Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I heard the Katana was heavy
-I heard Honda Cbrs were overpriced.
-I heard Yamahas didnt make extremely good power until the top end of the powerband.
-I heard that GSXrs and Ninjas are juuust right.

Is this a fair assumption?

Anymore experience with these bikes?

Trying to decide which to get and I think I've already said which ones I want to choose from.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
ezrollin said:
-I heard Yamahas didnt make extremely good power until the top end of the powerband.

Trying to decide which to get and I think I've already said which ones I want to choose from.

It's all subject to personal opinion. I love the looks of CBR's, but the 600s aren't fast enough for me. The 1000Rs are, though.

GSXRs I don't like at all.

I own a Ninja ZX636B1, and absolutely love it.

No experience with Katanas, but they aren't even the same category as the others you listed.

You can get the opinions of others, but in the end... it's all up to which one you like the looks of the best, and which one feels the best to you. Don't buy anything based on hearsay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
which bike?

There's a couple ways to buy a bike, one is with your pocket book and the other is with your ego. always buy the bike you like best. Chances are with your experience, you won't be pushin any of 'em to their limits just yet so don't worry about magazine perfomance specs till later. My advise is stay in the 600 range with a good used bike then move up later for performance. good ridin

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Your thread is rather hard to understand. We do not know anything about your age, your height & weight, if you have a bike now of what type, milage you have clocked on it or if you are a possible newbie.

With said info we can give you a more sensible answer for some of us have been riding for a number of years to even m/cing was our business.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I say get what you like and what you feel comfortable with. All the 600s are super fast, handle well, and are fairly reliable if you take care of stuff so pick the one that makes sense for you. My F4i is starting to seem old and fat compared to the new quicker, more athletic-looking 600s on the market but it was still a great first bike for me and continues to be a good bike to ride during the week to school and on the weekends up at Mid-Ohio. I've got 4 track days planned with it this year :D

About the GSXRs... every other squidy dude on campus has one. That's pretty much how it works on those.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Re: Re: Re: bike differences, rumors?

ezrollin said:
WHY?

WHY?

thanks
I used to ride with a guy that had an 02 GSXR, and it was slow and handled like shit, IMO. I have ridden a couple since then, and I just don't like the feel of them.

I love my ZX6R because it fits me perfect, I can ride it comfortably for long periods of time, it has a ton of midrange punch, handles awesome, and, IMO, is one of the best looking bikes out there. I hate the looks of the 05+ Ninja 6Rs so I would never step up to those. From here, it would either be a ZX10R or a CBR1000RR... probably the latter. As far as comfort, I think the R6 is my favorite in the 600cc class, but it just didn't feel right on acceleration. Handle was decent, but not up to par with my bike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ezrollin said:

1. Katanas arent really a sportbike. They are a standard with sporty looking fairing. they have a steel frame instead of an aluminum one, and an engine that is well.. old. not a good buy in my book
2. CBRs are more expansive than the other big four, but have the best fit and finish. the pre- '07 or '08 are also the easiest bikes to go fast on. Really confidence inspiring. I wouldnt say they are overpriced, for that look at most buells, ducatis, aprillas etc
3. Yamahas tend to have the least throttle responce of the big four, that makes them feel somewhat anemic. There is a little lag between you getting on the throttle and them really jumpin ahead, and that holds true even for the R1. They are still really fast, just dont feel like it. Also, this makes them abit easier to ride, since the rear tire doesnt try to get away from you as much.
4. gixxers have the worst fit and finish, but the best throttle responce. Their ergonomics are the most comfortable for tooling around in parking lots, with a low seat height and close bars. Kawasakis have the most aggressive ergonomics, which are really nice if you are going to go really fast, but abit of a pain when you are just going around town, as alot of your weight is up front. Both have stellar engines and feel really fast. Kawi's are ussually more reliable. Gixxers are probably the most popular (maybe cause they are cheaper?) so that makes them less unique, but there are plenty of each of the bike out there.

Of course, there are exceptions to this

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
ezrollin said:

I think a stock answer is called for here. Unless you're already a regular track day attendee its unlikely to make much difference. The bike that looks the best, fits your budget, and seats well is the best selection. You're just plainly unlikely to have any issues with one over the others (at least the Jap bikes). I do exclude the Katana from this; see Vash's note on it specifically.

On Vash's supersport note, those are personal generalizations. I take issue with the seating of the GSXR over an '05-'06 ZX-6R. I specifically chose the '05 Kawi for seating comfort reasons over the crowded, rack-like seating of the GSXR. The point is that you ought to sit on a bunch of bikes, feet up, elbows slightly bent, to get a feel for how it will seat. :2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Actually, I never ridden one of those ('05 zx6), and true people with different body type fit differently. Personally, I was amazed at how great the gixxers felt when just sitting on them in a parking lot (wow, I can touch both feet, flat foot, isnt that great?) but at speed it felt abit confusing, like I couldnt really get one with the bike.

That said, the big four dont make bad bikes. They are all great, and you will most likely love whichever one you end up getting.

Well. Except maybe for the katanas.

·
Registered
352 Posts
do some research and find some reviews of bikes you want from sport rider or motorcyclist mag etc. etc they will have the real specs and give real unbiased reviews.

but i just have to remind some ppl did we forget how suzuki has been shitting all over everbody else in AMA?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Xx954HxCafexX said:
but i just have to remind some ppl did we forget how suzuki has been shitting all over everbody else in AMA?
Does that matter for anyone short of AMA racers? My opinion is no, its irrelevant.

As an aside and further evidence of my point, my wife liked the seating of the GSXR better too.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Xx954HxCafexX said:
Using bikes that are pretty far from stock, and riders that are far and above what any of us mortal are capable of. I mean, congrats on the victory and all, its great. And it means that they do make a capable bike, but I dont think you can make anything else out of that. Its certainly fair to throw it in the face of a company that never races their bike (I'm looking at you buell!), but its no mark on the performance of stock zx's, r'6s, and cbrs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Exactly... they're all fast, capable, etc, so buy the one you want to live with everyday. If you want a miniature race bike then go for some suspension and power mods. The current CBRs and other sportsters are great for modding since parts are plentiful. I was looking into getting an RC51 recently but passed since its not a particularly common bike.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Xx954HxCafexX said:
oh yes, you are so unique with your CBR, i never see those around:thumbs2:
I'm so unique with my RR! Who else would do this???

If you start with assumptions, the best thing you can do is to give up. Assumptions is the mother of all fuck ups.

To add to the list:
- I heard green makes you go faster
- I heard if you wear a t-shirt and shorts when riding, you go faster because you reduce weight
- I heard that adding NOS and K&N stickers add 5s HP for each one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: bike differences, rumors?

Vash said:
1. Katanas arent really a sportbike. They are a standard with sporty looking fairing. they have a steel frame instead of an aluminum one, and an engine that is well.. old. not a good buy in my book
2. CBRs are more expansive than the other big four, but have the best fit and finish. the pre- '07 or '08 are also the easiest bikes to go fast on. Really confidence inspiring. I wouldnt say they are overpriced, for that look at most buells, ducatis, aprillas etc
3. Yamahas tend to have the least throttle responce of the big four, that makes them feel somewhat anemic. There is a little lag between you getting on the throttle and them really jumpin ahead, and that holds true even for the R1. They are still really fast, just dont feel like it. Also, this makes them abit easier to ride, since the rear tire doesnt try to get away from you as much.
4. gixxers have the worst fit and finish, but the best throttle responce. Their ergonomics are the most comfortable for tooling around in parking lots, with a low seat height and close bars. Kawasakis have the most aggressive ergonomics, which are really nice if you are going to go really fast, but abit of a pain when you are just going around town, as alot of your weight is up front. Both have stellar engines and feel really fast. Kawi's are ussually more reliable. Gixxers are probably the most popular (maybe cause they are cheaper?) so that makes them less unique, but there are plenty of each of the bike out there.

Of course, there are exceptions to this
finally this thread got good with some good info...
Vash, I've read a good bit of youre posts and you always have good info
thanks to all:cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ttp://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0607_01_z+600cc_shootout+dynochart_horsepower_copy.jpg
^^^ just copy and paste.. put the " h " infront of it!!! Its a dyno chart
:cheers: :burnout:

wtf? why isnt the image link working? grrrrrr

1 - 20 of 28 Posts