst traffic. For being a passenger in a car is one thing but being the driver is so different.

Also this is the WORST time to be looking for a new or used m/c for it is prime summer weather comming up along with the high school kids will be comming out with promises of their parents that they can have a m/c if they have good marks at school.

The Kwacker ZZR-250 is a lovely first bike as it really can snort & next would be a 500cc parallel twin such as put out by Kawasaki & Suzy. You might find in the late Autumn is a good time to buy a used, but in lovely condition of any of the above bikes.

Lastly take the MSF Course for though your balance, timing & co-ordination will be better then most, due to being a gymnist, riding a m/c is so different to driving a cage, for things like traction, lean, body balance & so much more are the things they teach.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
ARKninjaZX9 said:
Got my bike license at 14, cookee wasnt even born yet, but i had driven a truck since i was 8, so i guess I dont count...

Life on the farm
is a little laid back
early to rise
early in the sack...

Thank God Im a country boy
Damn, you must be an old fart! :twofinger

Think back to those "good ol' days". How many cars were on the road back then? How many inattentive drivers compared to today? What knd of area did you grow up in; lots of traffic or a small town? No offence, mate, but you can't compare your learning experience to what a newb will go through today.

PS - You forgot the line, "Ain't much an ol' country boy like me can't hack." ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JBaz said:
then get yourself a 250cc bike and go from there. After a season or two of riding and driving a car (if you get one) you should be good enough to "upgrade" to another bike. Definitely take the MSF course and invest money in good gear, this is at least gloves, jacket and a good full face helmet.

Also how old are you?
yeah, i plan on getting covered head to toe in gear.
i am 15, and my original plan was to get my car, and bike license at the same time.(b-day is in january) but only buy a bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
first vehichle

I was riding a dirtbike, everywhere long before the age of thinking about making it legal and all. I confess, this was done in the early 80s, and in a rural town also. I would be lucky to see any other person, while taking a ride.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
cookeetree said:
Damn, you must be an old fart! :twofinger

Think back to those "good ol' days". How many cars were on the road back then? How many inattentive drivers compared to today? What knd of area did you grow up in; lots of traffic or a small town? No offence, mate, but you can't compare your learning experience to what a newb will go through today.

PS - You forgot the line, "Ain't much an ol' country boy like me can't hack." ;)
Hell there werent no cars man...Just wagons..sheeez

1 - 20 of 41 Posts