Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i been around bikes since i was about 15 or so, my dad used to race. I started on a honda 90, rode that for a while (off the streets but in real world situations). Then i rode around my 74 honda 450. Its fun but old technology and just not what im into. I really want a true sportbike, but im 6'4" and about 270. My friends all say i should just get a cruiser but it just doesnt strike me the same. Can you all suggest something that i can fit on, and will haul my weight and still be fun. My friend had a kawi 750 for sale around here, but im not sure how ill fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id love a busa. but im not sure how i could handle that. Im still sometimes intimidated by larger bikes, just because of the stigma they hold. Im a confident rider, and a big boy so the weight big bikes arent really a problem its just the power i wonder about.. I am for sure buying used. Im used to vtwins so this will my first i4. any other suggestions (and yes ill have full gear, right now i just have a helmet and gloves on my 450).

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I gathered from your post that you have quiet a few years expirience riding. Thats why I thought a busa might be alright. Sure its powerfull, nastily so. Buts its still a bike underneath all that plastic. But if you arent comfy with the idea, I cant blame ya.

Honestly I dont think your problem is going to be lack of power. A 600 can pull your 270lbs just fine. Sure it will be slower than the guy who weighs 150, but it will still be PLENTY fast. The problem is ergonomics. Try sitting on a few bikes and seing how the fit you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have years of experience yes, but not all were licenced. although the situations i was in were often comprabable to city streets. I have time on bikes but not necisarily lots of miles if that makes sense. I also want something i could work on, somethign thats not too crazy to tune or fix, i would like to stay away from fuel injection for now. thanks for your help, any more suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 6'4" and 225lb, I'm fairly comfortable on a CBR600 F2, but not sure about the new CBRs. I just haven't had the chance to play with any of them.

As to power.. It has plenty that I have yet to come close to touching, and it's an older CBR, supposedly slow now, with 'only' 100 hp to it's ~400 lb weight..

Even with me on it, it's quick.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
well a 100hp cbr with 650lbs (bike and rider and fluids)
is the same as a mustang (3200 lbs) with 492hp. Thats pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Blackbird , V-Strom, ZX9R , Bandit , Z-Rex,......all these will handle a pretty big fella....kinda sux all the sportbikes are gettin minibike sized....

What about ME ?

What about MY feelings ?

:D :cool: :squid:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Oh yeah...and my bike too....FJR bro...forgot the obvious......;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I agree, 600s are plenty fast to push anyone. Newer ones are insane.

I'm guessing pretty soon they'll make bike small enough for someone 5' to keep it upright flat-footed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
DeeOhHCee said:
Hey all, i been around bikes since i was about 15 or so, my dad used to race. I started on a honda 90, rode that for a while (off the streets but in real world situations). Then i rode around my 74 honda 450. Its fun but old technology and just not what im into. I really want a true sportbike, but im 6'4" and about 270. My friends all say i should just get a cruiser but it just doesnt strike me the same. Can you all suggest something that i can fit on, and will haul my weight and still be fun. My friend had a kawi 750 for sale around here, but im not sure how ill fit.
zrx 1200, gsf 1200 bandit, the busa is good might need to move the foot pegs farther back you'd probably be cramped. the foot pegs on my z1000 give me cramps and I'm 6'1" :2cents:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Re: Re: Big man, bike recomendations?

Fatman said:
zrx 1200, gsf 1200 bandit, the busa is good might need to move the foot pegs farther back you'd probably be cramped. the foot pegs on my z1000 give me cramps and I'm 6'1" :2cents:
I thought I was the only one getting cramps on my feet, even with knee grip on the tank. how do you ease the tension? regardless of trying different position to rest my feet, the cramp never goes away permanently while riding. I am 5' 11" and have been riding CBR600 F4, never thought my height and peg position would be the cause of it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Big man, bike recomendations?

Z_Fanatic said:
I thought I was the only one getting cramps on my feet, even with knee grip on the tank. how do you ease the tension? regardless of trying different position to rest my feet, the cramp never goes away permanently while riding. I am 5' 11" and have been riding CBR600 F4, never thought my height and peg position would be the cause of it.
i usually get cramps by my hip joints I seldom have problems with my feet; somtimes i cramp so bad that i have to either stand or hang my legs off the bike. (must look funny me riding down the road on a blaze orange motorcycle with my feet skimming the asphalt):eek:

You can buy mounts to move the pegs further back, that might solve your problem with your feet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
600's

dude the newer 600's are more then enough to pull a large person around, and there not that uncomfortable. I'm 6.1 and 290 and my friends 6's I've rode all haul me just fine but I do prefer my 1000 for longer rides.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I ride a 1000 because I don't have to row the gear box as much, I can leave the bike in second or third gear on most roads, ride for five or six hours on a long ride and your left foot really suffers.:2cents:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 6'3, 240 lbs. and I love my 2002 Suzuki Katana 600. I bought it about a month ago and can't get off the thing. I've put 1500 miles on it and have yet to feel sore. The ergos are perfect for guys like us. Not to low, but still a more aggressive style than a cruiser. The seat is amazing also. Peg heigth is fine. Only beef I have with the bike is its weight. Around 450 lbs., not too light. The bike is not fuel injected, so working on it should be a little easier. I'm just learning the ropes as well. I think you would be very happy with the Katana. I am.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Big man, bike recomendations?

Fatman said:
i usually get cramps by my hip joints I seldom have problems with my feet; somtimes i cramp so bad that i have to either stand or hang my legs off the bike. (must look funny me riding down the road on a blaze orange motorcycle with my feet skimming the asphalt):eek:

You can buy mounts to move the pegs further back, that might solve your problem with your feet.
I have that problem too, my left thigh for some reason goes sore after an hour, and it feels like the veins are stretching/compressing. So I have to stand up or drag my leg and feet. If I stand up and there are cars behind me (long one lane road), those guys freak out and start flashing me, so I try as hard not to stand or crouch anymore.

I thought of moving the pegs backward, but wouldn't that move my weight toward rear from the front? And wouldn't I also have less knee grip on the tank?? Thanks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big man, bike recomendations?

Z_Fanatic said:
I have that problem too, my left thigh for some reason goes sore after an hour, and it feels like the veins are stretching/compressing. So I have to stand up or drag my leg and feet. If I stand up and there are cars behind me (long one lane road), those guys freak out and start flashing me, so I try as hard not to stand or crouch anymore.

I thought of moving the pegs backward, but wouldn't that move my weight toward rear from the front? And wouldn't I also have less knee grip on the tank?? Thanks.
moving them back one inch will make a big differance in comfort, you might look into some of the adjustible pegs you can leave them in the stock position and lower them half an inch, you might also try some aftermarket billet foot pegs, they're a bit thinner then the stock pegs because they dont have that rubber cushion on them.:2cents:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have felt these horribly pains in my hips. One I don't remember when, I am still a new rider, but I was turning left into traffic, I wasn't giving the bike enough gas or clutch or something so it was kinda doggin out, and there was traffic comming from both ways so I really needed to go, so I just gave it a bunch of gas and let the clutch go a little hard. The other time I got the cramps I almost lost my bike on grass. It was my first day riding and I was just going up and down my g/fs road, I decided to turn left onto her lawn because the road is way to skinny to negotiate a uturn with the turning radius of my bike. I hit it to fast and the back tire went spinning, hit the throttle open on accident. I didn't loose it, but damn my hips hurt so much after that I had to stand up on the pegs until I could get off.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I get that in my right hip. Ussually comes after hanging off on some corner, or swinging my leg over a bike at times. It feels like something pops out of place and refuses to pop back in...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts