Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently informed that in an effort to save money, the State of Indiana has dropped Driver's Education courses from its high schools.

From a news article:
"Until 1980, money was specifically set aside by the state Department of Education for driver's education. That year, the legislature rolled the driver's education money into the general fund, Bodeker said.

'That put driver's education in competition with core subjects, and when push came to shove, it was easier to get rid of driver's education than math,' he said"

The problem with that statement. Indiana residents decided that paying less in taxes was a better decision than educating operators of deadly weapons (which cars actually are).

We're one of 17 states that don't require a class. I never realized how foolish things could get. Now I know why I hate Indiana drivers in general. They're simply uneducated, which I suppose is better than just being asses.

This flies in the face of my usual "let them die" philosophy because its my life the incompetents hold in their hands. So who are the other 17? I know CA and IL are not in that list, but not sure about the others.

EDIT: Oh, I put this here (as opposed to Other) because it most greatly affects my viewpoint as a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
It might forces those that did not pass the normal road driving & writen test to go & PAY a driving school for their lessons. Still unfortunately all will be taught how to drive auto cog boxes----sigh!!!!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
After spending some time in California where drivers are capable, they are just assholes, as well as driving in Puerto Rico where they are incapable assholes (as I don't think education in general is a major priority there, IMHO), I'd have to say that Indiana drivers are pretty much the shits too. Come to think of it, I can't think of any state I have driven in that I would consider to have good drivers. I think once behind the wheel too many people get the "invincible" attitude, along with the "me first" attitude, which spells trouble for anyone driving anything less than a tank.

I guess my point is, I don't see the cutting of the drivers education classes as having that big of an effect on how people drive. I certainly don't drive the way I did in my drivers ed class. I drive the way I do because I value my safety as well as the safety of others. It's more common sense than anything, IMO. All the education in the world is useless if it is not utilized. The people who are concerned with proper driving skills will learn them by doing, observing, and talking to other drivers.

"Man who drive like hell, get there soon enough"-I always liked that one. :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I never had a drivers ed course in my PA high school. We ain't never had allot of classes that those fancy big sity skools had.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tippmann said:
I never had a drivers ed course in my PA high school. We ain't never had allot of classes that those fancy big sity skools had.
LOL, well put. My wife's high school did, and they had a graduating class of only like 50 or so, so perhaps this is a redneck decision.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
most people wear fullfaced helmets to protect there face. Tippman wears it to hide the missing teeth.:twofinger

rednecks rool!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts