Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when most people ask about big bikes as starters(not that i have of course...) the general answer is no, and the founding of this is that most litre bikes and 600's are Race Replicas

oo, buzzwords

basically, they are engineered with jerky handling, insane, peaky engines, and racing suspension geometry, my question:

Does anyone make a more stable, less peaky litre bike(staying within full-fairing/full-naked sportbikes)

i know ov the sv-1000 and the like, but i dont like the half-fairing

the honda 919 has a iffy reputation(any opinions?)

any others you all can think of?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's not the bikes that are unstable (any bike will fall over if you don't pay attention) or too responsive at high revs (all vehicles have the most power at the higher RPM's), it's the POS rider on them that causes the problem.

Look for a V-twin and rake angle around 30 degrees to solve this problem......ummm, to a certain extent.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, theres a difference between an R1 and a GoldWing, thats what i mean

the goldwing is built to be big and stable, whereas the R1 is engineered to win races, with professional racers on them.

it's like the difference between a chopper and a sportbike, you have to fight to turn a chopper, whereas a sportbike will turn quite easily.

i'm basically asking a question which i answered myself to some point, there are a FEW litre bikes that arent made as purpose built race machines with some dinky mirrors and headlights(sv1000 being an example of a non-racer) i was just asking if anyone knew of others in that category

i know, its confusing as hell

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sorry, guess I was kinda an A-hole, because I noticed that your were already on the right track. check out the 'new rider' or 'new member' forums. I think there's a thread on starter bikes that meet your requirements.

Yamaha FZ 600 or 1000
Suzuki SV 650 or 1000
Kawasaki KZ 1000 or ZR7
Honda CB 919

those are kinda in between the R models and cruisers

·
Registered
42 Posts
look along the line of the "sport tourers" or whatever...i think its yamahas... uh, FJR1000..or something? i donno its like a sportbike with hard saddle bags and i think its a toned down R1
alot of companies build their pure performance sport bikes..then take the same powerplant and change out the cams or whatever to make a more mild bike for the more comfortable sport bike...this happens ALOT in dirtbike lines, for ex. the YZ to the WR... or like a CRF250 and a CRF250X...they have subtle changes such as the cam and it makes the bike a whole different animal.
-rOOster-

·
Registered
577 Posts
why not consider a supermotard as a first bike, you are already familiar with dirtbikes, i know they are slow when compaired to a sportbike on acceleration and top speed but a sport bike can't touch them in the twistys. the suzuki drz400 sm has a slightly longer wheelbase then say a gsxr600 and more conservitive steering geometry makeing it more stable, not to metion it is 100 lbs lighter than the lightest of the supersports.

just an idea :2cents:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It used to be the liter class standard bikes were not so dangerous. Like the GS1000, GS1100, KZ1000, etc. Now they are getting so much power from the motors that a "standard" bike that was liter or larger would be real fast. Like the Z1000. Only bikes I can think of that are not "unstable" (using your definition) are bikes like an 883 Sportster, 1200 Sportster, or various other bikes now classified as "cruisers".

Like you said yourself, a Goldwing is stable. Probably not much out there more stable at slow speeds, except (maybe) a police KZ1000. New sport bikes? All fast, just some are slower than others. Try an older model. Still fast but not as fast as the new stuff. Maybe pre-1998 or so. :2cents:

·
Registered
42 Posts
the guy about teh super moto bike...thats not a bad idea, i have a vid of a guy on a yzf450 supermotard conversion racing his buddy on an R1 through the twisties, id say he was doing over a 100 at times on the supermoto bike. it was sweet.
-rOOster-

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Really? i was contemplating one of those, but would have never thought they would out-class Crotch Rockets in the twistys

so yeah, i'll look at one of those super-Retar....i mean super-motards.

EDIT- i thought y'all were talking about dual-purpose bikes, such as the KLR 650

my only problems with those, are i dont really like moto-cross bikes(both me hondas are trail bikes) and even the KLR has more dirtability than i need

any experiences with the zuki V-strom 650/1L?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mr.TrevorClever said:
Kawasaki KZ 1000 or ZR7
Take the "K" off (that's an old school engine). It's just a Z1000, or technically, a ZR1000A.

Semantics. :p

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont know who told you that 919 had problems, I've never heard anything bad about them (maybe that they are slightly underpowered, but they arent race bikes)
You got a lot of Naked/Standards to choose from
the FZ's, Z, '19's, Monsters, Etc. Then there is the touring segment with the ZZR1200(600), FJR1300.
Then the two bikes that sort of stand out. The ZRX1200 (which is supposed to be a great bike, if you can stomach the old school looks. Some people love it, others hate it) and the Honda VFR Interceptor, which is supposed to be one of the hidden jewels of motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Here's a ZR1322. Was a ZR1100 until I had it made bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
DieSonne said:
i'd heard that the handling was "twitchy" on the 919
If you are coming of a dyna glide, yes. Otherwise you got nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
They only made them in '93. I bet there are still some sitting in crates, they did not sell very well. Everyone wanted sportbikes from Kawasaki back then.

I read an article about one of them in Cycle World, in an article entitled "Standards on Steroids". Got the same pistons and sleeves and the head gasket made by the same fella that did them for the project bike in that article. Also got some custom Ohlins shocks for the back and had the forks done by Lindemann Engineering.

It is a total blast to ride, it has so much power and it is easy to maneuver in tight places at ultra slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes, and that Cycle World article had one of those suped up too. But it was not as cool looking as this one. 1993 Kawasaki ZR1100 turned into 1322 cc: 176 crankshaft horsepower. Not bad for an air cooled motor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey man I go up to Seattle/Tacoma at least once a year would love to see your bike. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts