Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend that rides with me gave me a bell that you are supposed to put on your bike. The story/myth goes that the bell helps to repel evil road spirits that try to harm you and that if you have one it helps with mechanical problems as well. Now I’m not a superstitious at all, I was more touched by the thoughtful gesture than the "purpose" of the bell.

Any of you guys have one on your bike? Mine is pretty cool it looks like a barbarian helmet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got one for my wife's bike. It works great, she hasn't had any mishaps since we put it on. ;) She did have one low-speed tipover pre-bell. :(

You are supposed to mount them as low as possible on the bike so they can more easily trap the road gremlins (the ringing drives them crazy and they end up caught in the bell). They work best when received as a present (you're not supposed to buy one for yourself...your friend is taking care of you well...), or so the story goes.

It's mostly a Harley thing (I had to get my wife's at the HD dealer). I'm not superstitious either but it's a nice gesture from one rider to another. :cool:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Yes I have heard of said bells. Though riders come up with freaky things to put on their bike & why I really do not know. None of them I would lower myself to.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I thought it was a cruiser thing... I've seen tons of HD's with them...
The way I see it, kawasaki's manufacturing process leaves the bike gremlin free. But with HD's I suppose one has to find alternatives...

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
The way I heard it was that you could not buy the bell yourself, someone had to give it to you. If you buy one and put it on, it is no good. Dunno if it works, no one bought me one :crying:. Maybe if they had, I would have not tumbled in the barbed wire fence. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Legend

"Legend has it that Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.

Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where pot-holes come from?)

Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardianä Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift."

I have one, it looks like a litte fire hydrant. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts