Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this article at http://www.motorcycledaily.com

I think it sums up what a lot of us have been preaching for years now. Check it out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Search of Utility: The Over-Kill of Modern Motorcycles
by Dirck Edge

Ever wonder why scooters are so popular? Yeah, I know, there is a bit of a sales slump in Europe right now, but scooters are big, and big fun.

Scooters have two wheels and a motor . . . just like a motorcycle. Most scooters, however, have relatively tiny engines and tiny power outputs. They might do zero to sixty in nine seconds (if they can even get to sixty), while your garden-variety Hayabusa does it in three seconds flat. The scooter rider might just have a bigger smile on his face, however.

"Bigger is better" seems to have pervaded every aspect of motorcycle manufacturing.

Open-class sportbikes were roughly 900cc for years, but now all of them are creeping towards 1000cc. Sport tourers on the lighter end of the scale are also now 1000cc, typically. We all think we need more power and torque. We need to feel like King Kong on our bikes, blithely dismissing the cage drivers with a quarter turn of throttle.

Does anyone remember when Honda's CB350 twin was a big seller? It had style, performance and utility. It could get you where you wanted to go, and you could have a lot of fun getting there . . . okay, so you don't remember. Just trust me.

The point is this. Good, cheap transportation can be plenty of fun. You don't need mega displacement and mega horsepower. Maybe, it took the resurgence of scooters to remind us of this, but it's true. Now, if the manufacturers would just start making new, modern, small displacement, lightweight, simple machines that are easy on the pocketbook, while providing plenty of utility and fun. Hey, there might even be a market for bikes like this.

©Copyright The Edge Family Trust 1999-2001. All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced, reprinted or republished in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise without written permission from The Edge Family Trust.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: P.S.

CBR Brutha said:
just for the record, I am not advocating scooter-riding on ANY level. It's the principle of the article that I think is important.
It's okay, Nick. You can advocate scooter riding. I do, they're a frickin' blast! Last year at Road Atlanta we had 2 of the Aprilia SR50's. One was a Corser Replica, and the other was the super modified (75cc big-bore kit, exhaust, clutch, etc). Both could do wheelies and stoppies, and the latter had a top speed above 80mph! Everybody that saw them gave a huge thumbs-up. I wouldn't have one as my primary ride, but for an around town, goofy little ride, they're worth it! John and I want to get a couple to rip through The Dragon. Now that would be cool (and possibly embarrassing for a lot of sportbike riders)!

Thanks for the post, Nick!

·
Registered
766 Posts
If it weren't for the fact that they drive me nuts on road trips, I'd be on a 600 right now. Once I started going to the track quite a bit I sold my XX for something smaller. But freeway cruising at 7000RPM drives me apeshit. So I bought something that handles much like a 600 but with gearing that's a little more subdued on the road trips. The increase in power was only necessary to handle the taller gearing. Honest!!:D ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: Re: P.S.

Paul748S said:

John and I want to get a couple to rip through The Dragon. Now that would be cool (and possibly embarrassing for a lot of sportbike riders)!

The weekend we left from the Gap this summer they were having some kind of scooter convention. Beatnik Central. But hey, to each his own... ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
I just read this article at http://www.motorcycledaily.com

I think it sums up what a lot of us have been preaching for years now. Check it out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Search of Utility: The Over-Kill of Modern Motorcycles
by Dirck Edge

The point is this. Good, cheap transportation can be plenty of fun. You don't need mega displacement and mega horsepower. Maybe, it took the resurgence of scooters to remind us of this, but it's true. Now, if the manufacturers would just start making new, modern, small displacement, lightweight, simple machines that are easy on the pocketbook, while providing plenty of utility and fun. Hey, there might even be a market for bikes like this.

©Copyright The Edge Family Trust 1999-2001. All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced, reprinted or republished in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise without written permission from The Edge Family Trust.
This bike already exists. Its the Kawasaki ex250. Fits the description pretty good. Small displacement (250), lightweight (305 lbs), simple (even I can maintain this bike and I am mechanically challenged), easy on pocketbook ($2999 brand new and gets 70 mpg), and it can break any speed limit in the US. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think we'll see a drastic increase in sales of scooters and small dispacement motorcycles over the next few years, both in rural and urban areas. They are the perfect cheap alternate mode of transportation in just about any setting. As the population increases and finding a place to park your cage becomes more difficult and frustrating, people will look for another way. You can park 4 scooters in the space it takes for a car and you can drive for weeks on what it takes to fill a car tank once. Some even have fairly generous on-board storage.

At this stage, it might be a little embarrassing to be seen riding a scooter by your sport riding buddies, but what if everyone rode them for everyday transportation? Not so uncomfortable if everybody's doing it.

Plus, they are a blast to ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My buddies little brother has had so many DUI's that he's lost his license for the next ten years, if not indefinitely. His dad bought him a bad-ass Derbi scooter, that'll run about 55 mph. It looks very similar to the Aprilia, but not quite as expensive. (hpjunkie, you know what I'm talkin' about). Anyways, after a drunken wreck on the scooter, dad's taken the thing away from him, and has it sitting at his shop. My buddies and I go over there all the time and ride that thing, and when I say that we ride it, I mean that we BEAT on it!

It's a blast to jump it like a dirt bike, do stoppie's on it, stand-up wheelie's, (you gotta work for your money on those, though), etc. It is an out and out riot!!

Two thumbs up!! :twofinger
That is all.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My buddy Jim brought an XR50 to a couple track days for a pit bike. I took it out in a field next to the pits for a while. That little thing was vicious!! I'd pitch it around and try to powerslide it and it'd try to highside my ass into next week! I don't think I've laughed so hard in my life. It was a blast, but it didn't keep me from going back out on the track.

S

·
0 Posts
burn him at the stake!

AAAHHHHHH!:eek:

look at Birdman's post #. It's the sign of the beast, and he's talking about scooters. He's the damn devil and he's gonna use scooters to end the world!:crying: I'm taking my ass to church RIGHT NOW.

I'm a dork.

·
Registered
766 Posts
OK, for the dorks out there I have dipped my fingers in the holy place er uh holy water, and am now cleansed. You must not fear my wrath nor the prophecy of the cleansing by centrifugal clutch. WTF????:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Birdman said:
If it weren't for the fact that they drive me nuts on road trips, I'd be on a 600 right now. Once I started going to the track quite a bit I sold my XX for something smaller. But freeway cruising at 7000RPM drives me apeshit. So I bought something that handles much like a 600 but with gearing that's a little more subdued on the road trips. The increase in power was only necessary to handle the taller gearing. Honest!!:D ;)

umm why? wats wrong with bein at 7000rpm....only reason i could think of....burning more gas.....engine workin harder...i dunno....umm anyone feel free to feel in, not just birdman

·
Registered
591 Posts
Aaron2 said:
wats wrong with bein at 7000rpm....
Not a thing. Since I'm used to a Concours' extra midrange torque and lower RPMs (tho the 6R has good midrange), one of the first things that hit me on my 6R was the revs this thing turns, especially at highway speeds. Didn't really bother me (ya gotta approach it with detached professionalism, donchaknow), and now that all my senses have been recalibrated, I mistakenly found the rev limiter the other day (didn't realize I had it wound out that far)! :rolleyes:
Is 7000 RPM a problem? Mebbe for the rider, but not for the bike...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Scooters Rock!!:D
I have a piaggio typhoon 125 Scooter.
It is ace .
Cost brand new £1699 on the road
Insurance for me and the wife £70 (wife is still a learner)
Years Road tax £15
Fuel Consumtion 70-80mpg
top speed approx 75 mph
Grin factor 11/10

Bandit
Cost brand new £4000ish on the road, Value now £1500
Insurance for me only £170 (wife is not allowed)
Years Road tax £60
Fuel Consumtion 20-40mpg
top speed approx 135 mph
Grin factor 12/10

Oh and a set of tyres for the scoot is £30 The bandit will cost £150-£200 for a set of tyres.

The scoot as brembo disc brakes and showa upside down forks.

As everyday transport the scooter is cheap and chearfull and i can use it most days unless there is snow or ice on the road.
On the downside all these bikers that wave at me on the bandit seem to ignore me on the Scoot???

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Ride SuperMotards. You guys (Americans) popularized them. You remember ABC's Suberbikers event don't you?

These things are a blast everywhere, we're talking wheelies, stoppies, corner-carving, curb-jumping, pot-hole swallowing fun! They are cheap to build and run. They are a blast!
Now they aren't that good when the roads are long and straight, but come on, isn't that what airplanes are for?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:

Years Road tax £15
Road tax? Are you serious? On top of all the other taxes you pay? Maybe I shouldn't laugh. They probably have a "road tax" tagged on to all the other taxes we pay, we just don't have it itemized like you all do! ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yip we pay road tax on all our vehicles, Unless they are a classic ie over 25 years old or if you are disabled.
I pay £160 road tax for my car
£100 for the wifes car
£60 for the bandit
£15 For the scooter.
You would think with all that road tax we would have brilliant roads. DO WE HELL!:mad: The roads over here are terrible and all the fast roads are heavilly watched by the police.
And to make it worse the goverment do not put road tax revenue back into the roads budget. [email protected] that they are!!!!! Probally pays for all the expense accounts that the politicians have.

·
Registered
609 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
Yip we pay road tax on all our vehicles, Unless they are a classic ie over 25 years old or if you are disabled.
I pay £160 road tax for my car
£100 for the wifes car
£60 for the bandit
£15 For the scooter.
You would think with all that road tax we would have brilliant roads. DO WE HELL!:mad: The roads over here are terrible and all the fast roads are heavilly watched by the police.
And to make it worse the goverment do not put road tax revenue back into the roads budget. [email protected] that they are!!!!! Probally pays for all the expense accounts that the politicians have.

That sucks, My registration runs about $50.00/yr ( about 20 pounds) and that's for commercial plates.

As for road tax, of the $0.53/litre gas costs, 60% is taxes. Of the taxes, only a small percentage goes to roads, though that was the origional justification for the tax. Seems that governments do things like that everywhere. I know that in Canada, income tax was introduced to pay off the WAR (the 1st world war)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts